Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Master deck & Ableton Link
Hi everyone,
I was doing some tests with Virtual DJ, Ableton Link positioned as master effect and Ableton 10. I state that by opening the edit of the master effect the "master" button is active.

If I put a song in deck 1 I send it to play and adjust the pitch, on Ableton the tempo changes accordingly. If I load a song of deck 2, I play it and put deck 1 to stop, moving the pitch of deck 2 on Ableton nothing happens, the time remains at the value of deck 1. If I turn off and on Ableton Link in the master effect, moving the pitch of deck 2 also on Ableton changes the tempo and this turn on / off master effect I have to repeat it every time I change deck.

Shouldn't Ableton with Ableton Link activated automatically follow the pitch of the deck that is currently masterdeck? If I'm not mistaken a few months ago using it worked correctly.

Thanks to who can give me an answer

Posted Fri 29 Jan 21 @ 12:21 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Are you sure Deck 2 was set as Master ?
Try to assign a Custom button as .. masterdeck .. (will auto-create the same button on both sides - at least on Default skin) and see if the Master changes automatically.

Also, perhaps the "Master" FX button needs to be enabled in Master FX GUI..

Posted Fri 29 Jan 21 @ 8:56 pm
Thank you for your answer.
i the master button in the effect is activated, as I wrote in my post, while the master deck is set to automatic so it activates directly to the deck in play, the configuration is correct. I have read other posts from past years and saw some forum users asking the same thing as I did, some replies were that Ableton Link was not developed to work this way and sadly it seems a shame and a limitation to me. I've read about who uses it by putting it in the effect slots or in the custom buttons, so that activating one for each deck on Ableton works. Unfortunately, in doing so, the Pitch of the readers also move at the same time, always remaining synchronized and this is not the use I would like to have.
I thought that a solution could be to map the activation of the master effect to the start / stop buttons of the controller, or to the movement of the pitch in order to be activated / deactivated every time you change deck, I'll do a test as soon as possible.
Do you think there is any other solution? Or maybe the possibility that it might work this way in the future?

Thanks again

Posted Sat 30 Jan 21 @ 12:16 am
Nothing to do, I tried mapping the activation of Ableton Link in the ways I listed above but unfortunately the use becomes very random, especially if added to play / stop, if instead I map it to make it always stay on the same operation occurs as when active in the master effect, it does not affect Ableton's bpm, which deck play button was pressed last.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 21 @ 12:24 pm
I'm having the same issue, did you get this sorted?

Posted Sun 11 Jul 21 @ 3:37 pm