Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Topic: Adjust BPM on Pitch Slider - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello, is there a way to adjust the BPM increments on the pitch slider besides changing pitch range? At pitch range 12% it moves up by .2, I actually like it to move up around .5. Is there a way to just change the pitch slider performance to do this. Thanks ;)

Posted Thu 03 Mar 16 @ 10:10 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
BPM changes with the pitch slider by providing a % value. The amount of the BPM change also depends on the pitch range and the BPM value of the track as well.
So you can have a very small BPM step if using an action like pitch +0.01% and pitch range to +-6%
There is no other way at the moment and unfortunately whatever pitch actions you come up, you wont be able to have specific BPM steps

Posted Thu 03 Mar 16 @ 3:07 pm
Great, thank you. So if I understand you right, the only way to adjust the amount the bpms increase by is by adjusting the pitch range? What's weird though, is though I had my settings set in a way where the bpm was adjusting by around .5 each increment and it used to sound really clear and clean. I got a new laptop though and I can't get the settings back the way I liked it, i.e. bpms adjusting by .5 and the sound quality not sounding stretched out. I use virtual dj 8 with a numark mixtrack pro 2 do you have any idea what my settings used to be, is there just some button I pressed? Thanks.

Posted Thu 03 Mar 16 @ 7:59 pm
The BPM is changed based on the % amount of the applied Pitch. The amount and precision/step of the Pitch applied by the Pitch fader of your controller depends on :

• the resolution of the actual hardware fader
  • the position of the Pitch fader
  • the selected Pitch Range

There is no setting or combination of the above that can provide the exact same BPM step to ALL songs.
A -+1% pitch applied to a track of 100 BPM track will result a tempo of 99/101 BPM (1 BPM step)
A -+1% pitch applied to a track of 200 BPM track will result a tempo of 198/202 BPM (2 BPM step)

As for the stretched sound, see if the Keylock/Master Tempo is disabled from the Deck Options ...

or the PitchQuality setting (in Advanced Options of VirtualDJ Settings) is not set to the default value 2

Posted Fri 04 Mar 16 @ 3:10 am
Thank you. So how would I set the pitch to +0.05 for instance?

Posted Fri 04 Mar 16 @ 11:28 am
Your best chance would be to map 2 buttons as ..
pitch X%
and
pitch -X%
where X needs to be a value that moves the BPM to the best step for the kind of tracks that you usually mix.
E.g.
pitch 0.08%
and
pitch -0.08%
provides a step of around 0.1 BPM if you play tracks around 120BPM

pitch 0.4%
and
pitch -0.4%
provides a step of around 0.5 BPM if you play tracks around 120BPM

Posted Fri 04 Mar 16 @ 3:14 pm
Sorry didn't mean to send that.

So, basically what your telling me is that there is no way to change the performance of the slider except by adding buttons that will change the pitch once, i.e. if I add a button that's pitch 100.5% that means it will change that bpm once by 5%, but it will not change the bpm by that percentage every time I move the fader?

Which means there is no way to change the performance of the pitch fader except by adjusting the pitch range, correct?

Thank you.

Posted Sat 05 Mar 16 @ 7:23 pm
Don't know if this has anything to do with your question but there is also a "PitchLock" the will keep the singer pitch "normal" (the same) as you adjust the BPM's

Posted Sat 05 Mar 16 @ 7:29 pm
DJ Nattydredtvc wrote :
Hello, is there a way to adjust the BPM increments on the pitch slider besides changing pitch range? At pitch range 12% it moves up by .2, I actually like it to move up around .5. Is there a way to just change the pitch slider performance to do this. Thanks ;)

i think i understand what you mean. Example: lets say a song is 100 bpm and you want increase it, not by % but by a specific value like 0.05 so it goes like this

99.95 bpm
100 bpm (Original song bpm)
100.05 bpm
100.10 bpm
100.15 bpm

If this is the case i have requested this at the wishlist.
@DJDAD it would be awesome to have an option where we can control the exact value....i believe some old cdjs were like that

Posted Sun 06 Mar 16 @ 12:37 am
Yay, that would be cool. It was also be cool to be able to control the percentage that the pitch slider moves up by in a universal way. Meaning; right now at a 12% pitch range it moves up by .2, at a 16% it moves up by .3%, at a 25% it moves up by .5%, and so on. My problem is that I'd like my pitch fader to move up by around .5% each time, but I don't want the pitch range to be at 25% because it makes the sound quality worse. So, either being able to control the pitch slider universally, meaning each time step is a specific amount, like .5 bpm or by a percentage, if you had pitch range set at 12%, you could do pitch range 12% x 0.005 at it would make a 72bpm track increase by around .3 for instance. Do you know what I mean? Thanks.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 16 @ 7:44 pm
Ok yes! We're saying the same thing! I've requested at the wishlist section. Once i have time I'll post it here so you can go comment on it.
@DJDAD that would be awesome and it can easily be done. We would have an option of this in the settings.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 16 @ 7:59 pm
Great, looking forward to it. Thank you.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 16 @ 9:07 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
djs work with pitch

i can think of a way to get precise tempo changes with two buttons but i am so strongly against the idea that i won't publish it, sorry.

try different ranges and you'll find one that works for you.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 8:21 pm
Maybe we can map it on the pitch?

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 8:30 pm
no, no, no.... well yes within a range but still no, i am firm in my belief that dj's work with pitch, and i'm not budging.

what difference would fixed increment tempo make/

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 8:48 pm
BIG DIFFERENCE! I like to beat match my next-to-mix song and have it on a loop. If i can change the variety bpm by 0.10 lets say I'll beat match exactly perfect... Now its so detailed and it feels nothing like when i was doing it on CDJs.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 8:54 pm
then you want pitchlock.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 8:58 pm
I simply want to be able to increase the bpms by bigger increments without sacrificing sound quality.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 9:17 pm
then increase the range, sound issues only creep in once you start with large pitch changes, like plus or minus 6 and greater. [as you'd get with a disc on a deck]

i'm still lost why though how is 128.5 any better than 128.48,
honestly hundredth of a bpm readers changed this game for the worse, mix by ear, using sync is no crime if you can mix by ear, but pitch is the lever how djs work tempo.
if you aren't a pre digital dj them you won't get where i'm coming from, but i feel working direct with bpm cheapens the craft.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 16 @ 10:43 pm
67%