Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptops that can flawlessly mix video - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm telling you guys the deal. The larger more complex video cards that are made for gaming causes 80% of the problems people have with VDJ. The simple video cards like the intel is working great. I would also like to add that I'm not running a small simple setup with a midi mixer with built in controls. I'm running Pioneer CDJ-1000s with a DJM-600 or 800 mixer, depending on which system I want to take out that day, and a Scratch Live controller. I'm not running one video and then stopping it to play another. I'm a mix DJ. My videos are lucky to be playing for 1 to 2 minutes before they are changed. I'm also running text, sonique or titles or the slide show when playing mp3s. I have also figured out how to load hundreds of pictures to the computer on the fly while I'm mixing and them automatically adding themselves to the slide show. Super cool at dances when I have one of our candid photographers with me.

Here are 2 different sytem setups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZoArtDkB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBfUKR9w0Q

Posted Tue 17 Jun 08 @ 9:56 pm
What was tested - Toshiba A305-S6843. It has a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3470 in it. VDJ says their software works better on an ATI card....AND THEY ARE RIGHT. This laptop worked perfectly. Here's my setup. I first have to put the 32 bit version of windows on the laptop. I use the serato sl1 box and they for some reason have not come out with a 64 bit driver yet. The laptop comes with Vista and I left it on there. All of the 32 bit drivers were very easy to find on the Toshiba website. Next loaded Serato drivers for the SL1 box. Then loaded VDJ. I did nothing else. 1 hour later took it straight to the club for a 4 hour show. Worked flawlessly. Smooth video transitions. No pausing or skipping. Did not crash and was very stable. I actually tried to get it to fail. It did not. I was very impressed. A little more pricey @ 1249.99 then the other computer that works very well (HP Pavillion dv6835nr @ $599), but a lot more robust. You can tell this computer has a larger processor and video card in it. I would recommend it. Pull it out of the box...plug it in...your mixing video!

Posted Fri 20 Jun 08 @ 2:26 am
I'm glad you mentioned that. I saw a laptop last week that i like but comes with vista 64.
So just to be sure can i buy this laptop and then wipe vista 64 off of it and load vista 32 with no problems ?

Posted Sun 22 Jun 08 @ 10:28 am
BUMP

Posted Mon 23 Jun 08 @ 4:54 pm
Yes you can. The laptops usually come with a windows disk. All windows vista disks come with 32 and 64 on them. You just reload windows and choose the 32 bit setup. This is also good because it reloads windows from scratch and gets rid of all the extra trash they preload on the laptop. Good luck brother.

Posted Wed 25 Jun 08 @ 11:55 pm
Thank you mpezella.
Now the toss up lies between the toshiba you posted or the asus G1s
Good looking out

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 11:37 am
No problem brother. Of the two laptops that worked the cheap HP Pavillion dv6835nr was the best. It has yet to crash. Runs and mixes video very smooth. The Toshiba's video driver crashed the other night halfway through my show. It's only done it once and I'm still testing it. I'll keep you posted.

Posted Thu 26 Jun 08 @ 9:05 pm
Still having video driver drop problems with the output on the Toshiba. It's going back Wednesday. I've decided the cheaper HP is the way to go. That laptop has no problems at all. After all of the testing I have come to the conclusion the higher-end video cards that are prodominately made for gaming are the problem The bells and whistles get in the way of the simple process of video playback. Remember all we are asking the computer to do is playback files no larger than that on a DVD. I don't know of a laptop that can't play a DVD. Again, more exspensive is not always better. And don't listen to what size laptop and video card you have to have to play video area on VDJs website. It's not right.

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 5:53 pm
I think I may just go ahead and get that HP u are mentioning, we will soon see.

Posted Mon 30 Jun 08 @ 6:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)