Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Novation launch control

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i can't get vdj8 to see my new Novation launch control
any ideas?

PS its working fine in ableton live

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 4:01 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 4:43 pm
thank you but the problem isn't the existence of a mapper the problem is its not showing in my controler list to be able to map it thought it would since like u say there are mapper for version 7

first time i hooked it up i got a popup saying -> you just connected a.
didn't say what i connected i see under the setting for controller notifications DDJERGO, LAUNCHCONTROL but nothing in the controllers mapping section for it not even generic midi

would be great to be able to map all those knobs

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:03 pm
does it make any difference if you only connect the Launch Control (an no other MIDI device) ?
Can you see how the unit is detected (its name) in Audio Midi Setup ? (Applications->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup .. from the top menu choose View ..Show MIDI window)

EDIT. Sorry, the 2nd line is referred to Mac OSX. If you have Windows, see if the unit is properly detected in Devices Manager.

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:11 pm
makes no difference if i connect it by itself

and it shows up in devices as launch control

like i said works in ableton live it wouldn't if it was defective or not being identified by the pc

thanks for you help .. any other ideas

also it seems vdj8 put a mapper file in devices on its own for it weird weird weird

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:20 pm
download and install the custom mapping from the link i gave you in my 1st post.
You should then see a LaunchControl.xml file in /Devices and a LaunchControl mapping.xml file in /Mappers folder.

It certainly needs a mapping.xml file or else the unit may not appear in the Controllers list.

If the above dont help still, try to open the LaunchControl.xml file from /Devices with a Text Editor and edit the 2nd line as...
<device name="LAUNCHCONTROL" sysexid="F07E??0602002029340000000001????F7" description="LaunchControl" author="SuperAceMan" type="MIDI" decks="1" vid="0x1235" pid="0x0034">

If still an issue....
- Open VirtualDJ 8, goto OPTIONs, set the CreateMidiLog setting to Yes (its in the Advanced Options) and close VDJ
- Open again (no need to do anything else) and close once more.
- Post here the content of the Log Report.txt file you will find in /VirtualDJ folder.

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:24 pm
ok the mapper dl got it going but just a fyi i hooked it to my other laptop and it showed up right off without the mapper installed and i was able to map it

thanks for you time and help i should be good now

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:39 pm
Most likely your other computer didnt have any Launch Control files in Devices folder, so it was detected as "Simple Midi".
If you try to use the unit as Simple Midi, you wont get the Leds working, so try my suggestions as above and see if the files are placed properly.

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 5:53 pm
will do thanks again

back to mapping my butt off :-)

Posted Sat 07 Feb 15 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)