Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: CPU usage high on Mac? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi,

Just downloaded VDJ 8 and I must say so far I love it.

Though I am experiencing quite high CPU usage on my high end Macbook Pro. Runs VDJ 7 easily. As for VDJ 8, it's running it fine but I can hear the fan spinning excessively and the VDJ is using on average 150% of the CPU usage when I open up my activity monitor.

Not sure if this is just my system or a known issue?

Also is there anyway to import my history from VDJ 7 into VDJ 8?

Thanks!

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:18 am
What's your mac configuration? CPU and memory type.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:45 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
2 or 3 people of the german forum reported the same thing.
And also mentioned that their MBP get really hot really fast.

If I remember correct Mr.T opened a ticket for that earlier.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:52 am
hello,
i have the same problem.
my configuration: 2,6ghz i7, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, osx 10.9.2, graphics card: nvidia geforce gt 750m 2048 mb
greetings from germany
alex

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 4:35 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
Are you sure you see a HIGH CPU?

What i have noticed it is more GPU related and make the Mac hotter then wanted.
Can you guys confirm this or do you really have HIGH CPU.

Can you please attach a screenshot from AT Monitor?

Also please add what kind of Mac you guys use and what kind of videocard is included?

MBP Late 2010 with Intel ..... & NVIDIA ......

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 6:21 am
Will post details screenshots when I get home. But yes definitely high CPU usage as stated in the activity log it's around 150%, and this is just opening it and not playing a song..

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:42 am
I have the same MBP and I have 0% cpu usage.

Literally running perfectly clean.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:52 am
It's actually odd, I'm trying to replicate what happened before now and it won't do it. Now it's sitting on an average 25% which isn't bad, the fan is spinning as per usual. VDJ 7.4 I believe was using around 17% CPU.

Specs of my mac:

Macbook Pro 15" with retina display (2013 model)
2.7GHZ intel I7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB (dual graphics card, other being the one that's built in the cpu)

As I said, it's not happening now. I have a gig on Thursday night and I will try VDJ 8. I'm a little worried but you gotta take risks right? :)

Will post back with the results.

Also any info on whether or not VDJ 7 gig history can be imported into VDJ 8?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 9:17 am
Do you guys spin audio or video?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 10:04 am
Both.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 10:12 am
Hello friends ... I bought a mac 15 "i7 1GB NVIDIA 256SSD GTM650 ... I'm using vdj 7.4.1 pro mac and have trouble recognizing second video card, try performing the upgrade to vdj 8 resulted from the video card, but I want to read information from an external HDD when opening VDJ 8 Seeking the external drive and any files or formatting appears to me, however I found it in VDJ 7.4.1 without problems but as I do not discuss can work with the nvidia graphics high performance.

please help

Hola amigos...he comprado un mac 15" 256SSD i7 1GB NVIDIA GTM650...Estoy usando vdj 7.4.1 pro mac y tengo problemas para reconocer la segunda tarjeta de video,intente realizando el upgrade a vdj 8 ,resulto lo de la tarjeta de video, pero quiero leer información de un HDD externo al momento de abrir VDJ 8 busco el disco externo y no me aparece ningún tipo de archivo ni formato, en cambio en VDJ 7.4.1 lo encontraba sin problemas pero como les comente no me permite trabajar con la grafica de alto rendimiento nvidia.

por favor ayuda

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 10:14 am
Haui70 wrote :
Do you guys spin audio or video?

Strictly audio. However when I had this issue I wasn't spinning anything, I was just going through the options and stuff like that, no music playing at all.

Though now I can't seem to replicate it.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:06 pm
This seems also related with the hardware acceleration and we hope to get this solved with 8.1

From my point of view it would be good to know what kind of Mac you use use.
Would be great when you can share with our the Apple Menu –> About This Mac. - More Info details.

Thx :-)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:20 am
No problem at all, please find picture attached.

Should you need any other information feel free to let me know. But I'm glad that it's not just me and will be fixed. Looks like I'll be putting off using VDJ 8 till it's fixed.

Thanks.

Note: This is the dual graphics card model, other graphic card is:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: xxxxxx
Revision ID: xxxxxx
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:30 am

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:34 am
I have same problem.. and my MacBook gets extremely hot and then it freezes

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:58 am
It's more of a GPU problem rather than CPU. Whenever you launch vdj the discrete gpu (Nvidia/Amd) automatically kicks in. One thing that'll help is to use gfxcardstatus and it to use integrated only (intel) and use smcfancontrol and set the fans high.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:15 am
mixinmuzik wrote :
It's more of a GPU problem rather than CPU. Whenever you launch vdj the discrete gpu (Nvidia/Amd) automatically kicks in. One thing that'll help is to use gfxcardstatus and it to use integrated only (intel) and use smcfancontrol and set the fans high.

While I can understand that, when I reported this problem it was definitely the CPU and not the GPU. Thought it was extremely odd which is why I reported it. Though it has been recognised as a known error and will be fixed, so we're all on the same page :)

Thanks everyone.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 5:34 pm
I too have experienced the same thing with my mac, the fan sped up and I reached 93 degrees. Even though CPU bar in VDJ was on nothing, once I closed VDJ the temp and fan went down.

PS, I wasn't playing anything either just had it loaded in the background.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:26 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I too have experienced the same thing with my mac, the fan sped up and I reached 93 degrees. Even though CPU bar in VDJ was on nothing, once I closed VDJ the temp and fan went down.

PS, I wasn't playing anything either just had it loaded in the background.

Well that's exactly the same as what happened to me, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. Specs are quite similar also.

By the way, are you 'The Charlie Wilson'?

Charlie, last name Wilson ;) sorry could resist! :)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:17 pm
37%