Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: First impressions - Page: 23

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Cheers i will try that..

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:27 am
Hi Atomix
I am going to share with you my thoughts about Virtual DJ 8. Overall i am impressed with what you have achieved but a few things concern me, for which Virtual DJ 7 does not.

1. Loading tracks are taking a lot longer to process. This might be down to them not being scanned, although all information was taken from the virtual DJ 7 database.
2. I find while Virtual DJ 8 is scanning files the Computer is struggling when trying to play tracks from either decks, sometimes the track will skip, does this scanning process use a lot of resources?
3. When Virtual DJ 8 has booted does it scan for new files or will this only happen if you ask it ie selecting a folder?
4. I know that you are still tweeking it here and there so i expect a few problems, but as it stands Virtual DJ 7 is flawless on my computer and i will keep using it until Virtual DJ 8 has settled down. But overall I do like it and it will get easier to use with more practice.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:45 am
OK i just tried removing vdj from my dell d630 and installing vdj8 it says completed however still is not working when i double click icon, if i go into task manager it doesnt even show up..

what service pack on win7 will it run on

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 8:57 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
It's always recommended to use the latest service pack available.
But it should run on Win 7 anyway.

Please uninstall and install v8 again.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:17 am
DJMikeJames wrote :
Hi Atomix
I am going to share with you my thoughts about Virtual DJ 8. Overall i am impressed with what you have achieved but a few things concern me, for which Virtual DJ 7 does not.

1. Loading tracks are taking a lot longer to process. This might be down to them not being scanned, although all information was taken from the virtual DJ 7 database.
2. I find while Virtual DJ 8 is scanning files the Computer is struggling when trying to play tracks from either decks, sometimes the track will skip, does this scanning process use a lot of resources?
3. When Virtual DJ 8 has booted does it scan for new files or will this only happen if you ask it ie selecting a folder?
4. I know that you are still tweeking it here and there so i expect a few problems, but as it stands Virtual DJ 7 is flawless on my computer and i will keep using it until Virtual DJ 8 has settled down. But overall I do like it and it will get easier to use with more practice.

1. It's possible that it takes a little bit more time if v8 loads the track for the first time. After it was analysed it should load faster the next time you load the track.
2. I don't have these problems. And the scanning process uses very little resources only. Are you running any other tasks in the background that might slow down you system?
4. Keep in mind that this is not the final version of VDJ8. It's a pre-release version and should be considered as "beta". It's still recommended to use V7 until the official release of V8.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:20 am
cnymikePRO InfinityMember since 2011

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:50 am
probably just a little bug with the size of the element on a smaller screen.. what size is your screen?

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:58 am
my first impressions ..... default skin looks " 7 ish " ..... where's the browser , fx , sampler , record ?? and the clipbank ??? then the mass confusion ..... yes 7 & 8 can coexist ....... the comfort zone is gone with the wind ........ i shoulda expected that with a total rewrite , combined with 2 years to get used to v7 ....... the sampler is excellent actually .....love the video editor ....... where is my semi parametric eq ??? sound is very good , video quality seems improved ...... i think i have an amazing new toy , that i am going to NOT use live for awhile , until i get far more used to it ..... where's the advanced config ? ....tried to find workarounds and make the sandbox work with ext mixer ....but no luck ....... don't care about the timeline didn't make the cut ........

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:27 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
probably just a little bug with the size of the element on a smaller screen.. what size is your screen?

This has been reported a couple of times.
But it only affects the mac version AFAIK.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:33 am
i have a possible small sampler glitch .... will check some more and report if so ..... confused about how visualizations work ........ want to be able to aux input my electronic drums

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:39 am
PachN wrote :
DJMikeJames wrote :
Hi Atomix

1. It's possible that it takes a little bit more time if v8 loads the track for the first time. After it was analysed it should load faster the next time you load the track.
2. I don't have these problems. And the scanning process uses very little resources only. Are you running any other tasks in the background that might slow down you system?
4. Keep in mind that this is not the final version of VDJ8. It's a pre-release version and should be considered as "beta". It's still recommended to use V7 until the official release of V8.

Thanks for the reply. I have not put Virtual DJ 8 on my gig machine and so the testing has been done while the system is online, and yes there are other tasks running like the internet and such, so could probably put it down to that. And I do know that this is still Beta and I am not blaming anyone, for the problems I have. Its just what is happening to me, I know Atomix will look into the problems that we are facing so I am not too worried at this stage, and I do have some Important gigs coming up so It will be Virtual DJ 7 for those.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:46 am
kidmixxPRO SubscriberMember since 2008
Ran it for 2 nights now, 7 hour shifts... Sounds great, didn't have a single problem, much improved search function (very quick). With some playing and experimenting the POI Editor is great! So far so good! The one thing I did notice that annoyed me a bit is the way it goes from folder to folder in browser... For example, if I go from R&B (A to Z) to Rock it opens the folder somewhere in the middle of the order instead of at the top of the order... In other words, instead of A to Z it opens at (let's say) "L". I have to click to set the order to A to Z and then scroll to the top of the tracks. With a large library this became an annoyance but definitely not a deal breaker.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:47 am
I Found a Failure:

I am a Mac User. And when i change the directory in the Side View very fast (from instruments to Video & scratch or to audio fx) then the music stalls for a moment! Not Long, but you can hear it!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:00 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
kidmixx wrote :
...For example, if I go from R&B (A to Z) to Rock it opens the folder somewhere in the middle of the order instead of at the top of the order... In other words, instead of A to Z it opens at (let's say) "L". I have to click to set the order to A to Z and then scroll to the top of the tracks. With a large library this became an annoyance but definitely not a deal breaker.

This is actually a feature, not a bug :)
The browser remembers the position for each folder, so that when you return to a folder you can start looking where you left.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:01 am
An option for people who don't want that behaviour?

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:30 am
Blimey - you want options for everything. :-)

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:38 am
Choices are cool!

Only having one way to do something can be frustrating if it's not the way you want to do it.

The fewer options there are, the harder it is to please everyone. More options = more happy customers! -)

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:42 am
I agree, BUT we can not please everyone. It's impossible.

As i've said before. You CAN'T please ALL of the people ALL of the time. BUT if you CAN please MOST of the people MOST of the time, then you are on a winner.

Adding lots and lots of options is great for likes of you or myself and many Pro Users as we know what they all do - but it's very daunting when your new to the software. There has to be that balance. The first time in opened Advanced Config - i was like WOW. At that stage there was no info on what each one did either.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 11:55 am
This may have been addressed earlier, but I couldn't find it. Has anyone had any issues with VDJ8 and Numark mixdeck quad? I hooked it up for the first time on Tuesday, and was having issues getting the 2 to play nice together. I finally got it working, but then nothing was coming out of the headphones. I had learned this weird trick in the past that if I play with the toggle switch and switch back and forth from midi to aux and back to midi on the channel it would start making the headphones work properly. (weird, I know), I tried that while in vdj8 and all of a sudden the sound quality just dropped tremendously. I couldn't get it to go back to normal. I closed 8 and went back into 7 and couldn't get anything working right in 7 all of a sudden. Very confused by all of this! As I am sure I have just confused anyone who has read this!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 12:19 pm
djskippy1981 wrote :
if I play with the toggle switch and switch back and forth from midi to aux and back to midi on the channel it would start making the headphones work properly.

That doesn't sound like a very wise thing to do IMO. As you seem to have discovered!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 12:33 pm
61%