Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: sampler on a specific deck
If I put the sampler_play calls inside a <deck deck="6"> container, do I still need to specify in every sample button "deck 6 sampler_output" ? I'm trying to avoid trouble (one sample cutting off another) by separating the samples that could be played simultaneously to different decks...

By putting the sampler output through a deck, I also can have pfl and a volume slider for the sampler. Or is this outdated and can the sampler have pfl and a volume slider now?

This is what I have:
<deck deck="6">
<button action="holding ? sampler_play 'Audio/Carhorn.mp3' ? sampler_stop : nothing : deck 6 sampler_output & sampler_play_stutter 'Audio/Carhorn.mp3'">
</deck>

If I'm going about this in an unnecessary difficult way, please feel free to correct my vdjscripting...

Posted Wed 04 Sep 24 @ 6:31 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Better avoid routing to Decks.
What is your Audio Setup ? Master & Headphones or Ext Mixer type (deck 1, deck 2 etc) ?

sampler_volume_master is adjusting the Master Output Vol of Sampler

setting 'samplerHeadphones' turns Sampler On/Off to Headphones (Sampler PFL)

So with Sampler Vol Master to zero, and the Setting to Yes, triggering a Sample will output to your Headphones but not to Master.

To stop another Sample when trigger the next, you need to put those into the same Sampler Group https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/editors/sampleeditor.html

Posted Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 8:27 am
Thank you @DJDad for your info!

I'd already read the page you linked to. But I didn't know about the pfl possibility with the setting verb. So I'll not route the sampler over a deck then. Still, what I'm wondering is, where the sampler's output is going? If I don't specify a deck, I mean.

I use groups in my new skin, but I hadn't thought about the grouping possibility to separate samples. Great tip! Thanks.

My audio setup is master and headphones for the outputs and line in (wireless mic) for the input. I have an external soundcard (ESI U24 XL).

Posted Thu 05 Sep 24 @ 12:17 pm
In the end I've assigned deck 6 to the sampler, not only to control volume and pfl, but also to be able to apply effects to the sound samples...

There's no need to specify a deck when using the "sampler_play" command because I've put "deck 6 sampler_output" in the onload (oninit) section. This was necessary because for some odd reason the sampler output settings in VDJ defaults to deck 1 for the sampler output each time I start the program...

Though, curiously, in the settings.xml it says: <samplerOutputDeck modified="yes">6</samplerOutputDeck>
Maybe it's a bug in the settings window to always show "1"?

Posted 5 days ago @ 8:57 pm