Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VideoSkin Split Panel

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
When using the Videoskins I find that sometimes, if the right deck is the active deck and I move the left deck volume slider up, cued ready to press play, the split panel that is showing the currently playing track(s) artist/title will move to the center so both tracks are displayed, this will happen even if the left deck is empty (in which case the right hand track info moves to center)..
Sometimes, once this happens, it will happen for the rest of my set or until I close VDJ and restart it, other times it will happen for a few tracks in a row then revert to normal. It never does it the other way around, i.e. showing the right deck artist/title when it volume slider is up but it's not playing.
I have added the code "visibility="deck left is_audible" to the textzone to stop any details actually showing but the right hand artist/track info will still move to the center.

Posted Sun 07 Oct 18 @ 12:31 am
OK just to add, and make a correction, it does also happen when the left deck is active and you turn up the volume on the right deck, only you won't notice unless the track on the left deck goes over the half way mark of the split panel.
I don't know if this is a bug or by design but it is not consistent, sometime the split panel goes to 50% if both volumes are up & crossfader is in the middle, even if only 1 deck is playing, most of the time it doesn't.
A great solution for me would be if the split panel could be synced with the video crossfader rather than the audio level but I cannot work out how to sync a split panel with anything other than an arbitrary value, except when it somehow syncs with audio.

Posted Sat 13 Oct 18 @ 1:32 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Sorry, bad answer and edited ;)

Posted Sat 13 Oct 18 @ 5:33 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The crossfader "graphics" on the default Video skin indeed doesnt follow exactly the position of the crossfader you see on the main skin (neither the position of your hardware controller - if any is used). It mostly shows how much of the left/right deck is heard in the Output.
If you wish to change this behavior (or even show decks depending on the Video crossfader position), you will have to edit the Video Skin (its XML) yourself.

Posted Sat 13 Oct 18 @ 8:31 am
That would be good except for 2 things -

1. Most of the time the split panel functions correctly, ie if a slider is up but the deck is not playing, that side of the split panel is not shown, however occasionally it goes wrong and starts showing a deck that is not playing if that volume slider is up. If you are saying this is by design then why is it not consistent, and to stress the point, if the deck is not playing, then it can't be heard, and therefore the split panel shouldn't show it at all - but sometimes it does, and it is not following the video crossfader because that is either at 0% or 100% (depending on what deck is playing) and the video that is not playing cannot be seen on the video output so it is definitely NOT following the the video crossfader.

2. I have NO IDEA how to attach any other value to the split panel to dictate it's position as there is no documentation on how to do this and there is no action attributed to the default video_skin split panel to give any indication how it would work. I have tried adding an action='' to the default video skin split panel but can't then put anything in there that would follow the current video crossfader or any other useful value..

Posted Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 1:14 am
Is the crossfader panel (with its deck info and wave) or the Jogwheel an the other side panels that dont show up correctly for you ?

Posted Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 3:08 am
Hi DJ Dad
Sorry If I am not making myself clear.
I am talking about video skin output to the video master and a problem with it
On the default video skin, there is a splitpanel

<split name="crossfader" type="horizontal">
<pos x="+311+6" y="+0"/>
<size width="1920-95-95-311-311-12" height="100"/>
<left>
<textzone group="horizontal" align="center" deck="left" attachX="both">
<pos x="20" y="9+15"/>
<size width="1920-95-95-311-311+1-40" height="50"/>
<text size="34" color="#0F97FF" weight="bold" action="get_artist_before_feat & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_featuring_after_artist & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_artist_title_separator"/>
<text size="34" color="#eeeeee" weight="bold" action="get_title_before_remix 'clean' & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_remix_after_title & param_uppercase"/>
</textzone>
</left>
<right>
<textzone group="horizontal" align="center" deck="right" attachX="both">
<pos x="20" y="9+15"/>
<size width="1920-95-95-311-311+1-40" height="50"/>
<text size="34" color="#e30613" weight="bold" action="get_artist_before_feat & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_featuring_after_artist & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_artist_title_separator"/>
<text size="34" color="#eeeeee" weight="bold" action="get_title_before_remix 'clean' & param_uppercase"/>
<text size="34" color="#909090" weight="bold" action="get_remix_after_title & param_uppercase"/>
</textzone>
</right>
</split>

this splitpanel shows the currently playing track text details, as you fade into the next track the split panel will slide across to show the incoming track details as well.
Under normal circumstances, if for example the right deck is playing with the right volume slider at 90%, and the left deck is not playing (with the left volume slider at any%) the splitpanel is 100% showing the <right> side, if you have the left volume slider at 0%, press play on the left deck and slowly move up the left have volume slider, the split panel will slowly match that by moving the across and showing the <left> panel, when both volume sliders are at 90% and both decks playing, the splitpanel would be at 50%.

However sometimes the splitpanel will move to the 50% position, showing both the <left> and <right> sections when the left deck is NOT PLAYING but the left volume slider is up. as you move the left volume slider up, the <left> panel slides into view to match even though the track is NOT playing, once this has started to happen, it normally persists for the rest of the session and the only way to get it to behave normally is to close VDJ then restart it.

This behavior is not consistent, so would indicate a bug.

Posted Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 3:21 pm
Hi
Am I posting this in the correct, topic, if so can anyone help, if it's the wrong topic can someone let me know where I should be posting this so that hopefully someone looks at it.
Thanks

Posted Mon 14 Jan 19 @ 9:55 pm
djkrysr wrote :
However sometimes the splitpanel will move to the 50% position,

Can't reproduce. Can you see if you can get the required steps to reproduce ?

Posted Tue 15 Jan 19 @ 10:59 pm
It works fine for a while they after an hour or so it can, but not always, start to misbehave, this is why I believe it is a bug, the only way to reproduce it is to run it all night using volume sliders with auto video crossfade on rather than use the crossfader then see it it starts to happen sorry.
Restarting VDJ always fixes the behaviour, so it has to be a bug but I can't give you any more information than what I have already given.

Posted Sat 09 Mar 19 @ 11:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)