Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best setup for VDJ remote (proven functionality) - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Check your program files to see what Intel programs are there. Will be called pro-set wireless or something like that depending on the chipset. Your computer may not have an intel wi-fi card at all of course.

You could also check the Asus website for the spec of your machine which is what I would do. Come on, this is basic stuff :)

Posted Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 6:44 pm
Already looked for info on my laptop about a built-in hot spot client from Intel. Nothing there. Probably means I haven't got it.
:(

Thought there maybe was a way to check manually on my laptop for hot spot capabilities. Thanks anyway.

(There's two thing in life that I just can't wrap my mind around: I instantly go blind / dumb... Official (from the authorities or big companies) letters/mails, and networking stuff. This is true. My mind simply locks up. That's why i asked for an easy way to check.)

Posted Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 6:46 pm
Okay, I have an Asus ROG (Windows 10 Pro) laptop that I'm trying to remote control with my Odys Aeon (Android) tablet...

Thing is, I need to be able to do this without using an internet connection for the obvious reason that such a connection will not always be available when doing a gig.

I've been at it for most of the day but it's no use: I am jinxed as far as remote controlling VDJ is concerned: It simply will not work for me. Not with the VDJRemote android app + Ad Hoc network connection (I invested several days of intense testing some time ago), nor with the Remote Desktop Protocol + Ad Hoc Network method. The Mobile Hotspot option on my laptop doesn't help either.

Should all be pretty simple...
https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/en-us/articles/216424023-General-How-do-I-connect-to-a-PC-without-an-internet-connection-
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17463/windows-7-connect-to-another-computer-remote-desktop-connection
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-set-up-an-ad-hoc-wifi-network-in-windows/0caa92d8-e02f-4e7f-aa5c-0abf10ed2039
http://www.redmondpie.com/create-ad-hoc-wifi-hotspot-in-windows-10-heres-how/
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/setup-use-remote-desktop-windows-10/

I made some desktop shortcuts on my laptop to easily created and start the ad-hoc wifi hotspot, but when trying to connect my tablet with that network, it gets stuck on "authenticating..." and eventually says "disconnected". The Remote Desktop client app - logically - cannot connect to the laptop, complaining that there's no network available.

I do not like the idea of using third-party software where Windows should be able to do stuff natively, but I guess my last resort will be to try out Splashtop and Connectify to replace RDP and Ad Hoc resp.

Oh how I HATE this part of digital deejing!!!

Posted Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 8:14 pm
Could be your tablet. Some models have an issue signing in to ad-hoc networks, especially if it's an older version of Android. I remember this was an issue for one of my friends with a Sony 1st gen tablet as the ability to join ad-hoc networks was somehow blocked in the Sony firmware.

As I said previously my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 5.1.1) works perfectly every time.

Posted Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 10:01 pm
The tablet is running Android 4.1, so it could be that...
Indeed, if I remember correctly, the other two tablets I had (when experimenting with the VDJRemote app) were also 4.1 or 4.0

BTW: with Splashtop and Connectify I was remote-controlling in half an hour! However, there are several reasons for me to not want to use these softwares, so for the moment I'll keep on trying with RDP.

Posted Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 10:26 pm
Unbelievable but true: I got Windows Remote Desktop working!
:)
...Only to find out that what was said on the MS forums was not true (in my case): that RDP would be snappier (Splashtop has a biiig laaag) than any other third-party software. With RDP the VDJ controls (sliders and such) stutter even worse than when using Splashtop!
:(
Back to square one.
If and when I find that perfect (=solid, robust) solution for remote-controlling VDJ (without using an Internet connection), I'll share it here...

Posted Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 10:26 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You could setup a hot spot through your cell phone and connect your laptop that way....and it will work, that is what I do when no internet is available.
Your cell phone settings under "network connections" should have an option "tethering and hot pot" activate it and assign a password. Go to your laptop and connect to the wireless hot spot there, now you will have Wifi...

