Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MAJOR bug: BPM analyzer clobbering existing setttings when song is played - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've used VDJ for years and up until now I've not encountered anything that was a show-stopper software bug, but this song re-analyzing (and then not keeping previously saved BPM settings) is absolutely NOT acceptable. I've spent many days over the years analyzing my song files, setting cue points, and keeping my VDJ database intact so that when I do a party my music is set and reliable. It's bad enought that if you download album art from iTunes for an existing song file the VDJ library entry the song file gets clobbered, but at least you can re-establish your previously settings and move on.

When I installed the latest update (virtualdj_v5.1.exe for PC) and began playing songs I noticed that the bpm setting for the song I just played was reset as if the file was being analyzed for the first time. Problem is the few songs I played I've had for months, and some I've even done manual edits and tweaks just to make sure the file's BPM matches the actual beat of the song. Why then would VDJ be set to reset the BMP everytime you play it. At least it is not clobbering the cue point too.

With this error I now have to go back to the previous VDJ release and won't install any future updates until this is fixed. Once a song is analyzed and saved to your liking the program should not reset the BPM on the file unless the user performs that action on the file. Please fix ASAP.

DJ+Remedy

Posted Wed 11 Jun 08 @ 9:28 pm
On the whole I am pleased with the new analyser. Its great for dubstep which is what I usually mix, the old one was a bit hit and miss.
Although it's bad for drum and bass, 5.07 was better for this. 5.1 re-analyses on load and halves the bpm of alot of my d&b, quite anoying. It shoudln't touch it unless it's a new track to VDJ or you manually tell it to re-analyse.

Posted Thu 12 Jun 08 @ 4:35 pm
got to agree here, why re-analyse when I've manually set the correct bpm myself!? I know it now has to scan for the key of the song, but I'm sure they could make it do that without re-scanning the bpm as well.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 2:48 am
I've noticed in my testing that bpm, key, and gain are all being re-analyzed, unless you rescan before loading for the first time in 5.1.

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 10:39 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Can you turn this feature off for all except brand new tracks that never been analyzed? I already have keys imported from another program and most of the BPM i have manually adjusted. Can you do mark tracks analyzed by edting database.xml?

Posted Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 4:28 am
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
+1

This is very annoying especially when the new BPM engine give a *wrong* BPM (and it was correct before) and sometimes it's just not *2 or /2 but totally bogus.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 08 @ 5:55 pm
RuudboyPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Same here the new bpm engine isnt good for hiphop.... it hardly gets the 1 right... plus bpms are not right when they where before....
Please provide an option to not touch old scanned files!!!!!

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 6:59 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Do you guys have the BPM settings to detect beats less then 80??? without looking i thin kit should be set to smart.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 8:23 am
Drum and Bass is way over 80 bmp. More than twice infact.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 8:25 am
I think listen2 meant that for the Hip Hop guys.

Under CONFIG/OPTIONS/ALLOW BPM <80: set to SMART

Think of this as choosing "Other Music" in the older versions.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 8:44 am
i set all my DnB in the 80's, i know technically it's double that but works just the same in half tempos. Scan your DnB in mixmeister and see what comes up. I scanned almost 4Gb of Dnb last night and in mixmeister i got only a handful that were 160's. The fact is if it scans in the 80's the tempo is correct, but if that bothers you then double it. I would rather my DnB in halfs, that way i can mix in hip hop and breaks much easier since they all within the same range.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 8:54 am
This is not the bug... the bug has to do with files you scanned before upgrading..

Secondly, the bpm on new files works ok, except that for hiphop it hardly catches the 1, the old engine did that better... but then both engines are about 60% right, the old one less...

I am used to doing manually by now, dont really care, its just that i dont want to do it twice, this makes absolute not sense!

Posted Thu 19 Jun 08 @ 10:59 am
Do you have a song for an example? I have not had any issues with the BPM's. I'm just curious

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 8:38 am
try any song that is not typical 4/4....

but that is not the BIG issue at all, its that if you have 40.000 scanned songs, of which you have up2 4000 manually adjusted, you loose that 4000 data and have to do it again... are they going to pay me refund per hour on that??????

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 1:20 pm
HOW DO YOU AVOID RESCANNING, COME ON GUYS THIS IS REALLY A BIG ISSUE! IF IT NOT POSSIBLE LET US KNOW TOO!

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 1:34 pm
It is not possible, VDJ will rescan on load to get camelot and also scans with the new bpm engine, do what I did and use 5.0 til you can get all the files scanned and ready for 5.1

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 1:38 pm
that would be about 4000 songs of redoing thanks!

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 2:47 pm
Ruudboy wrote :
that would be about 4000 songs of redoing thanks!

It happens,

I had to scan over 25000 MP3's on my system and over 1500 videos.

took 2 1/2 days

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 3:56 pm
I am workin on 1 of 3 systems at the moment, but hey from what I saw yesterday man 5.1 was smooth as butta. LOL Automix was much better, and the bpm engine far more accurate.

Posted Sat 21 Jun 08 @ 4:43 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a hack solution to this. Open your databse file VirtualDJ Local Database v5.xml with some text editor like wordpad (make sure to make a backup copy of the database file first!!).
Then you have to do a search-and-replace operation:
Search for a String: IsScanned="1"
and replace it with: IsScanned="510"

Save the document.

Now VDJ 5.1 never rescans any tracks except new ones and those that never been scanned before.
Hope this helped!

EDIT: alas, Just noticed that the key gets never analyzed then. Perfect solution should be that 5.1 scans only key for old tracks and left everything else untouched.

Posted Sun 22 Jun 08 @ 3:38 am
74%