Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Denon Prime 4 Virtual Dj Support - Page: 20

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey, do you have any support messages for the prime 4 screen?

Posted Fri 17 Jul 20 @ 8:44 pm
@groovindj

sometimes, its the dot on "i" that will change everything. Every DJ program has a play button and will work well. The small things are the reason for a special decision and why someone is choosing plan A. If the small thing is not working well, plan B will win, and this can be a completeley different direction.

As example: Pioneer agains Denon. Pioneer has plastic hardware and since years the same old 7" touchscreen. Denon hardware is better, full metal and the biggest multitouch screen, it has also a SSD drive bay. Great! But: The Engine Prime software is crap. It doesnt have intelligent Playlists. So, Pioneer will win.

Posted Fri 17 Jul 20 @ 10:13 pm
Not really necessary to have intelligent playlists. The DJ needs to be intelligent, not the software.

I am capable of DJing without needing playlists - of any kind.

As long as Engine Prime does the job of creating the database, the basics are covered. Everything else is just the sugar coating on top.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 6:44 am
The intelligent playlist ist not "intelligent", Pioneer has just named it so. Its just a playlist based on a filter. VDJ has Filters and can show it as a list (left of the browser). Denon has filters, but not as a list, so if you want filter by a special BPM, you need to set it up. If you want filter by a color, you need to change the existing BPM filter, if you want filter back to BPM, you need to change it again, you cannot store them as a ready list (or preset). Fail.

Maybe "especially" you do not need any playlist and you can use every software or hardware that you want, but 90% of all MP3 DJs need Playlists or filters or any type of organization. Vinyl DJs have simple crates, but wedding DJs need a lot of different Categories and much more songs like a DJ with a single special Genre, like a Hip Hop DJ. Songs, that will not be touched 10 Years, but the need to be there, just in case, if the wedding pair wants it. And if a software will not provide all the small things (wich are not neccessary), then it has lost 90% (mentioned above) of the customers. So, if a software is able to serve all the wishes from all the different DJs, then it will be successfull. One DJ wishes playlist based on filters, another DJ does not. Another DJ wishes ability to edit the MP3 Tags (you cannot do this in Denon Engine Prime - fail), next DJ wishes to use a laptop with a standalone controller - normally not neccessary, but this is just as backup, if the laptop crashes, next DJ wishes DVS, not neccessary, because every Software has a play/cue button. Next DJ wishes customized Skins, not neccessary, because the software works with one single skin, too. Next one wants action pads and custom buttons. Nothing of all is neccessary, if you use a.e. vinyls. But then, there is no reason for the software to exists anymore. Its a business, serve as many wishes as possible and you will survive in this business.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 9:26 am
Yes I know what is meant by an intelligent or smart playlist (or filter folder in VDJ).

It would be nice to have them in Engine Prime, but it's not essential.

VDJ Monty wrote :
edit the MP3 Tags (you cannot do this in Denon Engine Prime - fail)

Yes you can. I have done it many times.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 9:35 am
I cannot click (or right click) in engine prime to the songs and edit the MP3 tags. You can write something into the row directly. But, if the column will not be shown on the browser, then you cannot. You have to enable all columns, edit them and disable them again. And you cannot change the text at multiple rows. If you want rename all MP3 Tags from Chill to Lounge, you have to edit every single row. 10000 of them. You need help from another MP3 editor software. But, if you change some ID3 tags here and there in single subfolders. You cannot see the changes at the Prime Engine. You need to remember every single song that you have changed and need to reload the tags of them in the Prime Engine. Or you need to reload all of them and this takes a very long time. Also the rating will not be read from the ID3 tags. So i need to rate 70000 songs again. I know its not neccessary, I can also work without ratings. I have 70000 songs in my head.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:06 am
1) Latest version of Engine Prime (v1.5)
2) Page 13 of the manual

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:19 am
ive made a big edit to the previous post.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:30 am
found the manual, im checking....

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:34 am
User Guide...

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:40 am
yes, page 34, as i said. You can just do some single edits, if the column is visible. Anyway, with this type of managing the songs, Denon will never win against Pioneer.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:44 am
VDJ Monty wrote :
You can just do some single edits

No - you can edit multiple tracks at once. I've done it, I know it works.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:46 am
Ive tried it. Impossible. The users manual says the same. If yes, show me this undocumented trick.

You can just change the rating for multiple tracks. Nothing else. And they are not read out from ID3.

This is just the single dot on "i". Show me how to transfer a big database from Virtual DJ to Prime Engine. And after several days of migration work (and still without cue points), show me how to update the databse, if you have made some single changes in Virtual DJ.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 10:54 am

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 11:06 am
Wow, batch editing. This will help a lot. But, without documentation this is worth: nothing. Just some people will find this video.

> Engine prime cannot import a VDJ database.
It cannot import the database, it cannot import m3u8 playlists. It cannot import existing subfolders on the hard drive. Nothing. I need to touch every single folder and every single song again.

> Neither can any other DJ software, as far as I am aware.
I can synchronize the database between Rekordbox and Virtual DJ immediateley in realtime. And this without exporting and importing anything. Why? Because both programs are flexible enough (with intelligent playlists) I know, its not neccessary - but this is the reason why Virtual DJ won in my case and why ive buyed the full license now. Denon makes it very hard to let DJs swap to Denon. #changeyourrider
They can just hope that some startup-DJs will start with Denon directly, as long as the database is not build up somewhere else.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 11:34 am
It is documented. How do you think I knew about it? Denon didn't contact me personally and give me the information. It was announced to everyone.

If you want Engine Prime to import VDJ data, you need to speak to them, not complain here. You can vote for the feature request on the Denon forum.

I am a VDJ user, and now a Prime 4 user. It was not a problem for me to set up my library via Engine Prime onto my Prime 4.

All the folders I have set up in VDJ are now also on my Prime 4. I had to transfer them via iTunes, but it wasn't difficult.

Now we also have the option of using the Prime 4 with VDJ so we can access our VDJ data that way.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 11:48 am
I am using this tool and anything is possible https://www.atgr.nl works great. If you need more info PM me.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 12:09 pm
Unfortunately it's Mac only and expensive (for something you will likely only need once).

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 12:23 pm
I will give iTunes a try, thank you.

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 12:52 pm
mfiskPRO InfinityMember since 2006
chriso710 wrote :
Its great that the Denon Prime DJ officially supports Virtual DJ . They say so on screen during Denon's Prime 4 Tutorials for hardware attachment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5_PZulIxY

I have had this spaceship for 5 days now and although the tutorials are great, this baby does a lot for your bucks and when VDJ do the mapping I guess the price no doubt will increase as did my Pioneer DDJ-RZX digital DJ controller .

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 9:28 pm
74%