Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Serato Scratch vs VDJ - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey Technical. Sorry you're so down on VDJ. That's too bad. I really like VDJ but I am going to start heavily using Serato as my primary system. Trust me, I am not switching because of peer pressure either. It doesn't really matter to me that every club I go to already has SSL in use (well not yet at least). I usually try to specifiy that I use my own system and plug into house sound anyway. So peer pressure wasn't the issue.

I was actually ready to deal with the poor sound quality of VDJ until it got fixed. I was on board, seriously. The thing that made me start looking elsewhere is when I saw these cracker jack features being added left and right, while serious issues seem to go ignored.

I'm not gonna pretend that I am an SSL expert or that I even have used the program long enough to form an opinion. I can tell you that I looked at the 1.5 beta and I studied the 1.4 -> 1.5 changelog carefully. I looked for any features or bugfixes that I would classify as cracker jack. I didn't see any. Look over the feature list. Anything you see there that wouldn't be classified as useful to working professional DJs? Maybe, but probably not.

There is no auto beatmixing, napster database or karaoke support. There is no software EQ, software crossfader or beat sync. The spinning wheels in SSL actually do something other than take up space and give you somewhere to scratch with a mouse. There is no broadcast features or features to record your mix and make a cd or whatever people use that for. SSL is actually a VERY simple program as far as I can see.

So for those of you who say it's apples and oranges, I agree. We shouldnt even be comparing the two. 1 program tries to do a whole bunch of stuff and be everything to everyone, while the other program tries to do a limited number of things but at the highest degree of quality and stability with the least amount of cruft and whistles.

But they both deserve to be compared since they are both DJ programs. I am a DJ. These are DJ programs. Any programs that claim to be professional DJ programs are worthy of comparison. So SSL and VDJ are worthy of comparison.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 7:30 am
Try this with VDJ. I just noticed that SSL runs fine at multiple resolutions. My new dell is a very high powered laptop with a HUGE display. This laptop runs 1900x1200 native on the super high output display. SSL seems to scale itself fine to the 1900x1200 display. Try that with VDJ.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:51 am
sorry to hear, and guess timecode vinyl/cd users have gotten a bit frustrated about the features added to Virtual DJ, while improvements to timecode as been delayed....

Thing is, that SSL and VDJ are not the same softwares at all... you can of course get the one you want, but SSL is hard-core timecode vinyls software, while Virtual DJ is aiming at being a software for more users than only timecode users....

Now, I perfectly understand that timecode users might gotten frustrated about for example video-mixing being added, while timecode still needed work.....

I can only assure you all that timecode will be worked on, same goes for timestrech and audio featueres.. Thats on the top of what-to-do list now for dev team.

Just please understand its all about marketing, positioning and strategy... and for Virtual DJ the competition was MixVibes, Traktor, PCDJ and a few otheres, where Virtual DJ needed to have same features and be working better. I really think Virtual DJ made that very well, and today is standing as a software that is quite a lot better than PCDJ, MixVibes etc.

Now, VDJ is not perfect yet, and the last part of the competition would be to make timecode work absolutely perfect, with killer audio features and quality.... in other words, the competition to SSL seems to be the only valid one now. I see at a alot of dj forums, the only 2 software that people think about getting is VDJ and SSL. So, VDJ still might need a little to match SSL (that has developed toward timecode vinyl users all this time), and I'm sure VDJ will pretty soon... .

I hope both Anewsome and Technical DJ will return to the forum every now and then.. you are both personalities here ;)

But any peer preasure is quite funny :) There are tens of tousands of users here using Virtual DJ that all seem very happy about features and development (after all, all features are asked for by our users)....
And no more than 5-10 users that have moved over to SSL... so no peer preasure Technical DJ... .:)
After all, please think about it... NOT ALL DJS ARE LIKE YOU :) not all users are all about vinyl use...

If you look around in the world, the dj's are interested in lots of things, and are all very different..
Most of our users are not interested in timecode, but rather a software to controll by midi or other remote contollers (dac etc), and many users here are interested in features such as video and more...
BUT YES, timecode need works, it needs attention NOW, and it will :)

Happy mixing you all, and happy new years:)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 11:53 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
***** begin quote *****

"DJing is more about performance now, it’s verging on a live show, and part of the progression towards that is moving further and further away from turntable technology and the idea of mechanically mixing two records together. We used to spend so much effort on getting records to stay in time with each other. But once you stop having to worry about that, you can really start thinking about what sounds work together, and you can get deeper into the structure of the mix.

Vinyl fundamentalists might regard this as heresy. The progressive people are thinking, if computer technologies automate one task, what can I now do better or what new task can I focus my attention on? What can I do now with the technology and how can I push in a new direction to further the experimentation and heighten the experience?"

