Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Karaoke doesn't have graphics - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I want to switch over to VDJ, but I would like to make sure that it will work. I have a compatible system that has already been used with everything from PCDJ FX/KJ, Sax-N-Dotties, RoxBox etc. (so I know it works like a champ!) I play my karaoke tracks and I get no graphics. Video is active in the CFG>Video area. The screen pops up when I play the track but I only get the black screen. I have already created the extention zip>karaoke cdg/zip decoder. Is there a plugin that must be downloaded? I will by VDJ the minute that I can get the graphics to work. I hope someone has some input so I can start building the system.

Thanks,
Spensor

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 7:24 pm
Hi mobilemusic,

I had the same problem on my laptop as you describe.

What I discovered was that I had too many evaluation(trial versions and paid for) software on the laptop. My guess is that there was conflicts as to which software took control of the video layer even if I wasn't using it at the time(could be running in the background). The one that sticks out the most that gave that problem was "power CD+G filter". Try removing your other software and then reinstall VDJ.

After removing them everything was fine when using VDJ for Karaoke. I use VDJ on my laptop 6 days a week now. I, like you have tried every software available but VDJ comes in 1st place this year. I used Swift Elite for over 1 year but for a company soley focusing on Karaoke I was surprised to see that the can't figure out how to implement a proper key changer and pitch/tempo system, etc. Who knows what Iwill be using next year... Keep up the good work "Team VDJ"

Peace out
Funkmasterfrank
Montreal, Qc

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:03 pm
Spensor, welcome aboard!

Make sure that you have the crossfader on the correct side and make sure you have selected(under extentions) Zip and CDG both use the Karaoke/Zip Decoder. Othererwise there are no plugins and all should work without any tweaking. Try various files. Let me know.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 11:05 pm
d rocksPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey, I am in the trial version myself and was seeing the same issue. For some reason it would only play a few of the .zip files. I took a small folder and unzipped to mp3+g and it played all of them.
All I had to do was drag the mp3 part of it to the deck or I could cue them up in the playlist and they worked fine graphics music. Only issue is will start the next song when that one finishes so your next singer needs to be ready really ready lol!! I am sure that there are ways to get around this. Maybe use that file format. That folder before I unzipped it was about 80 meg and when I unzipped it jumped to 111 meg and that was all that was in it. Try some mp3+g files. Still smaller than cdg or bin files.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 06 @ 1:40 am
For both of you, I use VDJ Exclusively for my Karaoke stuff... I have NOOOOOO Problems.

I never used the demo version of the software, but kept my eye on the program. Once they added video AND karaoke, I was HOOKED....

There have been problems with some karaoke tracks crashing, but I have narrowed this down to the BPM Engine... Make sure it is on Techno.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 06 @ 12:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

To work with videos correctly you need a good Pc or Laptop, a powerful one, good video card 6600GT DDR 128MB recomended) and 1GB of RAM.

Maybe in here is where you got problems.

Good Luck!

Posted Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 3:09 am
I am curious on how to make VDJ with the MK2 work with karaoke tracks. I filled in for the local karaoke guy and had to use 2 laptops. one for sax and dottys and the other for VDJ to play music in between singers. How can I use only VDJ and what cables to I need. Remember I am using the MK2 controller.

Doug

Posted Tue 21 Mar 06 @ 6:54 pm
2 notes

1) i have just started using vdj for karaoke and ripping with audiograbber at 192kbps none of my singers could tell if it was a cd+g or off the hard disc. remember if you use an old drive to rip (translation=dirty drive, especially if you work in smoky bars) you will have worse rips than with a new drive. i use a sony and it is great.

2) with regard to the first response to your post, sometimes you will have multiple instances of VDJ installed after upgrading or installing a full version when you buy it. to avoid this, uninstall any older versions OR click start/programs/ and find the right one. if you just click on the "most popular recently used" icons on the start menu after a new install you are likely to get an older version. To see which you are running, note at startup that you'll get a message that SHOULD say VDJ 3.4

p.s. always have some karaoke cd+gs in your vehicle in case of a hardware failure or a software fluke and don't upgrade to a brand new version 10 minutes before a $600 gig :-)

you'll love not having to look up cd+g numbers anymore and so will your customers! and you'll get to spend more time mingling with them instead of searching for songs. the more you mingle, the more they like you, the more they come to your shows.

other karaoke hoster programs have some terrific features. but VDJ is the best solution overall for the mp3/video/karaoke dj. Karaoke is fairly new to VDJ so their handling doesn't have every single feature found in some of the competition that has karaoke as their sole focus. But VDJ has a history of bridging feature gaps fairly quickly so you are making the right choice.

good luck and you'll love the program.

