Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: What have they done!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I have only been playing with VDJ8 for half an hour but I already have some comments:

The good:

1. The sound is a massive improvement - finally.
2. Slip mode is good.

The Bad:

1. Where has the playlist gone? We now have a sidelist but no playlist!
2. Where has the total time left gone? This was one of the most useful features.
3. Why do we still have the ridiculous spinning disk? It takes up too much screen area which could be used for useful stuff. I can tell when a song is playing because I can hear it and see the waveforms moving. I know you worked so hard to make it 'round' at all resolutions but the spinning disk is redundant.
4. Sidelist clone button. What is this for?
5. Why can I still not rearrange the order of songs in a virtual folder by dragging them?
6. In VDJ7 I could see time left, elapsed and total for the song playing. Why do I have to choose now?
7. The extended view buttons should change when the extended view is used. It is hard to see which window is extended.
8. The add virtual folder, filter folder and favourite folder buttons are now all grey. Harder to distinguish!
9. Where is full page browser mode?
10. Not enough change in colour on the VU meters when approaching peak levels. They changed to white in VDJ7. The Blue one is almost impossible to see.
11. How do I get rid of the cover pictures everywhere. I don't like them. I don't use them and I could switch them of in VDJ7.
12. Where is the timeline feature? This was the only reason for waiting for 2 and a half years for this software. Mixmeister works really well but their browser is pitiful and you can't switch to traditional mode.
13. Why is there a tablet mode button? You're either using a tablet or you're not in which case this option could be in the options menu. Why would you switch modes during a set?
14. Where is the master volume knob?
15. Where is the headphones volume knob?
16. Where is the headphones mix knob?
17. When saving a new sound config, the 'config 1' remains available instead of being renamed.
18. For people with poor eyesight, this is quite difficult to see what's going on because the over use of grey colour especially as there are now extendible windows.
19. I've just seen the 'Total Time' on the automix playlist - It's miniscule!!!! Please make this bigger so I can actually read it.
20. I'm now assuming that the automix list is the Playlist in which case why rename it?
21. I like to see my playlist at the same time as the side list as I swap songs between them as I change my mind on what to play. How do I do this now?

Really guys! It took you 2 1/2 years to produce this!
Can you just make the sound improvement changes to VDJ7 as this is no use to me. Seriously, you've gone backwards.
D- Must try harder :-(

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:01 am
Spend some more time with it (and read the manual) and you'll find answers to many of your questions.

Also, take some time to read messages here. Many things have already been mentioned.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:04 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I suggest to play around with v8 for more than a half an hour ;)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:05 am
Sounds like he loves it.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:19 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Scrinson wrote :

1. Where has the playlist gone? We now have a sidelist but no playlist! If you would have switched through the buttons at the bottom you would have found the playlist
2. Where has the total time left gone? This was one of the most useful features. Total time is also displayed by clicking in the time field next to the deck letter
3. Why do we still have the ridiculous spinning disk? It takes up too much screen area which could be used for useful stuff. I can tell when a song is playing because I can hear it and see the waveforms moving. I know you worked so hard to make it 'round' at all resolutions but the spinning disk is redundant. There will be other skins avaliabel soon
4. Sidelist clone button. What is this for? To clone a folder which is marked in the VDJ Browser
5. Why can I still not rearrange the order of songs in a virtual folder by dragging them?
6. In VDJ7 I could see time left, elapsed and total for the song playing. Why do I have to choose now?
7. The extended view buttons should change when the extended view is used. It is hard to see which window is extended.
8. The add virtual folder, filter folder and favourite folder buttons are now all grey. Harder to distinguish!
9. Where is full page browser mode? See my Skin post above
10. Not enough change in colour on the VU meters when approaching peak levels. They changed to white in VDJ7. The Blue one is almost impossible to see.
11. How do I get rid of the cover pictures everywhere. I don't like them. I don't use them and I could switch them of in VDJ7. Disable Cover Flow in the options
12. Where is the timeline feature? This was the only reason for waiting for 2 and a half years for this software. Mixmeister works really well but their browser is pitiful and you can't switch to traditional mode. Many features of timline are avaliable in the automix editor
13. Why is there a tablet mode button? To change the skin surface to tablet mode. This was a feature request. Sorry that you don`t need it...
14. Where is the master volume knob? Logically in the master section of the skin/ you can switch between Mixer/ Scratch/ Video and.....right....Master!
15. Where is the headphones volume knob? see above
16. Where is the headphones mix knob? see above
17. When saving a new sound config, the 'config 1' remains available instead of being renamed. Remember is is still a beta
18. For people with poor eyesight, this is quite difficult to see what's going on because the over use of grey colour especially as there are now extendible windows.
19. I've just seen the 'Total Time' on the automix playlist - It's miniscule!!!! Please make this bigger so I can actually read it.
20. I'm now assuming that the automix list is the Playlist in which case why rename it?
21. I like to see my playlist at the same time as the side list as I swap songs between them as I change my mind on what to play. How do I do this now?