Richie Hawtin, 2005

***** end quote *****

I come from a 12+ year vinyl (non-scratch) background, and Richie Hawtin expresses exactly what I feel.

If you're a scratch dj, by definition you can hardly "move further and further away from turntable technology" and SSL is likely your best choice, no hard-feelings.

But for the rest of us, no software matches VDJ. The open architecture allows for possibilities unseen anywhere else:

- I can define my own skins for my own resolutions with the exact layout and design I need.

- I don't have to use (and can inactivate) the bells and whistles if I choose to.

- I can write my own unique fx plugins, or use the hundreds available via download

- I can write highly personalized mappers for my controllers. For example with the hercules mk2, I wrote a plugin that will load the next track on the inactive deck, match its gain, go to cue point 1, start playing in a 4-loop, and sync with active deck. I then just have to spend a 1/2 second fine-tuning the beatmatch in my headphones, and then I can just hit PLAY to release my track at will. The time I free up by automating lenghthy manual and repetitive tasks, I can use to concentrate full time on the faders and knobs, giving my mix 99% of my attention span.

- I can use other people's amazing plugins. for exemple a couple of weeks ago we had a discussion about the adding events to cue points. djcel made it happen in a couple of weeks. I can now easily create edits of my tracks without even touching the mp3 file. I can set a cue point before a cheesy break and tell it to skip 64 beats over the break, then go into an infinite 16-loop a little before the end of the track to let me be as creative as I want. ama-f*cking-zing!

- the sound quality can be tailored to your needs. For best results, one just has to know to disable timestretch and limiter and to autogain on -3db

I'm open to other solutions. I regularly check new versions of others. I liked the new Traktor 3 demo for exemple, and Traktor's software EQs and FXs are amazing (hopefully VDJ will catch on in this domain), but it just doesn't fit my needs the way VDJ does...

my two centimes d'euros,

Nicolas

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 12:34 pm
Very well said djbambi. Exactly the point....

Last year was the best year ever for VirtualDJ, and customers are coming by the numbers.. Its not at all a sinking Titanic, Technical DJ ;) Virtual DJ is more popular than ever BECAUSE if its new features, and not despite it. They where added for several reasons, such as adding features asked for by Virtual DJ users (ALL features added have been asked for, PLEASE take not of that.. not all users are only interested in timecode),and also because of marketing position and strategy....

yes, timecode needs work, but VDJ is not the hard-core for-vinyl-users-only software, and have never been :) It still needs work on that side of things, and it will come for sure... .

Dev team aim to make all happy, and in the process of doing so (because development takes time, and must be done in order), some features have been delayed to the frustration of some. I can understand that...

Timecode is on the top of what-to-do list, and it will be worked on ;)

But Virtual DJ is by far very successful right now, it has killer features and is far from any Titanic :) And its far for any peer-pressure that it does seem a couple of users got impatient and left for SSL. There are several thousand users coming by the month, and popularity is growing...

VDJ vs SSL is a valid discussion for the pure turntablist, and I'm sure VDJ will take that seriously. Although it has taken some time

regards

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 1:09 pm
Technical,

I haven't gotten soft yet. I have tried SSL and do love the feel and sound. Its the closest thing available at the moment. Budget wise....SSL is going to have to wait although I will definatelly buy it.

I'll still keep VDJ and use it from time to time to do some basic mixing and such but when the time comes for any scratching it will be SSL for sure.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 2:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
SSL is about the blandest DJ software since PCDJ, what it does it does well which is not alot. I'd rather carry MP3 CD's than a laptop+SSL, waste of time and money!.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 3:05 pm
Bagbuss you do have a point. SSL is just a basic software that lets you emulate your vinyl and it does it very well.

When it comes to doing mobile DJ work I would have to say that the less you carry the better it is. So instead of carrying approx 10 crates of vinyl to each gig I can carry a laptop or desktop PC and have even more songs then I can carry in 10 crates is a pretty nice trade. This is pretty much all I was looking for when I purchased VDJ. I wasn't looking for any of the bells and whistles it offers although I must say that these new features are quite nice to use especially if I get a video party.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 3:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Some interesting points by DjBambi and ...Richie Hawtin. (welcome Ritchie...)
and then my comments/way of thinking and working:

quotes:
"If you're a scratch dj, by definition you can hardly "move further and further away from turntable technology" and SSL is likely your best choice, no hard-feeling
But for the rest of us, no software matches VDJ. The open architecture allows for possibilities unseen anywhere else"

"The progressive people are thinking, if computer technologies automate one task, what can I now do better or what new task can I focus my attention on? What can I do now with the technology and how can I push in a new direction to further the experimentation and heighten the experience?"

