Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Midi fighter series mapping (Twister,3D)
With all the extensive controllers and options, I was extremely surprised to see that the midi fighter series are not even supported by vdj? It is amazing you can still go in and program it yourself, but Im not one of the tech savvy ppl out there that find this easy. On top of trying to figure out dmx control, running my own business and catering to my customers, I just don't have the knowledge,time,or energy to sit and try to understand the complexity of the VDJ code.. maybe I'm lazy, but honestly just don't want to keep getting burnt out while trying to enjoy my craft.

I've seen alot of people asking for this, and it would be sweet icing on the already exquisite vdj cake. I've used djuced, Serato,djay pro,and a few other softwares but VDJ IS THE BEST! I've noticed that some people will tell you what to write as your code, but couldn't you take the time to just create it for all?

There are about 3 downloadable extensions for the 3D and one for the twister from years ago, but none compare to what they can do now with all these new decks out.

In the simplest way that I can explain, the 3d would be great for using as the sampler, to connect all buttons and banks to the 64 grid sampler. Using the side buttons as toggle for scrolling through your sample presets, and maybe even a tilt filter or echo on the x and y?

As for the twister, yea it's neat you can map stems, but really seems to not be utilizing it to the full potential. What about like the post below on the twister, where each knob has a different effect, and the bottom row effects that whole row?

This would be an amazing fun versatile and creative way to enjoy my Hercules inpulse 500 without trying to select different options in the board itself, and taking away time and clarity from my mix.

On the fly controls for effects would be such a game changer with the twister, and the sample activation from the 3d (instead of my squishy launchpad buttons) would really hone in on the control and precision.

Thank you VDJ team and all members for taking time to read this!! It's like cooking. You really want a noob to create you a dish, possibly do it wrong or have it be a disaster? Or have a seasoned veteran whip it up within 20mins for all?

Posted Fri 11 Mar 22 @ 2:48 pm
Currently still prowling for videos and ways to easily set it up, but still seems too far for me to grasp the concept of coding this to its potential.. Theres alot of forums, videos and people mentioning its huge capabilities, along with functions but its extremely cumbersome trying to figure this out with the vast options included within each encoder/knob. My own fault for buying an expensive piece of equipment and expecting it to be an easy experience. For now its a beautiful paperweight along with the midi fighter 3D ^.^'

Only upside to Algoriddims DjPro is i had my 3D mapped within 15 mins the way I needed it to be with tier midi learn feature... Any plans for that?

Posted Sat 12 Mar 22 @ 9:43 pm
With devices like the Twister or 3D, which are just a bunch of unlabelled knobs or buttons, every user is going to want their device mapped differently - so it's not practical to offer a native mapping, because it's impossible to map it to suit everyone.

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 8:54 am
I get that but when its not a difficult task for someone whos been mapping and understanding script for so long, would'nt it be easy to start building the blocks now? That's like saying the whole extensions page isn't necessary..

Id gladly paypal someone to set it up for me. I'm sure others would happily download any other maps for it, that's why I'm not the only one asking respectively.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 10:13 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
well both devices have definitions available to dl, so all you're asking for is; how to script.
I've covered the from basics up, in the script school thread. But if you want it done for you I do that kind of thing.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 10:42 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
We are in contact with DJTechTools and they were kind to provide sample devices and assistance for Midi Fighter 3D, Twister and 64, so official support in VirtualDJ will come at some point in the near future.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 11:09 pm
All of you are incredible and quick to get back to me! Ive been scrolling through the script school, but still cant get the midi controller to have a specific effect on that knob independently. Ive gotten as far as getting a knob on the twister to activate the effect on my decks control(as if it were the decks knob, not its own midi controllers knob) but cant seem to get it to be that effect on that knob. Ive gotten paramater control ok with the +50-50. I was trying to get each knob (12) to be an independant effect, and use the control & for the bottom knob of each column to grab all 3 and effect.

THANK YOU very much once again for all responses. This will make the software even more versatile and fun!! Finger drums or sampler options on the 3D, effects and stems on the twister, friggin dream come true!! ....once i get this down lol

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 3:09 am
locodog wrote :
well both devices have definitions available to dl, so all you're asking for is; how to script.
I've covered the from basics up, in the script school thread. But if you want it done for you I do that kind of thing.

Hey im down! i havent exactly thought farther than using it for fx and stems, but cant think of anything offhand id need it to do unless your technical wizardry could! I love some of the extensions that have been made for the hercules inpulse 500, and these 2 babys would let me control everything on the fly without having to change my decks controls to be something else.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 4:24 am
I FIGURED IT OUT!! -Somewhat. Its still activating the decks filter for the controls, but i just got the individual knobs to set as individual fx, and be dedicated to them. Thank you all for the help, ill keep tinkering!

