Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEW] VirtualDJ 7.3 - Page: 12

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

maki2001 wrote :

not even if you hear it with your own ears ? :D

Yes... You can deceive the "ear". You can't deceive a measurement machine...

[offtopic mode on]
Do you know what an mp3 file is ? Do you know how it works and what's its principles ?
It is a psychoacoustic lossy compression algorithm. It "compress" the data of an audio stream by deceiving your ears! It removes data from the audio stream to make it's size smaller based on an algorithm that deceives your ears. It gives your ears the impression that they "hear" all the info of the original audio stream (or most of it) while in fact it uses a lot less of the original data to achieve this.

Another misconception of the human ear is the "loudness" factor. Most people tend to find that "louder" equals better. Well that's NOT the case!!! For instance a louder soundcard will be interpreted by most people as a better soundcard even if it has bigger THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) and bigger crosstalk (sound bleeds from one channel to another)

Finally, there's something called "dynamic range". Have you ever heard of it ? Do you know what it is ? If you are about to compare the sound output of two devices (or software titles or whatever) you must do it on the full spectrum of their dynamic range, and of course on the full spectrum of the frequencies they can produce (frequency range). You must create frequency response graphs for both devices and compare them.
There are way too much parameters that you must take into account when you compare sound outputs. This can't be done by your "ears"

PS: Your ears can tell you if there's a difference when you change one parameter of the sound. But in several cases they can't tell you if it's for better or worst.

PS2: Audio "quality" of a produced sound is measured by it's fidelity compared to the original source. The "closer" these two sounds are, the better quality the audio device in question has.
A device that takes a sound and makes it sound "better" on your ears than the original source DOES NOT have a better sound quality from a device that produces the EXACT same sound as the source it received. Such a device is called "enhancer" and it should be considered as a special audio device.
[offtopic mode off]

Sorry for the off-topic.
Back to VirtualDJ now!!!

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 2:37 am
Hey all,

Installed the update (thank!) yesterday and played around a bit.. some things I noticed:

Sound Engine

- Very hard to tell if the sound overall really improved on my VCI-400. I was playing FLAC's and they sounded great, than again, they always do.
- Not possible to get lower ASIO latency than the latency I was using with 7.0
- Jogweel feels and sounds better
- I did notice a performance improvement when using layered effects. With 7.0 I sometimes got crackles.
- Time stretching, even in advanced mode, can still cause sound glitches with 'fragile tracks' for example, just voice and slow piano. Even though I think, that when lowering the tempo the quality stayed better.
- One thing that did truly worry me is that I had two tracks de-syncing in tempo spontaneously several times. The tracks had a BMP difference of 20, which I know is big, but shouldn't make a difference. This stopped when I reset the tempo fader positions on my VCI. So unsure what the cause of this was.

Interface

- As a wave rider I cheer for the colored wave forms, but they do make the whole thing much harder to read, especially the position. What is not helping is the red and blue overlay that flows over the waveform to show position. Some clear markers on top of below the waveform would be a huge help.

Well thats my first impression, still need to go wild with it!

Cheers

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 5:16 am
ZamoodaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Can someone please address the "underwater effect" you hear while cueing a track; you can also hear it while scratching. Again this was not happening in any other version or update only 7.3

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 7:54 am
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Thanx, posted now;^]

so where are the pics

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 8:24 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 8:39 am
Zamooda wrote :
Can someone please address the "underwater effect" you hear while cueing a track; you can also hear it while scratching. Again this was not happening in any other version or update only 7.3

What controller are you using?
Try to raise the registry value JogScratchLatency, to 2048 or even 4096 and see if it helps.

Posted Fri 16 Nov 12 @ 4:20 pm
lost my head afters last nights crash and sound issue.. I spoke too soon. Im so not excited about installing windows 8 tommorow on the master touch screen. I also ended up buying a new laptop to find out someones not telling me the truth..

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 12:17 am
Dev staff wrote :
Zamooda wrote :

Try to raise the registry value JogScratchLatency, to 2048 or even 4096 and see if it helps.

I too are having problems with loss of sound in headphones, when one track is already playing, then mixing in the next. I'm using a numark USB 200 mixer with two built in sound cards, with a DMC 2 controller.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 3:50 am
fatty48PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Just used V7.3 and the sound improvement is amazing through my Denon dn-mc6000, Well done Guys!!!

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 9:11 am
I had a hard crash the first time I used it with my Denon MC6000, as soon as I used the centre knob to browse effects - probably on a plugin initialisation. Hasn't happened since - though I thought should mention it in case it's a regression. Will keep an eye out for repeat occurrences and will try to record a step-by-step for recreation if I can repeat it. Any particular information you prefer for bug reports, or places on the forum to post them?

