Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Amplification, Class D and Powered Speakers - Page: 7

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
A speakers impedance is a variable depending on frequency, and the impedance plot for my 4 ohm nominal Peavey Impulse 1012 indicates a minimum of around 3 ohms going to around 10 ohms or more at higher frequencies. On this basis I used 3 ohms to calculate the maximum instantaneous current flowing. Rather than using rms power perhaps I should have used peak.
Anyway it's a lot of current!

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80304759.pdf page 2 gives the relevant info, though it's confused by two types of driver, 4 ohm, and 8 ohm.
The minimum impedance for a 4 ohm driver is 3.2 ohms, I used 3 in my little sum.

My speakers don't have an input/output for daisy chaining so last night I looked on ebay for a speakon cable split-er which I found, but it was rated 6 amps. Today I did the sums, and it looks like the peak instantaneous current flows would be well above 26 amps.

A 2 ohm 1000 wrms (2 x 4 ohm 500wrms speakers in parallel per channel) load is outside of my knowledge, and comfort zone.
I really have frightened myself.

Posted Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 8:57 pm
+1 bigron

Thats why its called impedance not resistance, as bigron has said the resistance is frequently dependant.

And I have not checked your sums but yes 26 amps seems reasonable, but bear in mind thats peak current.

I tend to make my own speaker cables, the ones I use currently are multistrand copper about 4mm sq, if you work that out it will take over 32a at 240v. You cant beat a bit of over engineering!

I'm actual fact the lower the resistance of your speaker cables the better the damping factor will be.

Wells that cam add a twist to this thread

Damping factor ....... Discuss!!

Posted Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 9:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)