Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: counter on the clock

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I have a problem, several of my plugins need a timer, in a live setting using the system clock is ok but debugging it doesn't work as time doesn't stop.
I've long wondered about the counter on the 3rd level of the skin's clock, but can't see how to do anything with it [reset or get]

can I somehow use it? [or is it as it appears that too follows real time and not vdj run time?]

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 12:47 am
Did this as a work around, not good code but it'll do for debugging.

SendCommand("repeat_start 'rsTimer' 33ms & cycle 'varTimer' 99999");

GetInfo("get_var 'varTimer'", &timer);
timer = (timer * 33);

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 8:24 am
nirajmbHome userMember since 2016
Somehow I am facing to stop the timer for my recording session as I want to prepare my set can anyone help me in the problem I am facing to stop the timer or how I can reset it?

Posted Mon 28 Jan 19 @ 10:08 am
BUMP

I'm trying to figure out a way to start & display a timer when I begin a broadcast, to show how long I've been live.

There's a timer displayed when starting a recording but not for a broadcast. Why not?

As this thread mentions, there's a counter on the clock, but no apparent way of controlling it.

Then there's stopwatch, as locodog mentioned to me recently - but the description for that command is just "stopwatch". Not very informative. What's the difference between counter and stopwatch?

Ideally I want to hit a button to start the broadcast, which then displays an 'on air' time whilst the broadcast is live.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 8:46 pm
groovindj wrote :

As this thread mentions, there's a counter on the clock, but no apparent way of controlling it.

Start / reset => stopwatch_reset

could for example do : stopwatch_reset & broadcast as one command

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 9:15 pm
@groovin I told you this a week or so ago in another thread.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 9:38 pm
You told me there was a stopwatch command yes - but as I said, the only description I can find for the command is 'stopwatch' which doesn't explain very much.

I can see now that using stopwatch_reset resets the counter on the clock - so are stopwatch and counter one and the same?

Is there any chance of adding a timer to the broadcast option, rather than just the recording?

[later] OK now I've managed to work out how to use it (purely guesswork) using a textzone with action="get_text `stopwatch`" - but this starts counting as soon as VDJ is opened.

So having noticed that the counter behind the clock only starts once you click the clock, I added some plain text as a first "layer", so now when I open VDJ the counter doesn't start until I click on the text.

Posted Mon 11 Jan 21 @ 11:55 pm
Is there an action to STOP the stopwatch?

Since action = stopwatch_reset only resets the running stopwatch.

And as Groovindj says its stopped, till you click the clock, the first time after, VDJ is opened.

Posted Tue 12 Jan 21 @ 5:10 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Having played with the current "stopwatch" ... better avoid :\
- value issues in time
- VDJ crashes due to timer overflow just waiting...
better use "get_clock 1000" and create your own timer

Posted Tue 12 Jan 21 @ 6:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
broadcast_message full

Should include the duration of a broadcast btw.

To use the stopwatch, in the default skin just click the clock to toggle to the stopwatch, and the stopwatch will start running.
If you need to reset you could indeed use stopwatch_reset

Posted Tue 12 Jan 21 @ 7:22 am
Adion wrote :
broadcast_message full

Should include the duration of a broadcast btw.

Unfortunately it doesn't. When pressing the BCAST button ('master tab' Pro layout of default skin) it just says "starting broadcast" and "broadcast started" - no duration.

Posted Mon 18 Jan 21 @ 11:55 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Sorry, looks like it does for shoutcast/icecast, but indeed not for video broadcast.

Posted Mon 18 Jan 21 @ 1:15 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
So you dont get the Time .. ?

Edit, ok, just saw Adion's post.

Posted Mon 18 Jan 21 @ 1:16 pm
Custom timer for any purpose:

Button "Start Timer":
repeat_start 'PSTimer' 1000ms & cycle "$PSTimer"1000000

Button "Stop Timer":
repeat_stop 'PSTimer'

Button "Reset Timer":
set '$PSTimer' 0

Textzone "Minutes" formatted to 2 places:
get_var '$PSTimer' & param_cast int & param_multiply 0.0166666 & param_cast 'int_trunc' & param_cast "00"

Textzone "Seconds" formatted to 2 places:
get_var '$PSTimer' & param_cast int & param_multiply 0.0166666 & param_cast 'frac' & param_multiply 60 & param_cast int & param_cast "00"

The timer can count some 16+ hours before it self resets back to zero.
By adjusting the maths you can create a textzone for hours as well if you wish so
YES, it's not super accurate to use on plug-ins etc. But it's good enough for any "demonstration" purpose such as an "on-line/playing/broadcasting" timer.
By inverting the maths you can create a countdown timer as well
In order to "pause" the timer just press the "stop timer" button. Then in order to resume press "start timer" button again.
Timer won't reset automatically to zero (but you can adjust the code if you want to do so)

Posted Mon 18 Jan 21 @ 1:30 pm
Thanks George

Posted Mon 18 Jan 21 @ 2:55 pm
I've just noticed this has been rectified in the latest build. Video broadcast now includes run time. Thanks Atomix!

Posted Thu 04 Feb 21 @ 5:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)