Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: PFL Behaving Strangely?
sdruss83ControlleristMember since 2020
I have a DDJ-SB3, and I'm coming from Serato. The headphone cue (PFL) in VDJ is behaving much differently than it did in Serato. I do most of my mixing solely in headphones, so here is what I want to happen:

(If you aren't aware, the SB3 has buttons, not dials, for PFL - Master, Deck 1, and Deck 2)

What I want for the master button is simple. On = I can hear the master audio in my headphones. Off = I hear nothing (assuming deck cues are not on). If master is on, and I activate a deck cue/pfl, soften the master volume so I can hear the deck cue over it.

What VDJ is doing is bizarre. And honestly it seems to be behaving inconsistently as far as the buttons being illuminated. I am just so confused. Can anyone just help me reproduce the way it worked in Serato? The closest thing I found was the splitHeadphones option, but even that isn't doing what I want.

So far I'm loving the customizability of VDJ but I honestly can't mix like at all with it (since I'm mixing all in headphones). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 2:37 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
So, how does it behave in VirtualDJ ?

One thing i can see from mapping, is that when you enable the MASTER PFL, it just sends the Master in Headphones. It's mapped as ..
headphone_mix 100% ? headphone_mix 0% : headphone_mix 100%
(toggles between Cue mix Master and Cue Mix PFL.)

but if you want 50-50 (so reduce Master PFL at half and add Deck PFL) , you can change to ..
headphone_mix 50% ? headphone_mix 0% : headphone_mix 50%

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 9:02 am
djdad wrote :
So, how does it behave in VirtualDJ ?

One thing i can see from mapping, is that when you enable the MASTER PFL, it just sends the Master in Headphones. It's mapped as ..
headphone_mix 100% ? headphone_mix 0% : headphone_mix 100%
(toggles between Cue mix Master and Cue Mix PFL.)

but if you want 50-50 (so reduce Master PFL at half and add Deck PFL) , you can change to ..
headphone_mix 50% ? headphone_mix 0% : headphone_mix 50%

In VDJ, if the master button is on and deck 1 PFL is on (or off even), I can't hear deck 1 in my headphones with the fader down. The master needs to be OFF, and the deck 1 cue ON, in order for me to hear deck 1 with the fader down. But then I cant hear the master so I can't beatmatch or anything.

What I like to do is keep the master ON pretty much all the time, but if I cue either deck PFL, lower the volume of the master in my headphones so I can hear the cue'd deck over the master. Your suggestion for changing the masterPFL setting seems really close to a solution but not quite there.

I guess a better place to start would be this: how can I hear the master AND the cue'd deck (with fader down) in my headphones at the same time? I can worry about the levels after getting the most important part figured out lol.

Thanks!

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 4:35 pm
Your choice of controller is missing one important knob which exists on most others (and on the VDJ skin) - that's a headphone mix control, which allows you to mix together the cue and master signal, so you can decide how much you want of each in the headphones.

In theory you could use the one on the VDJ skin...

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 4:45 pm
groovindj wrote :
Your choice of controller is missing one important knob which exists on most others (and on the VDJ skin) - that's a headphone mix control, which allows you to mix together the cue and master signal, so you can decide how much you want of each in the headphones.

In theory you could use the one on the VDJ skin...

Hmm ok I found the mix knob on the VDJ skin. Can I simply map an unused dial on my controller to that? For example I don't use my "browse" dial, can I make that control the headphone mix dial?

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:28 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
wow, that's a pretty big dial to give up but

change the script to
headphone_mix

Posted Tue 01 Jun 21 @ 5:36 pm