Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A video of the famous crash behavoir - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Well I hoped that I would be here posting my awesome video of me gettin lose with the XP10s but that didnt happen. Instead, I'm posting my video of Virtual DJ crashing while I was trying to get lose with some beat juggling. I submitted this crash behavoir to tech support over a week ago and got no response. Oh well. At least you guys can see it. Shame though, this was a sweet mix until VDJ crashed.

http://www.anewsome.com/Session.avi

My apologies in advance, it's hosted on my DSL line. Sorry.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 8:48 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Dude, here sw crashes totally blank - no crash guard, nothing... This IS serious. Didn't know it was that bad. I hope staff will really look into it, this isn't acceptable at all.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 10:29 am
Yes, it is serious and very easy to replicate. My message to support has gone unanswered so far. We'll see what happens.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 5:29 pm
Does that happen often? I have never seen anything like that before. It wasn't loke you was doing anything weird. I didn't notice any hard cuts or that you possibly bumped your laptop. The Support Team has got to get you some help with this. If it happened with me, I would be pissed.

MS

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 10:19 pm
Hey maddsound. Thanks for apprieciating how annoying this problem is. This problem does happen often, often enough for it to annoy me beyond belief. It is not just happening to me either. Many people expierence the same problem in these forums. I guess I'm just the most vocal about it because I really want it fixed! Not only has it not been fixed but my message to support has gone completely unanswered for 2 straight weeks!

I'd just like them to acknowledge the problem exists and at least make me feel like it might be fixed someday.

I can however say that the crashes are not "random", they happen when you are scratching at the begining of a track. Always. If I don't scratch at the begining of tracks then VDJ does not crash. It's that simple. So when I do a real gig I won't be doing any scratching at the start of tracks.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 11:37 pm
thank you, thank you, thank you for showing that I am not the only one having these problems

if atomix fixes this problem, adds id3 tag support, and improves the master tempo quality, then VDJ would be perfect.

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 2:04 am
I have that problem all the time. I was in the middle of hobbling along scratching with my hercules, and it did that to me in front of 200 people, who were enjoying themselves up till then. Of course I promptly switched the wheels to jog mode and gave up on scratching. Its a HUGE problem.
I don't believe people didnt know this happens, and it happens to me so regularly.

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 8:16 pm
I use TCV, and it happens to me when I'm scractching at the beginning of a track

Posted Sun 27 Feb 05 @ 1:02 am
I use TCV, but havent watched it yet.

I am just now getting a crash where if i scratch in the beginning of the beat/track, it Imediately crashes, and SHOUTS out this annoying digital BUZZ. alot like the sound jim carrey makes on dumb & dumber.
just, "EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"!

if this is the same crash i am Just now starting to get, then this is a big problem.

Ill run a virus check, and re-install, but i dont think it will help. my system is hardly used, and i did a clean install of windows xp not two months ago......so......

WTF!

Posted Mon 28 Feb 05 @ 11:22 pm
Can someone try this: use the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) to see what the CPU usage is during scratching. It must be hitting the 100% mark for crashing to occur. I’m not using secondary hardware for scratching so I can’t perform this test. However, I am considering using a CD player and time-coded CDs for scratching.

OO

b.t.w. Why hasn't Support Staff or Dev Team responded?

Posted Mon 28 Feb 05 @ 11:34 pm
well, i also have a gig of RAM, and a 2800+ amd. decent motherboard, all that

this just started to happen. like, today.
i have used VDJ for hours before, and this is the first time this has happened. i even want to say that i did more in the past as far as scratching. i was testing everything out to insure it worked. it did for about a month, and now its crapping out on me everytime i use it.

im just now done with the virus check, and im about to re-install. Ill check out the task manager while im scratching, and let ya know. i really want this to be fixed soon

its hard to think that this program can be more intense on your system than a game like UT2k4/Doom3. my PC gets boiling hot when i play those games. it doesnt come close to that heat when im running VDJ.

its a programming error. something needs to be coded/FIXED.

Posted Mon 28 Feb 05 @ 11:56 pm
whats with the support team?

are they on vacation..

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 1:18 am
Glad I have some fellow crash partners out there. I'll be even more glad when they fix this problem or at least acknowledge in the forums that this problem is known and being addressed. They have been VERY silent on the topic though. Not a single member of support has ever responded to ANY of my threads regarding this crash. Same goes for my messages to support. I think my first message to support is now over three weeks old. I've provided them with an mp3 file so they can hear the crash and broken record effect resulting from crash. Now I've created the video that you can see the crash happen in real life! Still no response. Add to that, all of you are saying that you are experiencing the problem too. This doesn't even take into consideration all the people this has happened to and just haven't bothered to read the forums or chime in on the topic.

blackgold9, I feel your pain. My first TWO crashes were when using my HDJC and VDJ in front of a large party, packed dance floor. Place went silent and everyone was staring at me like wtf is going on? I know the feeling and it is not good!

