Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 crashed during performance - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is now getting silly.... im at a gig now, vdj just failed again same thing, program just dissapeared 4 times, came back no song playing, so embarrasing, any clues ? Im running 2139...
rgd
bill

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:54 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You seem to be experiencing a crash in your video card driver (nvd3dum.dll). A couple of things to try:

Try using the default skin and seeing how you get on.
Check your video card driver version - change it out for a different version.
Use a monitoring app to watch your GPU temps in case it's overheating due to clogged up cooling.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 7:04 pm
Sounds like nvidea driver issue. What computer are you using and what video card does it have

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 8:01 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
SBDJ wrote :
Use a monitoring app to watch your GPU temps in case it's overheating due to clogged up cooling.

This is good, but I would find some compressed air anyway and try to blow out the dust ahead of time. No sense in the wait and see approach, I blow out mine every couple weeks and stuff always comes out. Best not to let it build up. Then monitor with GPU Z after to see if temps are still an issue.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 9:28 pm
Sorry to hear about your issues at live events. I can feel your pain, but only to a point. I don't know you so do not take this personal. You have some big gigs today and tomorrow. You need to make some decisions about the equipment you are going to use. If you heard a rattle in your speakers, or one of the channels on your mixer went in and out, would you use any of these at a big event? Of course not. I don't know if it's your video card or not, but that is what the crash report says. You need to think about another computer, or a quick stop to your repair guy (I have one on retainer, along with an attorney and bails bondsman). I would not take a chance on this machine, and you really need a backup. If my machine crashes, and I don't know the reason, I do not wait for the second crash. I can only swallow embarrassment once a night, and it is very hard that time. You also have to think about your client, and their guess. On the other hand, what if it's the software? Have you tried to go back to Ver 7? Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 12:28 am
Many thanks for all your suggestions, very helpful. The laptop is an Acer with i5 proc and Nvid GeForce, nothing else is running except VDJ8, its only about 5 mths old. I do monitor the temp plus have a large cooler pad, temp is normally around 71deg C throughout the gigs. Strange thing is that this hasn't happened for months, nothing changed and originally I thought using betas (2162) was the cause, but 2139 did it last night.

The gig yesterday was a rock night, about 80% were not video, so between just used a video overlay, plus it always seems to happen when nothing is being touched, ie, halfway through a song. I have seen that most videos and overlays are different screen sizes, and do recall a long long time ago, a similar auto restart scenario when VDJ switched resolutions, maybe its a video config parameter, ie, full screen ?

The hardware is still at the venue as I have another monster tonight, Ill try and get there early and have a good scour of the config, cooling, drivers etc.

Fingers, legs and everything else crossed !
Regards
Bill

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 4:20 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Did it crash on you with 2162?
Because this beta contains a fix for visualizations if you set one for audio files only.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 4:58 am
Hi, yes Im afraid it did. Initially 2162 was though to the the problem, unfortunately, regressing to 2139 caused exactly the same problem.

At tonight's gig Ill try the suggestions, ie, ) full video (0) in config, monitor temp on the GPU etc and let you know, remove 3D from Nvid. Have been reading on the nvid site, and the DLL is actually a cause for concern apparently, others report crashes on gaming etc on the same DLL.

Regards
Bill

Posted Fri 06 Mar 15 @ 7:12 am
OK, big sigh of relief... gig went fine last night from 7pm to 0500 (10 hours), here's what I did :

1. Used the Virtual DJ 7 skin with 2 decks instead of the MC6000 skin
2. Repositioned the laptop over the cooling pad fan directly, this knocked the temp down from 74 deg on average to 51 deg

It could have been either of these two do I'm going to test and run the MC6000 skin without he cooling pad adjustment and see what it does.
Interesting with this, because if I positioned the laptop centrally on the pad it was 74 deg, if I turned the fan off on the pad it was 68 deg, with the laptop offset on the pad, 51deg ! , seems the pad fan being on the side actually sucks the air out of the laptop inlet and makes it worse rather than better.

Posted Sat 07 Mar 15 @ 8:45 am
after testing, seems the MC6000 skin was the culprit, so reloaded 2162 and ran for 24hrs non stop with VDJ7 skin and no cooling pad, all is fine.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 7:36 am

Posted Sun 08 Mar 15 @ 8:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)