Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Audio dropout with usb mixer - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I use the proFX 8 mackie USB Mixer, as my wife also does. I have a 8 gB laptop and she has a 16gB portable PC Shuttle with Windows 7. We both use Vdj 7.02 as well. We both experience audio dropouts (sound quits); I mean the sound completely stops, and we have to turn off the mixer and back on again to get the sound going. Sometimes we experience this twice a night, sometimes we'll go months w/o it happening. Don't believe it's file related as we both play different stuff all week long.

The only thing the laptop has plugged in is a USB laptop cooler, the Shuttle has a keyboard and mouse plugged in other usb ports. Both use internal HD's.

Can anyone tell me how this can be related to the USB mixer as this only started after we both hooked up the the mackie proFX 8? Any ideas on what to look for or what else might be adding to this. I mean, one of these days I'll be at a wedding during the Bride/Groom song and oh-oh !!

I tried putting a ferrite core on the usb wire to the laptop, to no avail. Thought that might help. What can I do to perhaps even reduce the occurence? Hopefully stop it for good!!

Someone mentioned it has something to do with latency and that checking the priority for background services could help??

Any other ideas, or should I just go out from my inboard realteck and into to a channel?? Or will that even help at all??

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 1:02 am
You may think that (because it only started when you hooked up the Mackie) the mixer is to blame, but it's just a very simple stereo class compliant (no drivers) USB audio connection, so there's really nothing there to blame, or to adjust.

I think you may need to look at the computer(s) and make sure they are optimised for audio use.

There's lots of info on the web covering that topic, but have a read of this first

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 5:10 am
groovindj wrote :
You may think that (because it only started when you hooked up the Mackie) the mixer is to blame, but it's just a very simple stereo class compliant (no drivers) USB audio connection, so there's really nothing there to blame, or to adjust.

I think you may need to look at the computer(s) and make sure they are optimised for audio use.

There's lots of info on the web covering that topic, but have a read of this first

Groovin,
Can you at least tell me that these dropouts may disappear if I use my onboard video card (realtech) and come out the side of my laptop and into a channel in the mixer, instead of using the usb??
Thanx,
Bryant

Posted Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 4:48 pm
Done everything for audio use setups. Prolly just have to use the onboard card for weddings and karaoke contests.
What do you think, Groovin?
Had a dropout tonight at a gig, started at the very beginning of the song. Sound just dropped out if sight.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 1:29 am
That mixer is pretty old, it uses usb 1 (old and slow) New laptops use usb 3 that could be whats causing your problem. More than likely its time to upgrade your mixer. You can use your audio out from the computer, but you will have to run it in mono in order to cue one deck while the other is playing.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 9:19 am
Have you tried running DPC latency checker (mentioned in the link I gave) for any issues with your computer(s)?

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 10:07 am
Just downloaded latencyMon, ill check oon.

The mixer was purchased about three years ago..it is usb-2 .

My question is still ; if you feel these re the typical case usb dropouts, will I be in the clear and good to go, and not have to worry about the dropouts any more if I use the on board card? I know how to set that up easily enough.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 12:58 pm
I can't answer that question.

In my opinion, if you're having trouble with just a simple stereo audio feed into a mixer, then something is likely to be amiss with your computer setup as even a very old computer should be able to handle one stereo audio signal.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 1:05 pm

Posted Wed 14 Nov 12 @ 1:15 pm
i Just think you may need a new cable its worth a shot. have simaler problem with hardrive cable song just don't come up in search because cable disconnects. lose connections at PC. Just My thouths on this.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 4:16 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
[quote=bryantpb]Just downloaded latencyMon, ill check oon.

The mixer was purchased about three years ago..it is usb-2 .

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/action/newpost.html?topicid=171305"eid=1469185

Specs say usb 1

Is it possible your usb port on the pc is going into sleep mode?

Usb 1 holy crap!!

Also, can't use the link above for some reason??

How can I set a preference, in the event that I haven't already, to keep the pc from going into sleep mode.

LatencyMon running with nothing attached said something like " may experience dropouts, check power mgt settings, but I did check all the right settings in there. And there was a driver mentioned that didn't seem to mean anything to me, too.

