Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 - bad VU-meter calibration?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

LudekPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have all my tracks normalized in mp3gain to 90 dB and disabled autoGain in VDJ and in Serato. I have next mixpult
behind DDJ-SX2 as external HW Vu-meter.

In Serato: http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/Vu_meter_Serato.mov (150 MB video file)

As you can see and hear, both tracks plays with the same loudness (around 0 dB at the external VU-meter) and both tracks
show on DDJ-SX2 Vu-meter correct and the same values - 6 or 7 LEDs are flashing.

And now in Virtual DJ 8: http://www.ludekbudin.cz/files/Vu_meter_VDJ8.mov (155 MB video file)

Again, both tracks plays with the same loudness (around 0 dB at the external VU meter), but first track show on the DDJ-SX2
VU-meter 8-9 flashing LEDs and next track show only 2-3 LEDs....

Any ideas? Maybe bad VDJ's VU-meter calibration? I need a better accuracy for VU-meter in the VDJ8.
(...sorry for my bad english and too large video files in my links.. :)

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 6:08 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Could you please try the following...

Use MIDI OX (http://www.midiox.com/ or a similar application) and try to send ..
B0 02 xx
where xx could be 00 to 7F (hexadecimal) . What is the smallest xx value where all Leds of the SX2 VU meter light up ?

EDIT.. maybe miss-understood.. You re saying that with 1 track the Leds show what they should, but then if you try a different track the Leds show that it plays very low ?
Btw, normalizing tracks is a bad idea. Could cause more troubles than good.

Can you upload 2 of those tracks ?

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 3:29 pm
You have link in PM.
Both tracks are normalized to 90 dB in MP3Gain. As you can see, there is VU-meter difference in the VDJ skin too. But Serato shows their loudness in the skin or in the controller VU-meter correctly (the same level). Autogain is disabled in VDJ8 and in Serato too.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 4:12 pm
Ok received the files.

What is the Gain value you see on the deck when those 2 files play ?
What i get here is -7db when loaded for the first time.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 4:13 pm
-6,5 and -6,7 dB

edit: after setting gain knobs exactly to 0,00 dB:
-6,8 and -7,0 dB

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 4:16 pm
I dont think that it has something to do with how VDJ handles the Gain or how the Vumeters are optimized. Mostly it has to do with how the mp3Gain has treated the level through out the track.
I can see a small difference here..so if i put both tracks to play at the original level, without altering the Gain of the software, i see both tracks to output at almost the same level, but still depends on the part of the track i choose.

If had a way to count the "average" output level, then both tracks probably have the same value. One track seems to play at a more "constant" value, and the other track seems to have higher peaks , but if could calculate an average value, it would still be the same one.. So again, i think the normalization is probably the issue here.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 5:42 pm
Yes, but why with the same part of the tracks shows Serato almost the same Vu-meter level and VDJ shows these part of the tracks with 6 LED difference? It is clearly visible in videos in my first post.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 5:55 pm
When the 2nd track was playing, you had the Gain knob on the DDJ at about 2 o clock. Was the Gain knob of VirtualDJ at the same position ?

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 5:58 pm
I set the controller gain knob to "zero" level for first track in both programs for better compare. (All green LEDs Light up and first yellow LED flashing.) But gain knob settings is for both tracks in one program the same.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 6:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)