Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: VST effects - slider parameters

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

oursoulHome userMember since 2009
Hi

I've got a couple of VST effects i'd like to use with VDJ, and have got them showing up and functioning by putting them in the Sound Effects folder, and would like to link certain controls to hardware knobs.

Is there a way to choose which knob (on the VST) is assigned to FX Param 1? it seems to pick one at random by default, but it's rarely something useful!

The other alternative is to map "deck 1 effect slider 2" to a hardware knob, then keep changing the slider number and experimenting, but some of these effects have hundreds of parameters so finding the right one is sometimes a bit laborious - is there a way to get a list of the slider numbers on a third party effect as seen by VDJ? I don't think MIDI learn will work on a VST's display window :(

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 9:17 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The order of the Parameters of a Plugin (VST or any other) cannot be changed. There is also a big chance that some Parameters of a VST Effect do not offer any control via Midi. This is what i would do.
Assign a bunch of knobs as effect_slider 1 ... to .. effect_slider 10.
See which Parameters those knobs control. If a Parameter is a useful one, and e.g. its effect_slider 5, then i would map a knob as ..
effect_select 'TheVSTName' ? effect_slider 5 : effect_slider 1
so if the VST is selected, it would control the wanted parameter, if not, it will control the 1st parameter of all other selected effects.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 10:12 am
oursoulHome userMember since 2009
That's a good idea, assigning 1-10 to see what happens (I was doing it one knob/slider at a time). The ones i want to control are certainly midi assignable in other software, so i assume it's the same in vdj.

Not sure about the query method of assigning the slider though, but then i don't know what you mean by the VST being 'selected'?

The way i've been doing it is to set a button to switch the effect on, then using a slider to change a parameter - i don't need it to behave differently if the button isn't pressed, that would just add to my confusion!

Also, I notice the effects act as direct effects - is there a way to get them to behave as 'sends', so you can send a signal to them then have the effect play out over the original track, like in the case of an echo/delay, you'd want to just apply the effect then have it ring out, rather than always on? I guess you could do it by finding the wet/dry parameter and having that assigned to a knob...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 16 @ 11:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)