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 9:30 am
dirtySi wrote :
I had a hard crash the first time I used it with my Denon MC6000, as soon as I used the centre knob to browse effects - probably on a plugin initialisation. Hasn't happened since - though I thought should mention it in case it's a regression. Will keep an eye out for repeat occurrences and will try to record a step-by-step for recreation if I can repeat it. Any particular information you prefer for bug reports, or places on the forum to post them?

Yes, I would not use the center knob to quickly browse effects. I posted this awhile ago. It seems that some effects are trying to load parameters, and this will cause a crash. You can use it slowly. I removed all effects to see which ones caused the problem, but it was a lot of them, so I don't use the knob. You can try at home, and you will be able to repeat the crash.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 1:20 pm
ZamoodaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Dev staff wrote :
Zamooda wrote :

Using the Denon MC6000. No issues other than that and its not really an issue just was wondering why it was happening. Sounds amazing.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 9:58 pm
How or where can I get VDJ 7.2 BACK? I just updated to 7.3 and I am disappointed.

I am using VDJ with Numark Mixdeck on MacBook Pro.

after update to 7.3 i noticed the following problems

--- When I start VDJ - It does not remember sound-card configuration. i have to go to configuration in prefs and hit apply.
--- It froze on me for the THIRD TIME when i tried to apply sound-card configuration.
--- I am using VDJ PRO version and I will not feel like PRO DJ on tomorrow's gig waiting for the software to crash (DISASTER) while having people dancing on the floor.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 10:59 pm
I suppose it's the price of progress, but I HATE the new search. I have been lightning fast searching tracks since 4.3, but now I have to take extra time to start with a quotation mark? Oh well, boo hoo.

Also the results only pertain to the current folder. Not cool. Why not at least keep the results view the same, ie. the results from the selected folder above the line, and all others below the line?

Oh and everything pertaining to browsing / searching is slow... Grrr.

It does sound noticeably better, even on the crappy systems I have to plug into.

I am hoping to see a registry value allowing us to choose the old or new search method!

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 11:29 pm
djmikekc wrote :
I suppose it's the price of progress, but I HATE the new search. I have been lightning fast searching tracks since 4.3, but now I have to take extra time to start with a quotation mark? Oh well, boo hoo.

Also the results only pertain to the current folder. Not cool. Why not at least keep the results view the same, ie. the results from the selected folder above the line, and all others below the line?

Oh and everything pertaining to browsing / searching is slow... Grrr.

It does sound noticeably better, even on the crappy systems I have to plug into.

I am hoping to see a registry value allowing us to choose the old or new search method!

That is not how my search reacts at all, my search results are exactly the same as before except I can type rain purple instead of just purple rain. If you get it sorted, the new search is VERY handy

Posted Sat 17 Nov 12 @ 11:41 pm
i have noticed with the recent 7.3 update as stated the search engine is a little different ..i have noticed this with my library .i use to be able to type in the search line 14 - b and it ould take me to that precise area withinthat folder .. it no longer does this does this so now i have to scroll down the list to get to the b's in section 14 .
Any views on this ...

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 4:16 am
djmikekc wrote :
I suppose it's the price of progress, but I HATE the new search. I have been lightning fast searching tracks since 4.3, but now

Especially setting to focus on the search field or clearing it is ridiculously slow and will freeze the whole application. To reproduce (at least with me):

- Search a term
- press backspace, its gonna be the last letter that will freeze VDJ

or

- Search a term
- set the focus of the search input
- Re-set the focus on the search input, this will clear it and again freeze VDJ

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 4:24 am
adam2410 wrote :
How or where can I get VDJ 7.2 BACK? I just updated to 7.3 and I am disappointed.

I am using VDJ with Numark Mixdeck on MacBook Pro.

after update to 7.3 i noticed the following problems

--- When I start VDJ - It does not remember sound-card configuration. i have to go to configuration in prefs and hit apply.
--- It froze on me for the THIRD TIME when i tried to apply sound-card configuration.
--- I am using VDJ PRO version and I will not feel like PRO DJ on tomorrow's gig waiting for the software to crash (DISASTER) while having people dancing on the floor.

Adam, just get in touch with support using a support ticket and they'll give you version 7.2 back. Obviously, it's a silly thing to say now, but it's always a good idea to keep all the versions just in case you ever want to go back.

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 9:06 am
jboerlage wrote :
djmikekc wrote :
I suppose it's the price of progress, but I HATE the new search. I have been lightning fast searching tracks since 4.3, but now

Especially setting to focus on the search field or clearing it is ridiculously slow and will freeze the whole application. To reproduce (at least with me):

- Search a term
- press backspace, its gonna be the last letter that will freeze VDJ

or

- Search a term
- set the focus of the search input
- Re-set the focus on the search input, this will clear it and again freeze VDJ

No issues with search here, performs just as well as it did before but now love to be able to search for artist and track name in one hit.

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 9:12 am
Had a 8 hour job last Night at a 30 year birthday party and had no problems at all
Thanks vdj team for a good job

Posted Sun 18 Nov 12 @ 2:03 pm
59%