Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Using VDJ8 with external Mixer - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi there,

not sure if its a bug, so let me explain:

When VDJ 8 is configured to use an external mixer (VMS 4.1 in my case), all the controls in the mixer section (gain, EQ, volume fader, crossfader) are working only as visual control and do not modify the sound itself?

I made a test with VMS 4.1 connected but using the internal soundcard from the notebook for output. The factory default mapper for the VMS 4.1 was used, so the fake options were set with ONINIT. I played a song and changed the gain on the VMS 4.1, the size of the wave form changed but the sound not, thats alright. Then I turned the EQs on the VMS and the sound was changed, I think this is not OK. If VDJ and the VMS modify the sound at the same time, the result will be the summary of both but only the EQ change on the VMS was expected. Maybe the same problem with volume faders (for example linear vs. quadratic), but this was not tested by me.

What about this?

Regards, Christian

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:16 am
cgarling wrote :
working only as visual control and do not modify the sound itself

Correct. They don't modify the sound because you've selected "external mixer" and an external mixer has its own EQ and volume controls (real ones).

When you have a real mixer, you no longer need the virtual one.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:42 am
But my test showed an other result. Gain did not affect the sound, but the EQ does.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:44 am
Ah yes, sorry. I was not paying attention!

You explained clearly. My mistake.

You are correct. If both software and hardware affect the sound, that's wrong.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:56 am
Developers, what do you say? Is this a bug or was my test wrong?

Regards, Christian

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:01 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
will be fixed
thanks for reporting

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:05 am
No problem, thanks for fixing :-)

I will make a complete test at the coming weekend and post my results as a summary if its okay. Or should I make a separate post for any (possible) issue?

Regards, Christian

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:09 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
fixed in builds ending at .631 or greater

You can post here no problem.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:14 am
Hi,

the EQ problem is fixed, but the deck assignment is broken now. ONINIT has mixer_order 3124, but in the Deck drop down field Automatic uses 1,2,3,4. If I type in 3,1,2,4 manually its fine. 3,1,2,4 is not available in the drop down, but:

until

Regards, Christian

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:45 am
And: my master VU meter is missing (should be left of limiter).

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:48 am
Hi there,

I made some further tests with the fake commands. Gain and EQ are OK. But volume faders and crossfader still affect the sound in both (VDJ and external mixer). I think only the external mixer should do that because of:

- different competing crossfader curves
- quadratic vs. linear volume fader algorithm

Please also take care of my posts above, which seem to be a bug.

Regards, Christian

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 2:14 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
cgarling wrote :
Hi,

the EQ problem is fixed, but the deck assignment is broken now. ONINIT has mixer_order 3124, but in the Deck drop down field Automatic uses 1,2,3,4. If I type in 3,1,2,4 manually its fine. 3,1,2,4 is not available in the drop down, but:

Should be no prob here guess this was never changed ...you can assing your decks in the audio setup. But agree: would be fine to have a preset for this, cause 3,1,2,4 is common use and default by the original vms skin.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 2:20 am
Yes, and Automatic was not able to detect it, so in my opinion Automatic is not working as expected.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 2:30 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
cgarling wrote :
Yes, and Automatic was not able to detect it, so in my opinion Automatic is not working as expected.

automatic does not mean vdj detects the skin you are using. it detects e.g. your controller and sets it by default which is 1,2,3,4 as you can see when looking at the order of the midilogs.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 2:36 am
I mean the option Automatic in the Deck Assignment drop down field. I think the only thing it has to do is to automaticly assign the decks correctly. If it does not, its not working. Its no problem for me to assign decks manually, but I think there are some other users they can not, because they are DJs and not technicians.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 2:42 am
Hi developers,

just for my own interest, are the problems I mentioned above bugs or wanted? In summary:

- volume faders and corssfader in fake mode
- missing VU meter on the top
- deck assignment for controllers (VMS 4.1 in my case)

Regards, Christian

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 6:10 am
Hi Christian,

Have you managed to get the sandbox feature working with the VMS 4.1? If so could you post how you set it up as it would save me a lot of time. Thanks, Pete

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 7:59 am
Sandbox is a feature which does not work with an external mixer. The VMS 4.1 is an external mixer.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards, Christian

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:03 am
Thanks Christian,

I did manage to enable it using the software in 2 deck mode but couldn't manage assign the headphones properly. I haven't been able to spend much time on it yet will be working with it at the weekend though. Shame, as that would have been an interesting feature. Perhaps the American Audio and other controller/soundcard/mixer people will look into supporting it in future!

Pete

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:39 am
cgarling wrote :
The VMS 4.1 is an external mixer.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm correcting you because you're wrong! :-)

The VMS4/4.1 can be an external mixer or a MIDI controller. That's where their nickname MIDILOG comes from. You can switch each channel to be MIDI or Analogue.

So you could use it with all four channels in USB mode to control VDJ and use Sandbox.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:55 am
80%