Posted Tue 21 Mar 06 @ 9:35 pm
What he said! ;0)

Posted Thu 23 Mar 06 @ 11:15 pm
kjcraigPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hello I have been reading all the posts, and find them very helpfull, I have downloaded the trial to my home pc and had no problems (after reading pcgumshoe's awesome notes) I have absolutely fell in love with the program...... When i installed it on my laptop and following the same procedures, I can't seem to get graphics. XP home sp2 2.4ghz downloaded and installed the following net framework, aspi drivers, directx 9, ligos indeo video 5.1. All devices report they are working properly. I have not installed any of the ripping tools to my laptop, as i will be ripping them with my home pc to an external hard drive to take on the road. I think I covered everything that I did and have installed!! Any more suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks Bunches!
Craig

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 6:29 am
Did you set the extensions for zip to play using the karaoke engine?

These are zip files or mp3 and cdg files? If it's zip, go to Config, Extensions, "ADD" and type "zip" and then pick the karaoke CDG/ZIP decoder...

I'm not sure if this is a setting that is "pre" configured now or not...

This is the "SECONDARY" monitor you can't see it on?

Report back and I'll try to help.

Posted Tue 04 Apr 06 @ 4:28 pm
yes, i have done exactly what your notes said to do. I have the little blue K in front of the song title. When i drag it to the turntable, the little black graphic display box pops up on the screen but it stays blank. Just for S@#TS & giggles I downloaded a different virtual dj karaoke player and that one worked fine, but I don't like that program at all...When I plug into a tv with my s-video the entire desktop display's on the tv but still no graphics.

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry kjcraig no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 4:59 am
what? I have been posting for the last couple days to try to get this program working now i can't post???????

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 5:08 am
I have fixed the e-mail issue...... may I continue to post?

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 6:21 pm
Of course you are allowed to post. It is only not allowed to post your e-mail address, because you are a demo user.
Ewout

Posted Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 9:07 pm
Ok, after all that I just realized that my video card on my laptop is 64mb and it doesn't suport dual display...... what do I have to get to make this work?
Thanks for any suggestions
Frustrated,
Craig

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 5:24 am
a new laptop unfortunately

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 9:46 am
Or a new rackmount or barebone. The trouble with laptops is that they are relatively weak, especially for on the road use. So a rackmount in a proper case could be better. It depends on your needs.
The hardware in a rackmoun is much easier to upgrade than the hardware in a laptop.
Ewout

Posted Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 6:36 pm
If you have a HOME desktop that is powerful enough, try to use that... If all you are going to do is karaoke, then VDJ may not work for you in a laptop setting. There is another program out there, but you won't be as happy with all the other features. I've mentioned it before, but won't plug it.

For the extra power you need, VDJ is the best, hands down... even better than REAL disks... for reasons seasoned KJs know!

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 5:45 am
Well, Holly SHISNIT my lap top does support dual screans. after reading all the posts and my eyes about fell out of my head, I had read something about making sure you don't have any trial programs like that one pcgumshoe is talking about. I had recently inatalled it to see if that one would work and it did but didn't like it AT all. I than removed it and a window poped up and read that there was an older version of blah blah blah and it had to be removed first. So I did and than removed VDJ and reinstalled it. Had read on someones post about screan expansion and a few other things that I can't remember because my brain is mush from pulling an all nighter!! It now works like a champppppp! Now I will start shopping for either a powerfull notebook or build a rackmount. Now that I have more knowledge of what other dj's - kj's are using. Thank you all so much for sharing your wisdom. The next post you will see from me will Be a licensed user... Great program and forum..

In much appreciation,
Craig

Posted Sun 09 Apr 06 @ 7:19 pm
87%