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 4:57 am
Well got excited too fast... Yes, im activating the parameters and getting them set individually, until i got to deck 2. Everything is saving to deck one, and im selecting the deck 2 option, but when selecting one of the drop down options for what deck it sticks it on ALL of the maps.. I put a beat grid on a knob but cant seem to get it to deactivate when clicking the encoder with effect_active 0.. Been up almost all night messing with this...gah

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 2:57 pm
if no deck is specified, like

effect_slider 'echo' 1

there are a couple of possibilities.
1 the dial itself is linked to a deck in the definition file, it will effect the deck specified in the def file
2 it will act on the 'selected deck', usually the last loaded deck, but you can select decks at will [deck 2 select, deck left select etc etc]

to act upon a specific deck, specify the deck

deck 2 effect_slider 'echo' 1

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 3:10 pm
locodog wrote :
if no deck is specified, like

effect_slider 'echo' 1

there are a couple of possibilities.
1 the dial itself is linked to a deck in the definition file, it will effect the deck specified in the def file
2 it will act on the 'selected deck', usually the last loaded deck, but you can select decks at will [deck 2 select, deck left select etc etc]

to act upon a specific deck, specify the deck

deck 2 effect_slider 'echo' 1

Ill try it out, you are a god send my friend! Its like trying to tell a small child what to do, but im the small child being incomprehensive lol

Ok, so heres knob 2 - deck 1 filter_selectcolorfx distortion & filter but its selecting the colorfx pack i downloaded, and effecting the filter knob on the decks effect, (which is fine and working!!) but as you put above, and in your script school, i want the effect to activate i guess behind the scenes and not the decks controller itself, but just to have that specific effect on the twisters knob.

Or another instance, this unlocks so much more potential for fx (and combos but i dare not try till i get this down) there are 16 knobs on one bank, id love to link all effects possible (maybe even the extra downloaded ones if thats possible too) I seem to be able to do all this with the basics like cut,distortion,echo,noise,spiral,pitch,reverb,and vocals. But i cant seem to get any other effects working properly, like dump, beatgrid, loop roll,etc.

I got the beatgrid working on the knob (Slider13- filter_selectcolorfx 'beat grid' & filter Jog13- deck 1 filter_selectcolorfx beat grid) but when i click the knob it only resets to the grid 1 and doesnt turn off. I tried to tell it Effect_activate 0 on its encoder setting(the click) but doesnt trigger it. As for dump, it activates, but the filter is blanked out and is full 0% or full 100%.

Im really sorry to keep being so needy

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 4:38 pm
I do wince a little when I see multi-paragraph replies for people just starting to script.

the twisters encoders have a button, they could do the effect_active, but maybe you don't want that, so think about this

effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0.0 ? effect_active 'filter hp' off : effect_active 'filter hp' on

do you follow what's going on there?

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 5:35 pm
locodog wrote :
I do wince a little when I see multi-paragraph replies for people just starting to script.

the twisters encoders have a button, they could do the effect_active, but maybe you don't want that, so think about this

effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 & effect_slider 'filter hp' 1 0.0 ? effect_active 'filter hp' off : effect_active 'filter hp' on

do you follow what's going on there?

so the effects highpass filter on slot 1 and high pass set to 0 (variable) activates effect on and off i think? Also your totally right, i humbly appreciate your time and responses! I have a few things coming up and this is just gonna make it all such a breeze. I eagerly await vdj's integration with these fun items, and see what will be unlocked while i tinker.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 5:54 pm
no slot at all, the 1 is the slider number not the slot number.
You don't need a slot number when you call by name.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 6:13 pm
locodog wrote :
no slot at all, the 1 is the slider number not the slot number.
You don't need a slot number when you call by name.

still trying to make sure i understand it, but i need to go back to the script school and understand a little more. I did copy paste that on to the encoder but it didnt seem to affect it. Maybe due to me mapping the effect through the colorfx instead if just effect, but havnt been able to get the individual twisters with individual fx to activate any other way yet (due to my lack of script knowledge so far)

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 8:46 pm
what values is the dial spitting out? 0.0-1.0, -1/+1, +63/+65,
it all matters on how the def file has the dial defined [absolute, relative]

Posted Thu 17 Mar 22 @ 8:53 pm
I see, depending on the parameters defines the value of said fx when set in the chain of commands properly. Still learning more, had a friend come by to help make better sense of it (since hes the more techy one) Were seeming to get there slowly,but still a lil rough. Thanks for the help! Only real issue i have now is being ale to turn off the effect when clicking the knob in. I cant seem to figure that code out, or it wont let one function on the slider activate over the same knobs jog function, it just cancels each otherout..

Heres the code i have for one knob selecting the parameter and the effect, but some effects stay on even at 0, so i just need the code to deactivate effect when i click it. here the code im using that working for my needs

effect_slider 1 1 & effect_active 1 rmx-echocrush 1
whats missing if you dont mind

Posted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 5:47 pm
effect_active 0

that was all i was missing... man its so difficult yet so "easy" lol

Posted Fri 18 Mar 22 @ 6:52 pm
Not sure if its helpful to anyone else trying to do the same, but heres the script that works for me for now. I am not that great at it yet but got it up enough to play with till vdj integrates some maps from dj tech tools! Thanks all who have taken the time to give me info.

second page-
All slider 0's, 16-31
deck 1 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_active 1 rmx-echo 1
deck 1 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_active 1 rmx-echocrush 1
deck 1 effect_slider 1 1 & effect_active 1 delay 1
deck 1 effect_slider 1 2 & effect_slider 3 2
deck 1 effect_slider 2 1 & effect_active 2 flanger 1
deck 1 effect_slider 2 1 & effect_active 2 phaser 1
deck 1 effect_slider 2 1 & effect_active 2 spacejet 1
deck 1 effect_slider 2 2 & effect_slider 4 2
deck 1 effect_slider 3 1 & effect_active 3 wahwah8 1
deck 1 effect_slider 3 1 & effect_active 3 ladderfilter 1