Well, speaking for myself, i'm both:
1. Vinyl/scratch dj due to my background in DMC scratch competitions where i had good places (and one participation in the european Dmc)
2. progressive thinking dj looking always at new technologies,
well... not so new btw, i used digital sources like samplers from 1987.
Whats new? you can do these with less staff and money.
How is possible to combine these ? it is natural for me.
The same for Richie Hawtin i'm sure,
I WISH i had his success to do this exactly what i want to a large crowd without to sacrifice anything.
He uses SSL and Ableton Live at the same time (2 mac laptops)
For now, this combination gives the best of two worlds.
The two systems are in sync and all are well prepared to be perfect in every detail.
BUT, to prepare a perfect dj set using this equipment need MONTHS, and you must paid like Richie or Sasha to do that, and play the same set in different places like a "superstar" dj does or a band in a tour/concert.

At the other hand i (and most of you i think) am a working dj (6 days a week), play different sets every night, need a simple but powerful file management/search, and at the same time i want to be creative and one step forward compared to other dj's in my area.
The only program can give me all that for live everyday use is virtual dj.
It's not perfect yet but it's worked on.
In the studio for my productions where i can spend more time i use 2 others programs:
Mixvibes Dvs for scratches, because for now it has better vinyl emulation and it is cheaper than ssl... and Ableton Live for remixes.
The good news are that TCV/Sound issues are now in first priority for Vdj team and i really have faith on these guys.
If you search the forum you'll see i was maybe the first person here asked for TCV support and the first to report issues with it more than one year ago...
Also like anewsome i didn't like these latest "bells and whistles" additions but i can understand the marketing reasons. And i'm not talking about Video, it was a smart move for sure.
After all we do this conversation to make clear to the team what is really important and what is not and help them to choose right for the future of virtual dj.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:15 pm
djbambi, have you ever used SSL?

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:35 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Nope, unfortunately no demo version available (nor even possible, given that you need dedicated hardware). But as I said, not being a scratch dj, SSL's on-paper appeal is limited compared to products like VDJ, Traktor, mixVibes, etc.

I just don't use TCVs. I bought one to try it out (hence the logo) and played with it for a while, but it now sits unused. Also, I'm almost done going through my 5000+ vinyl tracks and converting what's worth it to mp3...

My turntable days are counted :) Thanks to Atomix, Eks, Hercules, etc. this should be a clean closure.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 5:19 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I guess I'll be making the transition in the next month to SSL until VDJ makes further developments to TCV & TCCD. I'll for sure check the updates awaiting the fix I'm sure most hip hop users will appreciate.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:47 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
djbambi ' - I don't have to use (and can inactivate) the bells and whistles if I choose to.'

how can you deacitvate some part of VDJ they are allways loaded and allways take up space in the core of the program,and hence RAM on your system. if there is a way i would love to know about how to get rid of some of the useless features i dont want compromising the ones i care about.

anewsome - 'Picture this. If even if you are 3 minutes into the timecode. Load up a track and play it. Now grab the turntable and pull back to the start of the track. Pull back half a turn even more. Now when you let go of the platter, the timecode will spin a half turn before the mp3 starts playing.'

erm, duh, where would you expect the start of the song to be if you went back half a turn? this is exactly what allows you to scratch on the first beat because the first beat doesnt move. i realy dont get how this stops you scratching cause what normaly happens when you;

start on a beat
move the vinyl 1 turn
move the vinyl back exactly 1 turn

it will be under the needle, this is the same with analouge vinyl. do you wish it moved the start of the song back as far as you move the disk back so there is no travel before the first beat, ever? i just plain dont get it????

if anyone wants to post me 420 UK Pounds i will buy SSL (sounds familiar lol) but otherwise i cant afford it. mabey i should go and check it out and my life will change but im not a pro dj, im a student so a few pops per hour i can live with if its going to cost a reasonable amount, and have the most extensive feature list on the market, even if they are 'jack of all trades, master of none' affairs.

anyway peace out! hope they sort out the MAIN isues in the next update!

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 12:43 am
313ctroHome userMember since 2005
I think TechnicalDJ hit the head on the nail. But I don't even consider VDJ to be SSL's biggest competition, it's not even in the same leauge. SSL's only competition is Final Scratch 2. And FS2 is losing more people everyday to SSL also. The way I see it, VDJ's competion is djDecks, Mixvibes DVS, PCDJ, and Traktor (not FS2), basicly the "soundcard" only programs that don't have a dedicated interface.

And for the record, SSL doesn't use a scratchamp, FS does. That's insulting. It's called the SL1 or simply the black box. SSL doesn't use timecode either, it uses a noisemap, which is similar to timecode, but more robust and sophisticated.