The karaoke program( hoster ver 5.07 running and vdj at same time, indicated crashes involving hard page fault, I wonder what that is telling me, every time a karaoke song came up in hoster, it errored and moved on to next one, errored again, and recorded a page fault?? Any clues here folks??

Is there anything in Bios that can be shut off that may help?

Also, gonna try new tougher usb cord with ferrite on both ends.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 9:29 am

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 4:26 pm
groovindj wrote :
Have you tried running DPC latency checker (mentioned in the link I gave) for any issues with your computer(s)?

Ran latencyMon and DPC checker all day. Got a lot of info. Would you mind taking a look at the data and screenshot if I email them to you and offer an opinion?

Posted Thu 29 Nov 12 @ 1:45 am
Just post it here and we can all have a look (others may be more able to help than me).

Also the info will be here as a reference for others who may have similar problems.

Posted Thu 29 Nov 12 @ 11:35 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I wouldnt trust any USB hub, when it comes to the sound card. Sound card should be plugged directly to a USB port of the laptop.
You can use a hub to plug any HDs, coolers etc, but sound card and midi devices should be plugged directly.
There are times that a self-powered hub helps cases of a midi device demanding too much energy (mainly for leds), but thats not your case i suppose.

In the performance link groovindj gave you above, there is also a setting that you certainly need to pay attention. You need to disable the option from your computer to disable USB hubs to save power. Its in Device Manager in Properties->Power tab for each USB host of your computer.

Posted Thu 29 Nov 12 @ 11:41 am
djdad wrote :
I wouldnt trust any USB hub, when it comes to the sound card. Sound card should be plugged directly to a USB port of the laptop.

In the performance link groovindj gave you above, there is also a setting that you certainly need to pay attention. You need to disable the option from your computer to disable USB hubs to save power. Its in Device Manager in Properties->Power tab for each USB host of your computer.

Thanx DJDad, I have always had mu usb hubs disabled on that end. Thx for the advice on the hubs.

Also, I'll try to send the report, but it's like 4 or 5 pages and an jpeg file for another page.

Okay, how do I send files and pictures over here, couldn't make it work a while back, explain again please, I'll get it eventually. :)

Posted Thu 29 Nov 12 @ 6:10 pm

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 11:58 am
Latency Report:
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 5:34:33 (h:mm:ss) on all processors in the system.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: XPS15Z
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8086 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2494.0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1595.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED KERNEL TIMER LATENCIES
Highest measured kernel timer latency (µs): 2980.783165

MEASURED SMIs AND CPU STALLS
Highest measured SMI, IPI or CPU stall (µs) 100.987833

REPORTED DPCs
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 2052.848035
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 306.97 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.493722
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1.228208

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 133521330
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1939
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 18
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 3
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED ISRs
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 2100.918605
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.319515
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.551057

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 54410195
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 45
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 1
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 1
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Process with highest pagefault count: none

Total number of hard pagefaults 249
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 213
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 19683.218524
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.000234
Number of processes hit: 0

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1526.884787
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 2100.918605
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 442.462944
CPU 0 ISR count: 54410242
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 2052.848035
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 940.869043
CPU 0 DPC count: 127425282
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 48.752105
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1296.545710
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 8.171641
CPU 1 DPC count: 1276629
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 108.905585
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 851.958701
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 23.587195
CPU 2 DPC count: 2665732
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 48.241185
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 214.422614
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 13.542882
CPU 3 DPC count: 2155647

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 12:01 pm
Anyone care to examine this new xps 15z 8 gB ram, 1 gB dedicated vieo ram GT525M vieo card. Nothing installed except vdj and karaoke program, basically, it seems to be just the karaoke songs on that program that lose audio during the song, but then again, I kj more than I DJ.

Posted Mon 03 Dec 12 @ 3:40 pm
You need to identify which driver/process is causing this issue (WiFi and/or ACPI battery are the most common causes) - Click on the drivers and processes tab to check.

Make sure that you have the latest drivers, firmware and BIOS updates installed from your computer manufacturer's website.

Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

Posted Tue 04 Dec 12 @ 7:17 am
61%