seems you should have invest more time in Testing the software or read the manual instead of doing this long post
Must try harder ...;-)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:20 am
Scrinson wrote :
I have only been playing with VDJ8 for half an hour but I already have some comments:

Seriously? ;)
You should try it for a little longer .. before passing a judgment ;) lol

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:27 am
Shouldn't have to read a manual. The software should be intuitive and obvious especially for someone who has been a DJ for over 20 years. Things that have to be read in a manual are likely to be forgotten just when you need them.

All software should be written using the 3 principles of HCI (human computer interaction)

1.Visibility: It Should Be Obvious What a Control Is Used For.
If I press this button, what will happen? If I want to unlock the door, which control should I use? A system with good visibility allows the user to easily translate goals into actions.
2.Affordance: It Should Be Obvious How a Control Is Used.
The system should provide “strong clues to the operation of things”. A button affords pushing, a lever affords pulling, etc. The user should know how to operate a control just by looking at it.
3.Feedback: It Should Be Obvious When a Control Has Been Used.
Once the user has pressed a button, the system should react in a manner that clearly communicates what has just been accomplished. If nothing has happened, this fact should also be obvious.

I have a BSc in computing and IT but thanks for telling me to read the manual.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:33 am
Scrinson wrote :
I have a BSc in computing and IT
....and you achieved that without having to read anything?

:-)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:38 am
Scrinson wrote :

1. Where has the playlist gone? We now have a sidelist but no playlist!

It's on the sideview area now. It's named "Automix" since it does both things
Scrinson wrote :

2. Where has the total time left gone? This was one of the most useful features.

Click on Elapsed time to toggle between all available time display modes
Scrinson wrote :

3. Why do we still have the ridiculous spinning disk? It takes up too much screen area which could be used for useful stuff. I can tell when a song is playing because I can hear it and see the waveforms moving. I know you worked so hard to make it 'round' at all resolutions but the spinning disk is redundant.

Maybe. However they are the trademark of the software. Also scratch / tc users want/use them.
Scrinson wrote :

4. Sidelist clone button. What is this for?

It clones whatever you see on the main window browser to a list on the sideview
Scrinson wrote :

Because it's a virtual folder, not a playlist
Scrinson wrote :

Default skin is a matter of personal taste
Scrinson wrote :

They DO change. Also the fact that each extended view uses the 2/3 of the area should be enough to tell ?
Scrinson wrote :

Ok.
Scrinson wrote :

9. Where is full page browser mode?

Full page browser mode is not supported anymore. But soon enough you'll be able to even have the browser on a floating window if you like, covering all your screen, move it on another screen e.t.c. It's skin dependable
Scrinson wrote :

Still this is skin specific
Scrinson wrote :

11. How do I get rid of the cover pictures everywhere. I don't like them. I don't use them and I could switch them of in VDJ7.