But when it comes down to it, if you want the damn best vinyl replication software with superb sound, latency, support and rock solid stability, SSL is for you. If you want an all around dj software with loads of features and options and configuration setups/controllers, then VDJ is for you.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 12:59 am
"......get rid of some of the useless features....."

You can all bash dev team all you want, they are strong and can take it ;) hehe.. And all the good feedback from other users compensate well for the few complaints..

BUT, naming features added for "useless", "crap", "toys" etc just kinda pisses me off at least!
Throw all the dirt you want Xeo and others I won't mention that used the other words..
But you know you're not really throwing dirt at Dev Team, but at your fellow users and dj's here at this very forum! and thats just being damn stupid....

ALL FEATURES EVER ADDED ARE ASKED FOR BY USERS

Just because say you think karaoke for example is useless, than bashing it is just stupid!
Gotta go with Bambi, just dont use it... it doesnt take any ram worth mentioning, and you know that very well...

What you are really doing is putting down the users that want, say.. karaoke!

In fact, one of the very very top club dj's in my town - the very very best dj we have here in my town, does karaoke on a weekday...
Not because he's a bad dj, because is for sure not! every weekend he's the best there is!!
But he lives for djing, and doesn't care to much about getting a regular job during the week... so he has some fun doing some karaoke djing for money on the side...

Well... useless features in your eyes, but all asked for... So they are NOT useless for all, and a little respect out of the users who asked for them, and Dev Team that gave it to them all for free (compared to other soft that charge for new feature updates..)

Go nuts, bash video, bash karaoke, bash all other features.... all other than timecode!

sure timecode needs work, but being this negative about all other features that you all got for free is silly... most of all because your fellow dj friends here at this forum asked for it...

But hey... I guess we cant win them all, there will always be the few ones....

And when timecode is fixed along with the new sound engine coming up... there will probably still be a few... But as long as thousands of users are happy, and VDJ for sure is the nr1 DJ software according to numbers, I'm for sure happy... .:)

Happy mixing, happy new years... and the few of you that are going to SSL... good luck :)

Rune

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:09 am
so basicly 313ctro wishes she could afford SSL

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:09 am
every word that comes out of a persons mouth, unless quotation, is an oppinion. karaoke IS usless to me because im not a working karaoke DJ. im not saying noone should have karaoke etc im saying its useless for me and if i had a way to remove things like it that i dont use from the program stack i would like it. i dont think its 'crap' 'toylike' i just think its uselss, and it is. someone else wont think the same, and im not asking them to.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:14 am
norway, i am usually on your side but I am going to have to disagree here for once. useless features are a problem, unless you want to take the time and create your own skin that doesn't have the features. removing the keyboard shortcuts is easy as pie and takes a few seconds. but removing the beatlock and automixing, or software EQ or crossfaders that get activated by mistake when they get clicked by the mouse is a pain. if i don't want or need a software crossfader, but i do need cue points, then i guess i am stuck until i make my own skin right?

i've been at a gig, and i've activated some of those hundreds of little knobs and buttons with varying results on the sound. sometimes it takes a second to realize what i just hit by accident. i am very careful when i touch my trackpad but removing those features would be the best thing, just that there is no easy way to do it without being a skin developer.

i should take a suvey though and see just how useful the spinning faux records are. i mean, other than the budding mouse scratch artists of late, i don't see a whole lot of use for those spinning records.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:40 am
you can always make your own skin, correct :)
Or you can use for example the Mixstation skins, where there is a pannel to remove the crossfader and more, and there is even a few "timecode skins" where they are not there..

So, yes, they can be removed by having a "pro" skin ... and I agree... there should be more "pro" skins for all using external mixers, and skins not having all "features" available in skin...
Hopefully this will be made both officially, and from users...

But its all a skin issue never the less, and I agree that more "pro" skins are wanted...
But there are SOME already, such as the "timecode" skins and a few others...

And maybe more to come too, hopefully even an official pro-skin... been mentioned for Dev team as you know :)

You might like this one :

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/skin.html?id=1275

No extra features, and looks like something else... hehe ;) just kidding

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 1:50 am
norway, i've tried a couple of those tcv skins but they didn't have cue indicators. that is a feature i like on the mixstation skins. i like to know how long before my cue points are coming up.

and one more point about all the extra features. something in the software world we call "bloat" and feature creep. i looked at the min system requirements for ssl and i thought they could not be serious. so i put it to the test. i loaded ssl on my celeron 700Mhz, 256MB of ram and did some mixing. not a single glitch and scratching was smooth and trouble free. anyone who has tried vdj on a laptop of those specs would tell you it's not really usable at all.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 06 @ 2:24 am
74%