Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual DJ on Microsoft Surface Tablet? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello people! :)
I am looking forward to get rid of my old laptop and to buy a tablet that could run virtual dj. After a very long disscussions and wondering between an iPad which can not connect to my external hard drive where all the music is and all the android tablets which also miss a simple usb plug and have some not really good DJ apps I finally chose Microsoft Surface windows RT tablet which has the potential to do the job...
First when you think you will say.. I will download the free virtual dj version (because I am not really a pro DJ) for windows I will just install it and ta daa. Sounds simple, that's why I am scared a bit.

So is it true that virtual DJ will run with no problem on Microsoft Surface Tablet or we will be waiting for some special version?

Thanks a lot guys the answer will mean a lot for me!

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 3:21 am
It will run perfectly well on the Surface Pro but NOT on the RT version.

Surface RT runs a watered down version of Windows that does not support full X86 and X64 applications.

I do not believe VirtualDJ will be coded to run on RT.

Keith

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 3:45 am
Thank you so much Keith! Now I have the things clear!

Posted Thu 21 Mar 13 @ 4:03 am
I wanted to try VDJ on the surface pro... so I downloaded it (the free version). It installed but it was WAY too big. I cannot move it or shrink it or do much of anything with it... any ideas?

Posted Mon 15 Jul 13 @ 6:05 pm
I have the same issue

Posted Mon 22 Jul 13 @ 11:02 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
What is the resolution of your screen ?

You can try to rightclick on the VirtualDJ icon on your Desktop, choose Properties-->Shortcut tab..and choose to run in maximized mode. You will probably get a warning message about the resolution, but clicking Ok, it should allow the launch.

Posted Tue 23 Jul 13 @ 2:17 am
The LCD is 1920x1080 so there should be no issues with resolution, unless it's something specific to the Surface?

Keith

Posted Tue 23 Jul 13 @ 2:47 am
has anyone else managed to get this one figured out?

I too have just got a Surface Pro

Posted Sun 01 Sep 13 @ 6:39 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Whats the current DPI setting in windows?

Screen resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller

Posted Sun 01 Sep 13 @ 9:35 am
I ran the compatibility troubleshooter on my surface pro and it fixed the issue.

Posted Wed 11 Sep 13 @ 9:41 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Are you guys still using the SP with VDJ? If so how do you like it? I am looking for any kind of feedback as I am considering going this route myself.

A few questions if you don't mind...

1) how do you like it?
2) is it reliable during long 5+ hr sets?
3) are you mixing video?
4) are you using a controller?
5) any issues?

I would be using this setup with the following configuration...a powered hub, powered external hard drive, pioneer wego, or Denon HC4500 mixing both audio and video.

Here's the thread I made but so far no one has replied...

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/181476/General_Discussion/Anyone_using_Surface_Pro___VDJ_regularly_.html

Posted Sat 21 Sep 13 @ 3:40 pm
I have been using Virtual DJ on a Surface Pro and now a Surface Pro 2.

You will need to drop the DPI setting from 150% to 125% to get the screen to work nicely in 1920x1080 (Full HD).

My next challenge has been to get the audio configuration setup.

I have got headphones/2 sound card mode working with USB headphones, so that gives me Stereo Headphones via USB driver and Stereo Output via headphone jack on Surface.

Now I am trying to go the next step.

I have bought a Sound Blaster Easy record USB Sound card. It allows for stereo input via RCA plugs or 3.5mm plug and stereo output via 3.5mm socket. I have a splitter that separates out the combined headphone/mic socket on the Surface to independent headphone and mic.

Using the ASIO4All driver, I am trying to setup Headphones via USB, Output via Headphone and two inputs via USB and mic so that I can use timecoded vinyl with my Technics SL1200s.

I am wondering if the SL1200s are going to work with timecoded vinyl without a pre-amp. My mixer has preamps for the turn tables, but I need to by pass those and connect direct to the PC. I have not bought timecoded vinyl yet as I want to know this will work first.

On my Lenovo laptop I was able to get the setup working (the decks moved when I played sound from my phone and ZuneHD into the inputs).

On the Surface I have not got the inputs working yet.

Has anyone tried this sort of configuration and got it working? Am I being too ambitious?

Thanks

Posted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 12:30 am
Here is an update.

I can do it with the Advanced Configuration and not using the ASIO4ALL drivers.

I was able to define the Master, Headphones, Timecode 1 and Timecode 2.

Looks like it is time to get some timecoded vinyl and try it for real.

Posted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 1:51 am
paxwebbPRO InfinityMember since 2009
The real question is how is the latency of the touch panel? In other words, how much delay is there between using your fingers on the Surface Pro and the audio/video response.

The Surface Pro uses Intel HD integrated graphics so I can't see video mixing being too good. You can tweak things with the registry tool but I have tried to mix with HD integrated graphics before and it isn't too pretty...

Posted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 2:05 am
When using the screen to move the virtual turntable, or using scratch mode, there is no latency that I can notice.

Remember that the Surface Pro uses a core i5 processor and the integrated graphics does not have to work that hard.

I was using videos when testing and the touch was very "direct".

Posted Sun 03 Nov 13 @ 2:18 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Awesome feedback! Thank you very much. Keep us updated. My gigs are long and my back would really appreciate the lighter load.

Posted Tue 05 Nov 13 @ 4:14 pm

Posted Mon 11 Nov 13 @ 10:17 am
Hi all

excuse me jumping in - I'm not in the DJ world but a friend of mine is and has been trying to get this set up to work so here are a couple of pointers that might be of relevance. For background one of my family has a Surface, I have a Surface Pro 2 which I used to replace both a laptop and my work PC.

Surface - this runs Windows RT which stands for Run Time. It should really stand for Restricted, basically you can only be sure Apps you download from the Windows Store will run. in a word - Avoid!!

Surface Pro (& the better Pro2). This is an altogether different beast. It has different hardware and runs full Windows 8.1 (remember back to when you only ever upgraded Windows after the 1st service pack came out? Same thing...) It has integrated graphics but has an i5 processor so as noted above video is v good (I do some quite reasonable Photoshop with it, not up to my Mac Pro but not bad). As noted above you need to play around with the display options to get the mode you want but it should work.

External connections. There is only one USB port so use a USB dock. But here's the trick - you need a powered one - the port on the tablet doesn't seem to have enough kick in it to drive the peripherals itself. With a powered one you can hook up an external keyboard, wireless mouse and anything else you want. It also has a mini display port so you can output display to anything you want (including a large screen HDMI plasma) and you can use either or both screens.

OK I'll go away again, but just in case that's of use, to sumarise: Surface - an iPad wannabe which doesn't do anything well, Surface Pro - a very capable laptop replacement

Cheers

Finnie

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 3:13 am
maxbeeHome userMember since 2016
How can run virtual DJ on my rt arm surface laptop

Posted Sun 17 Sep 17 @ 7:35 am
user12708739 wrote :
How can run virtual DJ on my rt arm surface laptop

Read the second post in the thread

Posted Sun 17 Sep 17 @ 7:38 am
87%