Go on options, search for "covers" and disable them. However you can't remove the covers next to the waveforms
Scrinson wrote :

12. Where is the timeline feature? This was the only reason for waiting for 2 and a half years for this software. Mixmeister works really well but their browser is pitiful and you can't switch to traditional mode.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/187060/VirtualDJ_8_Pre-Release_Forum/what_happened_to_the__timeline___.html
Scrinson wrote :

13. Why is there a tablet mode button? You're either using a tablet or you're not in which case this option could be in the options menu. Why would you switch modes during a set?

Because some newer laptops can turn to tablets and back to laptop on the fly
Scrinson wrote :

14. Where is the master volume knob?

On the master panel
Scrinson wrote :

15. Where is the headphones volume knob?

On the master panel
Scrinson wrote :

16. Where is the headphones mix knob?

On the master panel
Scrinson wrote :

17. When saving a new sound config, the 'config 1' remains available instead of being renamed.

You don't rename configs. You save them with different names. The ones you don't want/need you can delete
Scrinson wrote :

Try adjusting your screen contrast. Again, this is something skin dependable
Scrinson wrote :

It's pretty big here... Unless you have the automix covering the 1/10th of your screen ?
Scrinson wrote :

Because it's doing both...
Scrinson wrote :

Go in options and enable horizontal sidelist view
Scrinson wrote :

Really guys! It took you 2 1/2 years to produce this!
Can you just make the sound improvement changes to VDJ7 as this is no use to me. Seriously, you've gone backwards.
D- Must try harder :-(

Will do... Next update will come in 5 years then... :P

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:45 am
RobRoy wrote :
Scrinson wrote :

1. Where has the playlist gone? We now have a sidelist but no playlist! If you would have switched through the buttons at the bottom you would have found the playlist Yes but why did they rename it and why can't I see the Playlist and the Side List together. How do I transfer songs between them?
2. Where has the total time left gone? This was one of the most useful features. Total time is also displayed by clicking in the time field next to the deck letter. I meant in the Playlist. As mentioned below, I had found it but it is almost way too small to see clearly.
3. Why do we still have the ridiculous spinning disk? It takes up too much screen area which could be used for useful stuff. I can tell when a song is playing because I can hear it and see the waveforms moving. I know you worked so hard to make it 'round' at all resolutions but the spinning disk is redundant. There will be other skins avaliabel soon[Doesn't answer the question
4. Sidelist clone button. What is this for? To clone a folder which is marked in the VDJ Browser The point of the question was why do I need this
5. Why can I still not rearrange the order of songs in a virtual folder by dragging them? You didn't answer this question
6. In VDJ7 I could see time left, elapsed and total for the song playing. Why do I have to choose now? Or this one!
7. The extended view buttons should change when the extended view is used. It is hard to see which window is extended. Or this one!
9. Where is full page browser mode? See my Skin post above. But we already had this in V7. Why remove it?
10. Not enough change in colour on the VU meters when approaching peak levels. They changed to white in VDJ7. The Blue one is almost impossible to see. No comment on this?
11. How do I get rid of the cover pictures everywhere. I don't like them. I don't use them and I could switch them of in VDJ7. Disable Cover Flow in the options. It is disabled but they still appear
12. Where is the timeline feature? This was the only reason for waiting for 2 and a half years for this software. Mixmeister works really well but their browser is pitiful and you can't switch to traditional mode. Many features of timline are avaliable in the automix editor You mean you couldn't get it working even after 2 1/2 years
13. Why is there a tablet mode button? To change the skin surface to tablet mode. This was a feature request. Sorry that you don`t need it... Yeah but you wouldn't want to change it during a set would you?
14. Where is the master volume knob? Logically in the master section of the skin/ you can switch between Mixer/ Scratch/ Video and.....right....Master!Oh I see. Something that you may need in a hurry you've hidden behind a different tab
15. Where is the headphones volume knob? see above
16. Where is the headphones mix knob? see above
17. When saving a new sound config, the 'config 1' remains available instead of being renamed. Remember is is still a beta. Excuses!

seems you should have invest more time in Testing the software or read the manual instead of doing this long post
Must try harder ...;-)

Thanks for almost answering some of my questions.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:52 am
I think you need some more time to read the users manual scrinson and it seems to me you need another couple of years in BS computing….lol

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:59 am
groovindj wrote :
Scrinson wrote :
I have a BSc in computing and IT
....and you achieved that without having to read anything?

