Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJing free of charge???? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
A friend of mine has got me a set 1 night a week ( friday ) in a bar. The landlady has said can I do it free of charge for a few weeks, just to see how it goes. Then if it all kick's off she'll pay me.

I said yes I'll do it. My girlfriend say's I'm mad for not being payed. I don't see it like that. I see it has 1 step on the DJ ladder.

I am I mad for taking it on or not, some advice would help.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:22 pm
I think both sides are right but what type of place is this. If it's a standard bar then you are being taken advantage of and you are probably not showing your professionalism by doing it for free. On the other hand, if it's a place where DJ's are lining up to spin. Then yes, get your foot in the door and spin like you were the highest paid DJ in city.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:28 pm
No you're not mad for taking it - But Beware - You might fall into that "free night" and your out thing that bar owners want to do.

Every bar I've ever tryed out in has made it worth my while - either in cold hard ducats or booze.

The best are the ones that throw you 50 bucks cash for an hour or two and a 100 bar tab for the night

If the bar doesn't make it worth your while, do the gig do a good job and make sure you get paid for the third week or don't show.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:29 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
If they are a business getting paid you should get paid. Bar owners drive me crazy!!! Cheap cheap cheap idiots!!! A not for profit orginization different issue, but they are going to make money off of your labors, so should you. Don't ever, I mean NEVER, let a bar talk you into doing something for free. The "we'll pay you if it works" deal never does pan out. The owner will come up a million reasons not to pay you. By setting your limit now it will avoid confusion in the future....

"The Line Must Be Drawn Here! This Far And No Farther!!"

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:30 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i agree , you must be careful or they will burn you

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:38 pm
ptery , i'm proud to know ya .......yer great when you get goin' ....lol

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:40 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
TearEmUp you feel very strongly about this issue don't you.

The thing is, you pro's have made it or making it. I'm just at the starting line. I see this as a chance.

The owner has put some money in the place and sound system. I'm no mug, I've decided to give it 3 week's and then she her.

At least I'll get free drink's for me and the bird.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:41 pm
everybody starts the same ...... i'd say give 'em a 2 hour trial and then that's it ......get a contract or yer done with them

jim, after you get out there a bit you will probably feel like some of us .......there are a lot of very unprofessional people running bars and restaurants and clubs

Marcel had people give him a raft of s@#t because after he announced a drink special ,THEN they tell him they don't have the drink ......

somehow that was his fault ??????????????

you will be dealing with dumb ,cheap , rude people ..... it takes getting used to ......or not in ptery's case .....lol

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:45 pm
Yes your correct, every DJ worth his salt has done his dues and continue to do them but at the same time you have to continue to move forward by showing people where you want to be ie... If you want to be a millionaire then your going to have to think and act like one.

We all can say this or that but none of us knows the details of the bar or your area.

give us some more detail and we might be able to give some valid point that fits the situation.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:50 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
A contract? Man, things are obviously far more civilised in the US, that never happens in the UK! I've been doing this for around 12 years, and in that time never had any kind of contract!

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 9:50 pm
jimmy b wrote :
TearEmUp you feel very strongly about this issue don't you.

The thing is, you pro's have made it or making it. I'm just at the starting line. I see this as a chance.

The owner has put some money in the place and sound system. I'm no mug, I've decided to give it 3 week's and then she her.

At least I'll get free drink's for me and the bird.

^All of this in not your problem, so don't fall for it. ^

Yes I feel strongly, bar owners take advantage of DJs. Say thing like "I'll get a juke box" You are paying your dues, by working at all. I quite the bar/club scene because of weasels always looking to take advantage of guys like you. Just starting yes, so take a little less money until you get more experience. It is a chance, a change for the bar owner to make money, you should too! Also you are taking a chance by doing the job, what if something happens to your equipment, or CDs, or lappy? Your out of pocket and get dick(ed)! Get something, tell her its a token of good faith on her part, and yours for doing it for so little. But do not do it for free! I doubt you and the bird are going to drink that much, not if you want to become a professional DJ. No one wants to hire a drunk DJ.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:03 pm
uhhhhhhhhhh................far more civilised in the US ???????????????????????

have you ever seen a parrot twist it's neck around so it is looking at you with it's head upside down ?? .....

i'm trying to do that ......hopefully what i see on the computer screen will seem more correct viewed upside down ...........

but so far .....lol

i have been doing this nine years and most everything has a contract .......you'll get a vigorous screwing from the upper middle class twit of the year (bar owner) if not .......

