Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Denon 3900 play/pause/hot cue issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When I first press any hot cues on the 3900s, there is a half second (or so) of delay and slight skipping upon track start-up. If the song is still playing after the first cue press, and I press any other hot cues, there is no delay. If I were to pause or stop the playing track, then hit a hot cue again, I will still get the delay. I have motoWheelInstantPlay mapped to my keyboard and activated in the vdj settings, but neither aid this issue.

When I press the play/pause button, no matter the amount of times, there are delays and stutters to the track. I have adjusted motorwheelSmoothPercent to every value from 0 to 15 and it makes no difference to the stutter/skip issues. I have also adjusted the motorWheelLockTime to every value between 0 and 15 and it does not help these stutter/skip problems.

This has been a problem with both the 3700s and 3900s since virtual dj 8 came out.

Posted Mon 20 Feb 17 @ 8:54 pm
This issue actually occurs when using just the programs interface. If I hit play/pause and the hot cues within virtual dj itself, these stutter issues occur. It actually has nothing to do with my equipment.

Posted Tue 21 Feb 17 @ 9:12 pm
are you using the 3900's asio drivers for the laptop ? i ask because i have & DJ with the sc3900's and i had all kinds of LiL hiccups here & there.. went on this site and all suggested dont use the sound card from the denons and to use a mixer with a built in sound card.which i did and all is running 200% swell
my set up is Two Denons Sc3900's & American Audio 14MXR and im using only the soundcard from my mixer and not the denons

Posted Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 2:07 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Maybe smartplay smartcue options are on?

Posted Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 8:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As above, do not use the soundcards in the 3900s. Strange things will happen.

Posted Wed 22 Feb 17 @ 4:58 pm
First off, no one read my post all the way through. These issues occur regardless if my equipment is hooked up to the computer or not - the virtual dj program exhibits these issues when using the buttons on the skins alone. Secondly, smart cue is not enabled. Also, it doesn't matter what sound card I'm using because, like I said before, these issues occur when using the virtual dj skin alone. I never use the built-in sound cards of the 3900s anyway....I always tell people not to either.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 1:07 am
DJ Bertie wrote :
First off, no one read my post all the way through. These issues occur regardless if my equipment is hooked up to the computer or not - the virtual dj program exhibits these issues when using the buttons on the skins alone. Secondly, smart cue is not enabled. Also, it doesn't matter what sound card I'm using because, like I said before, these issues occur when using the virtual dj skin alone. I never use the built-in sound cards of the 3900s anyway....I always tell people not to either.

well sorry for not understanding all the way but now i do :-) i'll leave the VDJ fix to Atomix :-)

Posted Fri 24 Feb 17 @ 2:37 am
Bump. Is no one else having this issue with the program?

Posted Sun 26 Feb 17 @ 4:10 pm
Bump

Posted Wed 15 Mar 17 @ 11:34 pm
DJ Bertie wrote :
Bump

These issues occurs on both 2.0 and 3.0 ports and on any latency setting within the asio drive. Also, I tried using both denon x1600 WASAPI drivers & denon dj asio driver, but neither made a difference. Lastly, these problems do not occur when using just CDs, so this is proof it is a vdj issue.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 17 @ 11:35 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
OK, lets start troubleshooting....

You said that the delay occurs even if no hardware is connected ? If that is so, what sound card (driver) is used in VirtualDJ Audio Setup and what is the value of the Latency setting ?

Try to rename your settings.xml to oldsettings.xml (in Documents/VirtualDJ folder), restart VirtualDJ and see if the delay is still there.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 17 @ 11:46 pm
At one point the program was stuttering without my hardware connected (using the computers sound card), but now these problems only occur through using the equipment. I've been using both the '8-DN-x1600 (WASAPI)' sound card and the 'DENON DJ ASIO DRIVER (ASIO)' sound card option. I've used the latency settings from 88ms to 2048ms and nothing much changes.

Posted Thu 16 Mar 17 @ 2:22 am
Ok, if you connect the Denon X1600 mixer and use its soundcard in the Audio setup (but dont connect the SC3900) do you get any issues when controlling decks using the skin ?

Posted Thu 16 Mar 17 @ 3:02 am
If you dont have issues with just the mixer, then try ...

- Connect the SC3900
- The SC3900 have 2 knobs START/STOP TIME. Make sure those are set to minimum (0%)
- rename/delete settings.xml so that VirtualDJ starts with default settings.
- Start VirtualDJ, apply your Audio Setup with the X1600.
- Change only these settings ... motorwheelInstantPlay to Yes and motorWheelLockTime to 5.0
test.

Also see if connecting just one SC3900 helps at any way.

Posted Thu 16 Mar 17 @ 3:15 am
djdad wrote :
Ok, if you connect the Denon X1600 mixer and use its soundcard in the Audio setup (but dont connect the SC3900) do you get any issues when controlling decks using the skin ?

I followed your exact instructions and play/pause no long have any skipping! However, when hitting a cue when a song is not playing, there is still a very slight delay. Less delay than before, but still noticeable.

I always had the start time and stop time on both decks at 0. I also adjusted the motor wheel lock time and motor wheel smooth percent to many variations, so I'm wondering what exactly deleting the setting file fixed?

EDIT: If a song is playing on one deck and I press play on the other, then there is still a slight skip upon track-start. Interesting.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 12:03 am
Some additional tweaks..

- Make sure the Denon sound cards are not used as default audio devices for both playback and recording from your Operating system
- since you are using WASAPI, check the latency setting. what is the x value in automatic (x) ? If for example its set to Automatic (1024) delete that and set it as 512, see if that helps and try lower values such 256 , 128

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 12:19 am
djdad wrote :
So the small delay is now present only with Hotcue and not with Play button, right ? Weird, will try to figure out why.
Is the track fully loaded when you press the Hotcue ?

If you had renamed the settings.xml file instead of deleting, perhaps i could find out. If you have kept it or manage to restore the old file, send that file over here (babis@virtualdj.com)

BTW, what are the specs of your computer ?

I don't have the original setting file so I'm sending 2 recordings of the issue itself. I am also not opposed to team sharing to show you the persisting issue(s).
Specs: Win 7 64 bit, 8gb ram, i7-4810MQ @ 2.8ghz, 1tb storage

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 12:21 am
djdad wrote :
Some additional tweaks..

- Make sure the Denon sound cards are not used as default audio devices for both playback and recording from your Operating system
- since you are using WASAPI, check the latency setting. what is the x value in automatic (x) ? If for example its set to Automatic (1024) delete that and set it as 512, see if that helps and try lower values such 256 , 128

Right now the only sound card setting that shows up in my settings is DENON DJ ASIO DRIVER (ASIO). No other options are showing up for some reason right now. Sometimes this happens and I don't know why.

I removed both sc3900 and x1600 devices from the recording and microphone option in my computer. It doesn't seem to have helped.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 12:25 am
I think you have to uninstall Denon ASIO for Wasapi to show up, not sure though.
When you are using the ASIO, then the Latency setting should be left in automatic (default) and should adjust that from the Denon ASIO Utility/Panel

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 1:59 am
I have the same problem. If you'll solve the problem let us know.

Posted Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 10:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)