Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pad note-off cancelling out LED data

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

oursoulHome userMember since 2009
Hi

I've set up a controller definition file for my APC40 MkII, and have managed to get the pads to light up using the mapping command:

play ? constant 0.75

The pads are all momentary buttons, so when released they send a note-off message, which makes the pad LED switch off. At least i'm assuming that's what it is - when you press any of the pads on the controller they light up green (while pressed) by default, so it could be that that's cancelling out the LED info being sent from VDJ?

I'm wondering if there's some command i can add which will re-send the LED info after the pad has been released, so the pad reverts back to the colour state previously sent to it?

As far as i can tell there's no way to change the behaviour of the APC i.e. change the buttons from momentary to toggle.

All the pads are in the definition file as <button note> and <led note> entries as follows:

<button note="0x00" name="Clip Launch 1" channel="0" />
<led note="0x00" name="LED_CLIPLAUNCH1" min="0x00" max="0x7F" channel="0" />

Is there something I can put in the definition file to cover note-off messages?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 7:58 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Page 10 of the APC manual
You will need to send a sysex to set the unit to Ableton Live mode, in order to fully control the LEDs of the unit

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 11:15 am
That looks like it might be the solution, i always thought i should use generic midi for some reason, but you're right it does say generic midi controls the leds, whereas Ableton mode allows them to be controlled by the host - can't wait to try it out!

Thanks for your time (and being better at reading manuals than me)

By the way i don't see the mk2 under supported controllers, has no-one written a definition yet? I will happily donate mine to the cause when it's done...

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 11:37 am
Hello again, sorry but i've got another question...

In the communication protocol document, it states that
Mode 0 = 0x40 = generic mode
Mode 1 = 0x41 = ableton live mode
Mode 2 = 0x42 = alternate ableton mode

When i set up the controller definition file, i used the vid and pid numbers, not the long string given by Miditrace:

<device name="APC40 mkII" author="ME" description="APC40 MKII VDJ" version="800" type="MIDI" vid="0x09E8" pid="0x0029" decks="2">

but from what i understand, the mode setting needs to be changed by somehow altering the string given by Miditrace?

F0 7E 00 06 02 47 29 00 19 00 01 00 01 00 7F 7F 7F 7F 41 31 31 34 31 32 31 35 37 31 31 30 30 36 37 00 F7

So i think i need to change the 'Product Model ID' (byte 4, in the output above '29') to the correct one for Ableton Live Mode. Weirdly, 0x41 = 29 in hex, so doesn't that mean it's already in the correct mode? I am probably massively mis-understanding again...

Anyway, if i change the definition file to use the long string rather than the vid/pid, my button definitions revert back to '0-BUTTON1' etc, so i'm assuming that's not working for me.

Forgive the constant questions (I really am trying!), but how would one go about sending a separate sysex message to change the mode at startup?

In the wiki it shows this, which looks like the right kind of thing, but has slightly more bytes than "0x41"

<init sendsysex="F00001020304057F" />

Please could someone explain? My head hurts...

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 2:03 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Wiki is just showing an example. Not all sysex messages have the same format/size.

See Page 8
Format of Introduction message from Host to Device

Put that in your definition
<init sendsysex="F0477F2960000442000000F7"/>
See if it works

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 2:46 pm
Woo! yes it did! Thanks!

Which bit did you change then? Was it the 29 (product model ID)? Though I can now see i wasn't sending anything at all to it, so it was always defaulting to mode 0, doh...

I cannot thank you enough, and can now crack on with setting it up :)

Posted Sat 16 Jul 16 @ 3:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)