Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: SLIP MODE bug in combination with Loop exit command!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey all,

there is a bug when you turn on slip mode for a deck (or all decks in my case): when combined with a loop exit command:

So I have a button to reset stuff I do, (turn off effects, reset filter etc, exit loops etc. ) I use this to freak around but then quickly reset everything to normal.. the mapping looks like this:

var 'shift' ? sampler all stop & eq_reset & filter 50% & effect "Beat Grid" active off & effect "Reverb" active off & effect "Echo" active off & effect "Backspin" active off & effect "delay" active off & skin_pannel "mixer" on & set_gain 1 : eq_reset & filter 50% & effect "Beat Grid" active off & effect "Reverb" active off & effect "Echo" active off & effect "Backspin" active off & effect "delay" active off & loop_exit & skin_pannel "mixer" on & sampler all stop on & set_gain 1

so basically when I press it, everything resets and when I shift-press the key everything resets but the loop remains active...

so far so good.. but yesterday I was playing around with slip mode (scratching etc pretty cool) and I discovered that everything slipped back to the song position when I pressed this mapped key (loop_exit)

so I could even do searches forward or backward, or even press the wave anywhere and when I pressed the key (the loop_exit) the song would pick up where it was supposed to be.
basically I could really do very interesting things and immediately jump back to normal song position. Very cool! And when I turned off slipmode search would be normal, and no longer jumped back anywhere when I used exit_loop command. very interesting all this and opens a lot of creative possibilities.

However...:

I noticed that when you load a new song it DOESNT reset slip mode cursor (I dont know how to explain it otherwise) So if a song is at 1:25 time and you do lots of stuff and then "exit_loop" it would jump to where it would have been (i.e. 1:30) but this keeps moving forward even if you load a new song!!!! So it doesn't reset!!
the only way to reset it when you load a new song is to do a small scratch . then it jumps to the normal position and basically starts counting the slip mode "timer" from the start.

So sometimes when the slip mode cursor or timer is at 4:30 and you load a song that is shorter... as soon as you press exit_loop (or in my case loop_exit is mapped with lots of other commands) then the song jumps beyond the end of the song and it stops!

this is the bug... so please make the slip mode cursor reset with each new load of a track!

p.s. I hope you can keep the functionality of searches and clicks on the waveform to be "slippable" during SLIPMODE on because the creative and live remix possibilities of this are endless when you can reset the play position while mapping the loop_exit command! . If you would want normal search behaviour etc. (not slippable) you could just turn off SLIP MODE

please look at it because SLIP MODE has a lot of creative potential, however since the slip "cursor" doesnt reset when loading a new track (apart from a quick scratch) it can cause problems and cause the track to stop suddenly

thanks!

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 2:13 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
just some tips.. maybe unrelated to the reported bug (will have to reproduce and see how it acts here)..
replace all the effect_active actions with ... effect_disable_all
I believe it should do exactly what you want.
Also try .. loop off instead of loop_exit
See if this unwanted behavior is not present if you change the LoopAutomove setting to No.

Posted Wed 02 Sep 15 @ 9:46 pm
I checked with loop off in stead of loop_exit.. bug remains the same.

I hope you can fix it soon while keeping creative functionalities as stated above. Thanks !

Posted Sat 05 Sep 15 @ 6:28 pm
bug still there in 2441 update

has nothing to do with looproll on / off . bug is there even without looproll mode on.

Posted Mon 07 Sep 15 @ 1:22 pm
Fix loop_exit jumping to slip mode position when no loop is active

so the bug is gone which is good. But it lost some functionality as well. you used to be able to slip the search forward / backward and clicking the waveform as well (click the waveform anywhere, loop_exit would return to normal play position, much like slipping the cue points) Is there any way this could be brought back, (slipping the search / forward and slipping the waveform click i.e. touchscreen) I'm just saying this functionality makes VDJ a crazy remix machine, unlike anything on the market. Please consider bringing it back.

I know you can program all this with the cue points as well and that they are slipable, however it requires CUE point programming and is by far less flexible and intuitive as for SEARCH / waveform clicks. Thanks. Would be very very cool and be another amazing unique VDJ8 feature to show in my store demos.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:05 pm
If you are doing searching/seeking with a controller then you can turn on slip (not slip mode) prior seeking and then turn it off when you're done.

A brief example is this for a Pioneer unit that has touchstrip:

Touchstrip_touch: down ? slip on : slip off
Touchstrip: song_pos

Of course you can expand this example to fit your needs based on your controller(s)

PS: slip is different than slip_mode. Slip on sets a start slip point and Slip off returns to where the track would have been. ALL actions that occur between slip on and slip off are "canceled" on slip off

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:23 pm
ok i'll try that and what about slipping touching the visual wave? this used to be possible before the bugfix.

thanks

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 2:33 pm
hey adion can you give me a mapping example relating to RMX2 search buttons, so what I want is .... play a track to a certain position, then search... so it plays a part i.e. repeat some earlier part, then have it pick up from where it was before.. so I can skip through the song in a musical fashion, but now I want to return to the normal play position. I used to map this with loop_exit... so how do I do it?

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 2:46 pm
Something like this ? down ? slip on & seek -4 : seek 0 & slip off
(That's seeking backwards, replace -4 with +4 to seek forward)

Posted Sat 19 Sep 15 @ 5:34 pm
ok will try thanks

Posted Mon 21 Sep 15 @ 10:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)