Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: One bug and one crash

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Installed VDJ8 today (build 2179.959)
I found one very minor bug but still wanted to share it.
When keylock activated, when touching the pitch slider for the first time, a small "pop" is heard (when a track is playing)

The crash occourred when starting a batch - analyse for BPM, selecting "Computer" in the very left browser window.
A text was showing "Scanning computer" but no progress was seen. I then noticed that it had crashed and was forced to shut it down through Windows.

When starting it up again I noticed that all settings I made to browser settings, what colums in main browser and sidelist was all back to default.
Does this have something to do with the crash? Perhaps browser settings are stored when shutting down VDJ?

Posted Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 2:45 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
No crash was uploaded from your computer to our servers. Was your computer online ?
Could be a Windows crash and not a VirtualDJ crash (it would restart software automatically in that case).

Can you repeat this and try to spot the file(s) that they caused the crash when analyzed ?
I would suggest to go folder by folder this time. It would be easier..
Or maybe open the database.xml and see if it stopped on a certain track/folder ?

Yes, the settings were not saved as the software didnt properly close (settings are saved on exit)

Posted Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 4:11 pm
I could repeat the crash...
When standing on "Computer" I select batch - scan for BPM etc
VDJ show "Analyzing Computer" (Not scanning as I told in previous post)
There are no progress seen, I would exepect some files showing up just like in the case when scanning a single folder.
CPU load went up to the same level as when doing a folder scan (in my case about 30%)
Then I try to quit VDJ pressing the red cross top right. Then crash.

The PC were scanning a single folder of about 5000 files during the night with no problem. (progress seen, by files left to scan and filenames)
And yes, the PC was online in both crashes.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 12:14 am
There is no progress bar when you analyze a folder, unless the folder is selected (in that case, the scanned track has a progress bar).

As above, probably some "bad" tracks cause this Windows crash, so we need to have one of them in order to reproduce and fix.
So instead of batch analyzing "Computer" , try to batch analyze smaller sub-folders and see on which point the crash comes.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 2:30 am
No progress bar, but it shows percent of track analyzed and number of tracks left to analyze. That's what I meant with "progress".

It does crash in the same way on my other PC which is not a "music-PC" where I installed VDJ8 just for experimenting.
As soon as I select "Computer" or "Desktop" and start analyzing, it seems to get stuck.
As soon as I try to quit VDJ, it crashes.
Could you test this at your place?

As long as I analyze single folders, it seems to work every time (with known media content)

EDIT: Testing the same thing with VDJ 7.4.2 does not result in a crash.

EDIT2: Selected the folder "Windows" and started a scan for BPM etc.
Text shows "Analyzing windows"
If I try to quit VDJ or even press "Config" button - will make it crash.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 3:09 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Are you running VDJ as administrator?

Maybe it's an authorization problem while trying to read some folders on C:

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 4:20 am
Tried run as admin with no difference.

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 4:33 am
If you choose to analyze "Desktop" then actually every single file in your computer, including your local Network, Windows folder, system folders etc will be analyzed.
So as said above, better choose the sub-folders you need to analyze that contain Media files and if for any reason, a crash occurs again, then you will know where to search ;)

There is really no easy way to prevent analyzing "special" folders and as you may imagine all kind of "bad" files could be there hidden in all places

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 5:17 am
I totally get your point. I will scan known folders.
BUT, I see it as a bug and since VDJ 7.4.2 can cope with this, there seems to be something going on, that needs some attention.
Did you try to reproduce this for yourself? It's easy :)

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 6:16 am
What is the purpose of analyzing files, that have nothing to do with playing audio or video files?

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 11:49 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
What is the purpose of analyzing files, that have nothing to do with playing audio or video files?

In my world, it should not crash.
You should be able to scan an entire computer, right?
So why does it care about files it does not need to analyze.
Well then. I just wanted to give some feedback...

Posted Wed 01 Apr 15 @ 1:36 pm
ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
Guys let's face the truth. VDJ is not a perfect Program yet. It has some minor bugs that can be resolved. If a program CRASHES or not responts then there is leak in the code, and it should be resolved. The user can do anything he wants, the Program itsself MUST never crash! If someone reports that the programs hangs then should be treated like a help to make the program better. Suggestions like: "don't do that" it's not a solution! I have the Option from the program to do that, it's not my fault that it crashes...
Let's all help make VDJ a perfect DJ Program!!!

Posted Thu 02 Apr 15 @ 5:52 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It will be fixed in that the next build will no longer scan 'This PC' and 'Network' when trying to analyze Desktop, however it should be noted that as far as I can tell, nothing critical would happen.
When the scan process is searching for the files to scan, it may stall on some Network drives that are not currently available for example.
In the meantime you should still be able to use VirtualDJ normally (browse other folders, load tracks etc...)

When you try to close VirtualDJ, it will try to cancel the scan, but if this takes too long (because the network didn't time-out yet) it is possible that you have to force quit virtualdj at that point.
The worst thing that happens when you have to do that is indeed that you lose the changes in settings done during that session.

Posted Thu 02 Apr 15 @ 6:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)