:-)

No but all the software I used worked as it should.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:03 am
....and VDJ 8 works "as it should" too.

Yes it may involve a small amount of thought and learning to acclimatise yourself with the changes in 8, but the same applies to different versions of Windows, Office and so on.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:07 am
Think you fall in to the negative category of people who DON'T like change.... but for anything to progress change is inevitable.... deal with it, spend some time and get used to the changes.... or go back to VDJ7!!!!

some people so damn right rude nowadays!!!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:31 am
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
MBProductionz wrote :
some people so damn right rude nowadays!!!

And what does that comment say about you

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:52 am
What have they done? ....... A Bloody good Job ... imho
Ive got no degees but learn by reading the manual and asking help from those who no the software better than me.
It amazes me every time a new version comes out how many questions could be answered by reading the manual first, playing with the software, and reading the forum.
Sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ... sadly for me that horse has bolted ...LOL

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:54 am
I'll be honest with you, I really like VDJ7. The only problem is the sound quality and the odd glitch and hiccup here and there but I always have an alternative plugged into the mixer so it hasn't caught me out (yet). When Atomix announced VDJ8, I was as excited as everyone else especially about the timeline feature. I played with mixmeister for a while but it has a crap browser system and you can't go back to traditional DJing so it didn't make the grade. The problem is, we've waited for so long to get VDJ8 and for my mind they have gone backwards.

Yes they've improved the sound quality but they have removed some of the useful features like the full screen browser, having the Playlist and the Sidelist open together so you can drag songs between them and displaying the song total time, elapsed time and remaining time together. Apart from a bit of skinning, I don't see the major improvements. I was SO looking forward to using the timeline feature and am now really disappointed. They say they decided to drop it but I believe that they just couldn't get it working. There was a lot of people looking forward to it.

I will have to continue using VDJ7 but I know that they will never improve the sound issues so there's my problem. All of the changes could have been simple upgrades to VDJ7 which would not have taken anywhere near as long and we would now have VDJ7 with decent sound.

So please Atomix, put back all of the useful info on the screen and make it so you can use the Playlist and Sidelist together as before or fix VDJ7's sound issues.

Thanks

PS.... I've just read the manual cover to cover (metaphorically speaking) and it doesn't answer any of my questions. Some of my questions were answered incorrectly by people who didn't read the question properly.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 8:58 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Scrinson wrote :
fix VDJ7's sound issues

The v7 product won't be receiving any more development.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:04 am
djjeckyPRO InfinityMember since 2011
This guy spent 30 mins and he is already complaining. I spent 7 hrs trying to see if i can get everything i had on the 7. Have to admit its almost totally different probably even more difficult to use than the 7 which was easy to use. But i like it. And thats the fun of getting new stuff. Going through everything and trying it out. Have a question though. What about the backspin effect? This was one of my favourite things if not the favourite. It said that it wasn't compatible with the 8 and i had to remove it from the folder to avoid getting the notification every time. There is a setting in the options which says that with a setting you can backspin with the jog wheels and when it stops moving the effect still goes as normal (at least thats what i understood). But it doesn't. and it doesn't sound the same. Can anyone help with that?

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:05 am
djjeckyPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Oh and i love my spinning disc. Please don't ever change that VDJ. Love the new logo also. It should be on the spinning discs. On everything as a matter of fact

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 9:09 am
38%