Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video Mixing HELP! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi, I hope this is in the right place!

I'm just starting to get into video mixing but I'm having some trouble!! None of the FX or Transitions will work for me!! Any idea why? All I can make it do is fade from one vid to another! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rory!

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 10:06 pm
You have to select which transitions, or effects you want. Which skin are you using?

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 10:30 pm
Im using the full video mixing skin and I have been selecting the transitions, and activating them but they still wont work!!

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 10:46 pm
So, if you use the pulldown under transitions, you see multiple choices of transitions. Let's say you see default, you select it, and when you crossfade, how does it fade?

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 10:53 pm
Rory05 wrote :
I'm just starting to get into video mixing but I'm having some trouble!! None of the FX or Transitions will work for me!! Any idea why? All I can make it do is fade from one vid to another! Any help would be much appreciated!

I had the problem then I realized that my video card may not support all the cool stuff.

correct me if i'm wrong... because I'm in the process in researching for better card along with a new computer. I've seen the list of video cards that work well with VDJ, but I also to don't want to go overkill on something either.

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 11:06 pm
I'm starting to think that my vid card is just crap!! No matter what transition I choose, the 2nd video just sorta comes through the first and you can see both of them, kinda. And then when you've faded the whole way you can just see the 2nd video.

I appreciate the help lads! Hopefully we can get this sorted!

Rory

Posted Mon 09 Apr 07 @ 11:56 pm
What video card do you have? We are trying to help you.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 12:03 am
According to Everest I have a ATI Mobility Radeon X300 (M22).

I've also only got 512mb RAM and when I have 2 video's going the CPU usage is hitting 90% percent!

Rory

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 1:22 am
Hi, :)

As long as the X300 has dedicated video ram, it shouldn't be a problem, I've got that in my laptop and it works fine!

If you go into VDJ's "config", then click on the video tab, I'm guessing that the "hardware acceleration" box isn't ticked. Tick it if it's not and I think it should solve the problem.

Oh, for anybody else reading, the x300 isn't a great video card for video mixing, I sometime get small freezes when I load a song, but it does the job at the moment!

:)

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 3:52 am
Also make sure that hardware acceleration is checked in preferences>videos tab

I think that should help some fx work ..

also ,you should check to make sure u have the latest version of direct x installed

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 10:42 am
Thanks Guys! So far so good! Got the transitions working!

How do I know if I've got dedicated video RAM?

And I'm having a prob with the audio aswell! When I fade on the HDJ Console to the left I'm getting digital distorsion out all channels on my mixer! How can I fix that?

Thanks A Million Guys!

Rory

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 3:25 pm
Nice one getting the transitions working,

If your card is the same model as mine (which i think it is) it will have 128mb of video ram in.

If you can afford it, I would upgrade your laptops ram, 512mb isn't that much for video mixing. It might even be what's causing the audio problems.

What sound card have you got? Also what settings have you used in the sound tab in "config"?

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 4:27 pm
I have it set to 3 lines to mixer (ones for the sampler) and I'm using the MK1 HDJC!

Any advice on where I should be getting my videos from. I did a search and wasnt very satisfied with the results! Promo Only seems to be popular but some people were saying that you can't leagaly use them in a club! Thats a problem for me!

Any Ideas Guys?

Thanks,
Rory

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 4:42 pm
Bump!

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 5:49 pm
Of course! the sound card built into the herc!

Have you set the quality fader all the way to the left hand side on the options tab?

As for videos, if you're in europe you can try www.mixmash.com

Not sure where abouts in the world you are, but in the UK, a venue needs a license from VPL to legally play music videos on their screens. They also need a license from PPL to allow them to play music publically, but any club should have that already.

If you want to put mp3s onto your computer, in the uk you're meant to have a "digital dj license" to enable you to use the files for public performance. I don't think any other countries have this though.

As far as I know, nobody's ever been prosecuted for simply having copied music videos onto their hard drive.

I think there's even a few people on here who illegally download music vids and use those, I've never heard anybody say that they've had legal issues! (Wouldn't recommend it though, doesn't look very professional!)

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 6:52 pm
I believe PromoOnly is legal in the UK. You said you have it set to 3 line mixer in config. What are you using as the third line, since the Herc only has 2 lines? You could use your on board sound card, but you did not mention that, and what it is.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 7:00 pm
My Herc has 3 lines out!! It has phono's and mini jacks called 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and I use 2 for left and right decks of VDJ and 1 for the sampler!!

What kinda money do you pat for the promo only stuff?

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 10:21 pm
I'd never use illegaly downloded music in the club but I would at home just for myself, practicing and what not. Then get the real deal for the club.

And once again guys, Thanks so much for all the help! Really appreciate it!

Rory

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 10:24 pm
Rory05 wrote :
My Herc has 3 lines out!! It has phono's and mini jacks called 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and I use 2 for left and right decks of VDJ and 1 for the sampler!!

What kinda money do you pat for the promo only stuff?

I just learned something new. I did not know the herc had three outputs. So, this is going to it's own channel on your mixer? Why are you having problems with the volume?

Posted Tue 10 Apr 07 @ 10:37 pm
A Man And His Music: Just sometimes when I put the fader on the herc console all the way to the left or right when theres music playing ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!! Loads of mad digital sounds and distorsion etc.! Was just mixing some vid's there and it wasnt happening though! It comes an goes.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 07 @ 3:45 am
74%