Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Mapping: encoder moves too fast (Akai APC20) for scrolling properly

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I learned a lot by reading documents on the VDJ website and here on this forum regarding mapping and scripting , but I run into a problem that I can’t figure out, perhaps is there somebody who has a solution:

I have remapped my Akai APC20 to use with the sampler, all works fine and as expected except for the only endless encoder on the controller (cue level) which I have remapped to select the default sample. My plan is to select it with this knob, which goes faster scrolling through the samples than an up and down button. As said it works, but already slightly turning the encoder the scrolling goes way too fast and it is hard to select the right sample.

I have tried both sampler_select and param_bigger 50% ? sampler_select +1 : sampler_select -1.

My question is, is there a way to reduce the encoder movement by script? (as the resolution of the encoder and the way it sends midi data is restricted.)

Posted Tue 12 Jan 21 @ 8:17 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
How many Samples are in that Bank ?

just sampler_select should work fine.

Or ... param_bigger 0 ? sampler_select +1 : sampler_select -1

What if you assign it as .. browser_scroll ? Does it work as expected, selecting next/previous per click or still too fast ?

If you still get fast scrolling, it may be the resolution of the encoder which doesnt provide proper values per click/step. You can check with MIDIOX (for Windows) and see what data you get. For smooth scrolling, each time you goto next "click" you should get the next/previous hex value. Or doesnt have "clicks" and moves like a round knob ?

Posted Wed 13 Jan 21 @ 8:35 am
Hi DJ Dad, thanks for your reply.

To answer your first question, it doesn't matter if I have a full set of 40 samples (max number of pads on the APC20) or just 5, the scrolling speed stays the same.

I just tried your suggestions: mapping the encoder as browser_scroll results in a comparable speed of scrolling as through the samples, so I monitored the midi-data with MidiOX and indeed it must be the resolution of the endless encoder: turning it only a millimeter changes the midi-command instantly. It's an encoder without "clicks" which is originally supposed to be mapped for a volume-pot, so when it's mapped to for instance headphone_volume it works well, although faster than usual pots on a controller. I have tried a NI Traktor F1 (clicking) encoder to compare the speed of the sample selections and the F1 works flawless (every click selects a next sample).

Concluding, it is the resolution of the APC encoder which causes the issue, however I was wondering if the encoder could be "tricked" by the software to skip 2 or 3 data-steps each turn, to make sort of speech the software response less active...

Anyway, if not possible, I can live with it (we strive for 100%, whille 99,9% works fine too)

Thanks DJ Dad, keep up the good work ;-)

Posted Wed 13 Jan 21 @ 11:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)