Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tip Stacking Visualizations and Effects - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DjButlaPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello all! So I recently purchased a Asus Gaming laptop with the purpose of DVS Virtual DJ simulation. Seeing as how it handled everything I could throw at it, I decided to try my hand at VJing. I have a small library of Music Videos and a few really good Visualizations.

Is Started messing around with MilkDrop and a few others and quicky noticed that you can stack effects in a certain order and it will completely change the outcome of the Video Out.

For example, if you use the following Effects in the following order,

1. Text
2. Spectrum
3. Milkdrop.

the text will be modified by the spectral effect. However, As soon as you put that Milkdrop on, It will overlay on top of both of them, Rendering(HAHA) them useless.

If you change the order to the following;

1. Milkdrop
2. Spectrum
3. Text

You'll have a Video effect of a sweet (IMHO) visualization, Modified by a spectrum, with an unmodified Text floating above it for Clarity.

NOICE!

I'm working hard on trying to find a few really good combinations and set ups.

My current running one is as

1. Milkdrop or Slideshow
2. Spectral w/ Dynamic Enabled
3. Text ( DJ name overlay)
4. Video Cube

I'll have Pics Up shortly. Also working on a video recording w/walkthrough

Any ideas and or examples, throw em in this Thread.

Come-on Community! Lets, um. Commune? COMMUNE! I'm callin it!

Posted Thu 09 Jun 16 @ 12:23 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Your profile says you been here since 2004 or is that just a misprint as well, if you check my blog out, it shows all the way back in April 2009 how to "overlay" various effects on top of each other, mind back then we only had clipbank and soniques, but as you found out you can do amazing things with a little work, perseverance and some imagination.

Placing transparent or semi transparent video samples around your output screen will also give you some great results as well.

Posted Thu 09 Jun 16 @ 1:38 pm
tayla wrote :
Your profile says you been here since 2004 or is that just a misprint as well, if you check my blog out, it shows all the way back in April 2009 how to "overlay" various effects on top of each other, mind back then we only had clipbank and soniques, but as you found out you can do amazing things with a little work, perseverance and some imagination.

Placing transparent or semi transparent video samples around your output screen will also give you some great results as well.

Not a misprint! As you may know the road to becoming a good DJ is a long and arduous one( I reminisce on my days of rocking nightclubs in Italy with my Hercules Mk2...)

I hadn't focused on video aspects until recently. I'll check out your blog and see what I find, but feel free to share within the forum to enlighten others that may not know of the methods to achieve great visuals. Commune!

Posted Fri 10 Jun 16 @ 11:02 am
I too am rocking an ASUS ROG, love it. Handles everything I throw at it.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 16 @ 9:14 pm
It's a bit of an Anvil, But man does this thing Boogie!

Posted Sat 18 Jun 16 @ 1:24 am
Yeah, it's heavy but lighter than my subs, and most of the other equipment I carry into a gig. However, it handles all the visualizations and effects way better then the light weights.

Posted Sat 18 Jun 16 @ 4:09 am
Ive been trying to layer video effects but have been unsuccessful. Hoping you maybe able to help me since you seem pretty knowledgeable. I would assume if i activate video bars, then spectrum. The spectrum lines would be seen over the video bars. When i turn on these as master effects in that order, the spectrum bars get cut off at the video bar even though it was turned on last. I would think that would be the behavior when turning on video bars second.

Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Posted Wed 21 Sep 16 @ 2:32 am
I just installed spectrum to see what you are talking about. The spectrum is not cut off, it's just that you have told the black bars to cover that area. The spectrum seems to be going under the black bars. Also, the spectrum is a visualization, so may have a different protocol as to how it operates. Now, I don't know jack about the actual workings of these effects, so a smarter person may shed some light on your question.

Posted Wed 21 Sep 16 @ 7:27 am
Yes, agreed. Sorry if I was not clear. Spectrum is not being cut off, it's just "behind" the video bars. However if spectrum is engaged after video bars, I would think it should be "on top". Anyone know why that is not the case?

Posted Fri 23 Sep 16 @ 3:54 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Visualisations are indeed always rendered first

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 4:43 am
I am confused.
I am using Milkdrop 8

HOWEVER:
I require it to be set as the default AudioOnlyVisualization.

WHEN I do this, it will not allow text to be displayed. Milkdrop is on top and the text does not display.

I want, as I could in VDJ 7 with Sonique, to be able to have Milkdrop run as the default AudioOnlyVisualization, and when I enter TEXT, I want it to display over Milkdrop, just like in good old VDJ 7.

Can anyone help me?

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 8:58 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Are you calling the text effect from master or are you calling from a deck? You should be using master.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 16 @ 9:21 pm
I don't call up Milkdrop using the dropdowns on the skin.
I have it set in settings as the AudioOnlyVisualization.
I want Milkdrop set to play automatically when an audio-only file is loaded.
When this setting is set up, Milkdrop seems to take over the video screen and will not allow text to be displayed over it.
I don't use the effects pull-downs in the skin, because I want Milkdrop to be the AudioOnlyVisualization.
Changing manually between Karaoke, Video and Audi Only using the pull-downs is sloppy and if I am distracted by a customer, I'll end up displaying a blank screen.
This worked (text over the visualizations) in VDJ 7, with Sonique, and I was wondering if there is something I can do to make the same thing work in VDJ 8 with Milkdrop (as Sonique can no longer be set up to cycle through random visualizations as in VDJ 7)
I need a way to tell the program to place Milkdrop in the back of other visuals.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 10:41 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It displays text over milkdrop here,

playing a audio only track, milkdrop doing it's thing on master, turn the text fx on.

like most other fx the order fx are chained is important.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 16 @ 11:04 pm
DK, loco did not say anything about calling up milkdrop, he asked if you are running the text effect on the master. If you run the text effect on a deck, then it will be covered up by the visualization. If you run the text effect on the master it will overlay the visualization.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 16 @ 3:47 am
THANK YOU!
I was using a modified skin and didn't realize there was a master effects!
Sometimes I'm a little dense.
Merry Christmas and
Thank you all!

Posted Thu 22 Dec 16 @ 11:52 pm
hey can i ask if you have managed to get milkdrop and a slideshow stacked on the same deck and running together with both visible, because i cannot for the life of me get that to work no matter which order i start them in. i have also tried running either/both of them on the master effects and that also just overlays one over the other and blocks it out totally. the only way i can see them both at once is if i have one running on the left deck and the other on the right and i mix them, but then i end up using a deck just for a slideshow which seems dumb...

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:24 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Um? Why do you want Milkdrop AND Slideshow at the same time?

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:31 pm
because it looks way cooler when i have trippy visualizations overlaying the slideshow :)

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 3:47 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yep, this was possible with sonique way back when.... but we lost a lot when v8 came along.

Posted Fri 13 Jan 17 @ 6:28 pm
83%