However, now that I know what causes the crash, I'm pretty sure I could get through a full gig without a crash but I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells when I'm using the software. It should be stable when used as it was designed for. Either a featue is stable or it needs to be removed. Period. A crapload of features is of ZERO use if they are not stable. ZERO use.

And VxLeSTaTxV, I would say don't bother re-installing your system. I've done that and it does absolutely no good. VDJ will still crash. I mean a fresh install is always really nice but it's not gonna help VDJ be more stable, at least not in my experience. This crash immediately happened with my brand new Dell laptop. Specs on my laptop are:

Dell Inspiron 5100 (i think that is the model)
3.06GHz Pentium 4 (not a mobile pentium)
1GB Ram
100GB hard drive
WindowsXP Proefessional

This system also does not go online or actually do anything other than run VDJ, so virus and spyware are defintely not on my system.

As I've posted before. I also rip and encode all of my own mp3s using the excellent lame encoder. 192Kb, constant bitrate, no esoteric options.

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 1:28 am
i finally saw the avi

your crash is a little different from mine. i would say mine is worse, because of the high pitched squell my mixer recieves.

it happens when i loop something on table 1, and try to mix out of it with table 2 while scratching that intro of table 2. sometimes it will work, and sometimes when i cue it up, and get ready to throw the track on, BAMM-BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

it sucks. its a really loud buzz too.

ill make another thread about my problem in the bug reports.

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 1:51 am
See my post "A New Style Of Crashing". What you saw in the video was a "poof" style crash. No error, no squeel, just poof and VDJ is gone. My other style of crashing makes this very annoying broken record effect with a very tight half or quarter second loop of the tracks on both decks. I have to power down since I can't even get to the task manager.

Crashguard? You must be pulling my leg. Does this thing even do anything other than take up disk space? Crashguard has never done anything but sit there and take up disk space.

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 2:07 am
Anewsome, try displaying the Task Manager before you start mixing. As you intensify cuttin’ it up, monitor the CPU usage. Once it approaches about 90%, keep your eyes on the Task Manager to see what % your cpu is at before it crashes. I posted this procedure in the following thread that WirelessDJ started months ago:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=5530&page=1

OO

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 3:05 am
well, i had already re-installed vdj before i read that anewsome.

now, i get an installation error when i try to re-install.
I need the support team to at least look at my "ask a question". there were 3 team members on earlier. none of them read it. I really hope im not saying this same thing a week from now

i would like to at least be able to tinker with vdj, even if it does crash on me.
perhaps i could have fixed it.
now, it looks like its gonna take a day to read my "question," and then itll take another day to actually fix it. the team is no where to be found.

i am seriously looking at Mix vibes DVS now. i mean, its the same thing. i thought this one was better. i have had non stop trouble with every single part of my "vdj experience".

itll cost me about 155 to get DVS going, but i think the support team is 100x better than this crap. i will give vdj 2 days, and then im done. mix vibes ahoy

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 3:50 am
Anewsome,

Unrelated to your crash, but what were the names of the tracks that you were playing in the video?

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 6:22 am
I have a couple of videos posted. Not sure which one you are looking at. The crash video is beat juggling Qtip's "Let's Ride", which is a good one to demonstrate the crash because beat 1 is right up against the edge of the track. The other video I posted, I think I'm juggling the free beats at the start of Special Ed's "I Got It Made".

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 6:52 am
Ok Double O, I pulled up the task manager while going absolutely crazy with the wheels scratching. Scratching both XP10s (for over 5 minutes) at the same time using the same track I crashed with on the video. No matter how much scratching I did, the CPU did not move over 37%. This is a 3.06Ghz CPU with 1GB of ram. Ram also had plenty leftover. Starting the think that 1GB of memory is overkill even. Also VDJ did not crash while going absolutely crazy with the XP10s. Frustrating.

The crash to me does not feel like a CPU, diskI/O, memory or any other bottleneck. It feels like a programming error which causes a program malfunction. Let's just say that after more than 15 years of being a heavy computer user, you get a feel for these things.

Posted Tue 01 Mar 05 @ 7:05 am
42%