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:03 pm
I would never dj for free at a bar. She is making money and so should you. It's Business.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:09 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Nothing in this world are free n yes at least even tho for a trial it must not up to 3 wks, sensible for a few hrs.. that its:) dont be too soft hearted n take this as oppurtunity to the upper world. there more ways to climb up.. BOTTOMLINE is at least get pay for the 2nd wk and so on.. The first its ok as u just want to take this as a doorway to spinning in bar but other than that pls dont let ppl take advantage of u:)

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:21 pm
jimmy b wrote :
A friend of mine has got me a set 1 night a week ( friday ) in a bar. The landlady has said can I do it free of charge for a few weeks, just to see how it goes. Then if it all kick's off she'll pay me.

I said yes I'll do it. My girlfriend say's I'm mad for not being payed. I don't see it like that. I see it has 1 step on the DJ ladder.

I am I mad for taking it on or not, some advice would help.

I have a few issues with this, and will address them separately.

1. You should have asked us for advice "BEFORE", you gave your word. Since they have not seen your performance, all you have is your word, right now. I am not gonna go on about this, because it's done, and you can't take it back. In the future, you will say, "let me think about it, and I will get back to you".

2. Now that you have said yes, there has to be a limit, and some kind of compensation. You will tell her " unfortunately, I will only be able to do 2 weeks, because I have taken a gig the following week, and will need to have a decision after that". Also, I know we did not discuss this yet, but how much of a bar tab are we talking about? Of course, you will use your own words, I'm just giving an example.

3. What is this "A friend of mine has got me a set 1 night a week ( Friday ) in a bar". Is he a go between, or some kind of agent? In other words is he getting something out of this? If so, that's a big no no.

4. I am with TearEmUp, but I remember when I first started. I just wanted to play. However, I didn't know any better at the time, and this was a new thing. Now I know better, and I don't drink or drug anymore, so I only want to see money. Well, now you know better.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:28 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
3. What is this "A friend of mine has got me a set 1 night a week ( Friday ) in a bar". Is he a go between, or some kind of agent? In other words is he getting something out of this? If so, that's a big no no.

That tickled my brain a bit too AMaHM, I thought "not a very good friend".

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:33 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
uhhhhhhhhhh................far more civilised in the US ???????????????????????

have you ever seen a parrot twist it's neck around so it is looking at you with it's head upside down ?? .....

i'm trying to do that ......hopefully what i see on the computer screen will seem more correct viewed upside down ...........

but so far .....lol

i have been doing this nine years and most everything has a contract .......you'll get a vigorous screwing from the upper middle class twit of the year (bar owner) if not .......

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about, but I am laughing so hard, I have tears in my eyes. You are one funny guy. Everytime I look at the parrot line I crack myself up.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:37 pm
I can't stop laughing, but I think I know what you are talking about, now. No contract, no party.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:45 pm
I never DJ for free. You devalue yourself and your craft when you do. I do have guest DJ's that play with me from time to time and they never get cut into my pay, sometimes the bar/nightclub pays them based on the amount of people they bring in, sometimes they just do it for exposure. One of my best friends (Frankie Bank$) just played at Banana Split Sundays with DJ AM and Steve Aoki, at AM's spot LAX. He did not get paid, but made mad connections and raised his status as a DJ. I would kill to play on a Sunday there.

I do believe there is a problem in the DJ community with this though, especially in a city like Chicago where 'everyone is a DJ'. I run into DJ's undercutting each other all the time. Especially since someone can download a couple songs off of Limewire, buy VDJ and a Soundcard, plug into a bars sound system and Microwave it all night. Most bar/nightclub managers don't know about music and the art of putting it together for a crowd. They just want the top songs on. There is always someone around who will do my job for a third of what they pay me! Thats my worry moving to video as it becomes more popular and more newbies get into the business.

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 10:55 pm
CHARL1E F1VE wrote :
I do believe there is a problem in the DJ community with this though, especially in a city like Chicago where 'everyone is a DJ'. I run into DJ's undercutting each other all the time. Especially since someone can download a couple songs off of Limewire, buy VDJ and a Soundcard, plug into a bars sound system and Microwave it all night. Most bar/nightclub managers don't know about music and the art of putting it together for a crowd. They just want the top songs on. There is always someone around who will do my job for a third of what they pay me! Thats my worry moving to video as it becomes more popular and more newbies get into the business.

Thats been a problem here for 25 years Charlie....

Posted Fri 29 Jun 07 @ 11:33 pm
50%