Posted Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 1:55 pm
@Keith Radcliffe:

When I connect to my laptop (with Remote Desktop) from my tablet, the bottom part of my skin (which contains a grey line) is stretched (turning the line into a grey bar)... Do you happen to have come across this behavior? The original VDJ skin does not have this quirk...

Posted Sat 24 Jun 17 @ 4:22 pm
Also @ Keith Radcliffe: Do you have multitouch capability in VDJ on your Samsung Galaxy?

I hadn't thought of this but my Asus ROG does not have a touchscreen, so natively no touch support... From my tablet (via Remote Desktop) I can only work with one touch at a time... This is a bit frustrating. Does anyone know how to "force" a non-touchscreen laptop to support touch input?

Posted Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 9:14 am
I've solved the stretching at the bottom of the skin by adding breaklines to my xml :)
(never had a use for those up until now)

Posted Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 11:38 am
Okay, the most stable setup for remote-controlling VDJ I could find (I'm gonna have to repeat what Keith already said) is the following:

- Connectify to create a hotspot (= ad hoc network connection) on your WIFI adapter
- Microsoft Remote Desktop app for Android to remotely control my laptop

I've adapted my VDJ skin to the tablet screen size (it's being resized by Remote Desktop)

I tried the native (command line) method of Windows to create a hotspot, and also many of the freeware utilities that do the same with a GUI and extra options, but could not achieve a (stable) connection with any of them. ONLY Connectify let me connect directly right from the start and without further disconnects!!!

I also tried various alternatives to Remote Desktop (TeamPlayer, SplashTop, etc.) but did not like their screen clutter or other aspects of the software. The initial lag I experienced with Windows Remote Desktop is gone since I'm using Connectify, btw.

Posted Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 2:33 pm
Now that I have achieved a robust way to remote control VDJ, I am in the process of testing out the whole deejing process (external sound card, microphone, video output to external display, etc.) of a gig. I just discovered that when using Windows Remote Desktop for Android, no multiple monitors are available.

Keith is using Splashtop, so I suppose there is no trouble in this respect with that software. I cannot use Splashtop however, because the Android client always requires an online login (stupid) and thus cannot be used without an internet connection, which of course will not always be available when doing a gig somewhere, so that whole software is useless to me.

Would anyone happen to use Windows Remote Desktop and know how to get multiple display support? Please don't say Google, because I find that insulting.

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 1:55 pm
I have an older version of Splashtop for Android that doesn't require an online login (as it was an issue for me too). I'm sure Splashtop does support multiple monitors.

It's called Splashtop Remote Desktop HD 1.9.11.3

You may be able to find the APK somewhere if you use that well known search engine :)

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 2:13 pm
I also tried using Splashtop 1 (albeit not the HD version), but then I get a blank (black) screen... I'll try the HD version, see if it works.

...and thank you for not insulting me ;)

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 2:19 pm
Nope, doesn't work either: I get the same blank screen when connected... :(

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 2:27 pm
Apparently Windows 7 ultimate does support multi-monitor in RDP (with both ends using the same OS) so not sure about access with Android.

I would doubt anyone on here is an expert on this (as I have asked questions about RDP in the past with no luck) so in this case Google may be your best bet.

I suspect using a budget tablet on an old version of android may be part of the issue as well.

I also use Chrome remote desktop and it works well with multi monitor. Again you need to be signed in on both machines hence the need for an internet connection but it's very good.

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 2:44 pm
I got Splashtop to work by installing an older version of Streamer too.
:)
If only I could get rid of that keyboard icon overlay in the bottom right corner...

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 3:07 pm
That's good news.

Give us a screenshot of how it looks on your tablet then.

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 3:10 pm
A screenshot from my tablet? How? (And why? What do you want to see?)
I could take a photo of the laptop and tablet functioning, if that's of any use...

Posted Tue 27 Jun 17 @ 3:14 pm
Everything works ...except for the Matrox Triple2Go DE adapter. When connected, I get a black (RDP) or green (Splashtop) screen. Waiting for an answer from Matrox support. Meantime, I'll give TeamPlayer and other softwares a try...

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 7:26 am
89%