Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 crashed during performance - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

For the first time ever, I experienced 3 crashes of the virtualdj software last night (27/28 Feb) during a very full show, incredibly embarrassing...
On all occasions the software just shut down and restarted very quickly but the song playing stopped and a new song had to be restarted / entered.
The PC was connected to the internet so you may have crash logs. It runs on a dedicated laptop, windows 7, no other software installed, and connected to Denon MPC6000 +
Please advise how to resolve this, I have two very large venues next week (3000 + people) on the 6th/7th March.

Since using the software for months, this has never happened, and the software did an update just before the show, maybe this had something to do with it.

Regards
Bill

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:31 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The crash appeared in "nvd3dum.dll" which is part of the NVIDIA Windows WDDM driver. Did you use video in VirtualDJ ?

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:42 am
Thanks. Yes, I use video via HDMI to a ton of monitors.
What do you think I should do to resolve, update the video drivers ?
Rgds
Bill

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:47 am
Could you describe what you did when it appeared?

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:48 am
captainbill wrote :
the software did an update just before the show

Bad idea!

If you're doing important gigs and need reliability /stability, then it's best to either stick with the fully released non-beta versions or if you do use a beta, only use it live once you've run it for a while and are happy with it.

Turn off the beta updates unless you can trial the updates first, for at least a few days before a gig.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:52 am
VDJ8 was running in Automix with a mixture of video and non video songs, there were no effects running, video or otherwise. The crashes all happened whilst the entire system was unattended, ie, nothing on VDJ8 or the MC6000 was being touched, one of these times I had just popped to the loo and heard the music stop.. !

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:54 am
thanks groove,

are you saying that the updates that occur when I boot up before every gig are all beta ?

ouch.. if this is the case.... I thought they were all tried and tested updates..

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:57 am
Was it during a transition (video to video / video to audio / audio to video)?

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 7:57 am
believe it was just mid songs, as I wouldn't leave the start / finish unattended as many need to be mixed in / out manually

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 8:00 am
Check your account page here to see if "get beta builds" is ticked. If it is, then VDJ 8 will check for beta updates every time it starts (if it has net access) and pop up a message.

You don't have to click 'yes' on the dialog box!

There are two on/off options in config - one for getting beta builds and the other for checking for updates (which is presumably for release versions).

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 8:04 am
groov, your quite right... I had Beta builds ticked, its now un ticked, thanks for that !

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 8:07 am
Guess I should go back to 2139 to be safe. Is there a faq on how to do this without losing settings / config.
Thanks

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 9:20 am

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 9:23 am
Installing 2139 hopefully shouldn't erase any current settings, but if you want to be sure - take a backup of settings.xml and then once 2139 is in place, restore it.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 9:23 am
brilliant thanks, Ill do it now.. fingers crossed, gig in 4 hours

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 9:25 am
I usually just change the .exe but it's easier for most just installing.

I have done this a few times now and the settings are kept from one version to another.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 9:25 am
ok, all done, back to 2139 and running fine...

lesson learnt, thanks to all.
Rgds
Bill

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 11:37 am
You've tested it with video running from the HDMI output, same scenario as when it crashed?

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 11:45 am
HI, yep, its been running for a couple of hours now with the same scenario as before, but, my gig starts in 30 minutes (8pm) until 7am, that's 11 hours , so Ill send a report in the morning, if they have internet here, any crashes will be reported of course, but I have with me two pioneer VDJ's units as backup... something Ive never done for a long time.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 @ 12:21 pm
OK, for the entire night gig of 11 hours plus, the version 2139 did not fail at all, so it does point to ver 2158.945 as the cause.

But, on loading today, VDJ advised a new version, and as I no longer have Beta ticked, and the option set to No in the config, I went ahead and accepted the download... but, it seems to be Beta version 2162.945 ?

Do I have to regress again to get back to 2139 ? Why did it suggest a download ?

Rgds

Bill

Posted Sun 01 Mar 15 @ 11:51 am
65%