Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Amplification, Class D and Powered Speakers - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Are the power ratings RMS?
If not there no good for all the different types of mobile work I encounter on the road.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 4:26 pm
In all honesty I don't need the system because I rarely do mobile (maybe 2/3 times a year) but they weren't blown and he bought it last year. He lost his job and kinda needs money so I can grab the unit for 500 cash.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 4:46 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If the system is in good condition, I would grab it. It would save on rental costs for the few mobile gigs you do. Who knows, you may do more then a few. Also, you could rent it out.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:03 pm
Hm $500 is not much, but It is not a complete answer to a mobile DJ's needs.
If the power ratings are not RMS I would not buy.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:08 pm
Thing is Ron, RMS is the rating some manufacturers use and not others. That's like not buying a car because the speedo is Km/h instead of MPH.

Just because it's not rated in RMS doesn't mean it's not any good. I have had amps in the past rated as peak and they still kick ass.

If you know about sound systems you will be able to figure out the relationship between the amps and speakers without blowing anything.,

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:19 pm
The problem is with the car's engine, it might be out of a lawn mower.

This system is inadequate for my needs.
Why should Beatbreaker be different ?
He does not know where he will be asked to work.

I worked upstairs in a golf club on NYE, that sub would have meant my death.

This is silly..you have to know the true value of the power output.
The tops could be anything between 100 to 300W RMS per speaker.

I would not have bought the Inuke 3000 amplifier without first establishing that it's true RMS output was around 550W per channel into 4 ohm. Added to that I can offer it a 2 ohm load which leads to 1000W RMS per channel.

I'm talking about the real power output, not Maplins, or Behringers version.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:37 pm
Its all god fellas and Thanks for the info!!

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna grab it and yes Ron I totally hear what your saying about the stairs, that would most definitely suck, lmmfao!!

This is more or less of a favor, he needs money I have money so ill grab and in the future after he gets back on his feet he can buy it back.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:44 pm
While stairs suck with most equipment, something like a Rock-n-Roller cart makes heavier equipment much more bearable. 136lbs on a dolly isn't that bad. Sometimes it's worth hiring a roadie. An amp rack isn't any more fun.

As far as mobile work, I have seen a few successful events done with the Matrix 1000.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:49 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Are the power ratings RMS?
If not there no good for all the different types of mobile work I encounter on the road.

According to their rep, they are RMS values.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2t3bM0WWmQ[/youtube]

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 5:54 pm
Hence It's an excellent buy as long as you keep away from stairs LOL !

$500 is very little for a true 1.6k RMS rig.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 6:02 pm
Well once again fellas yall come through with flying colors, lol!!

Sorry for the derail but you guys have been a big help. Never know I might join the mobile DJ club now, lmmfao!!

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 6:04 pm
bigron, thanks for the advice lol

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 7:12 pm
The B52 Matrix systems have long been a favourite of the DJs on www.mobiledjforums.com who hold an annual "speaker meet" in the north of England.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 7:42 pm
Most of the time you can calculate RMS value easily.
Generally speaking Peak Watts = 2x Max Watts = 4x Watts RMS
HOWEVER keep in mind that watts is not a proper measurement unit for speakers (active or passive)
When talking about speakers what you should look at is maximum db SPL
Long story made short, it IS possible a speaker with double wattage capacity sound the same or even more quiet than one with half wattage. It all comes to their sensitivity and the power they draw to produce the same loudness.

PS: I purchased a FBT Vertus CLA system last summer (2 subs, 2 sats) and I'm really happy with it. It produces a crazy amount of sound for its size! I'm thinking to double it this summer (so that it's 4 subs, 4 sats) just to have some "headroom" but even as it is now it covers up all my needs as a Dj ;)

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 7:56 pm
Yes, the FBT Vertus is another popular system - especially for wedding DJs who like (or need) something discreet. Also, Denon have used them on their stands at the BPM show.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 8:08 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
When talking about speakers what you should look at is maximum db SPL

Agreed. With a Max SPL of 136 db, these should do good for most mobile events.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 8:31 pm
My 2kW RMS active laptop stand has roared into action.
It's got a couple of sexy aluminium legs with plastic red bits on the end.
Four bolts, along with wing nuts secure the amplifier to the legs.
It's more solid than my normal stand !
I don't know if it will work out in practice.

I might be off on one LOL.
I'll post a photo later.

The thing is that I don't want to put the amplifier into a flight case which is heavier.
I have a light weight Arriba bag which might be ok.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 8:54 pm
Ron, you may want to look into a case for the amp. Something that can protect it, especially the terminals, during transport.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 9:07 pm
I might do in the future, at the moment I want to know if the amplifier is adequate. It's pointless getting a flight-case for something I don't use. I already have a few 2U flight-cases but their too big, and heavy.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 9:25 pm
@ phantomdj

The SPL is of course secondary to the RMS power rating in watts.
Simply it really would not matter what the SPL of a 5w RMS speaker was since it would be of no use for our purposes.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 9:44 pm
33%