Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VMS4.1 ASIO drivers not playing nice?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi folks,

Has anybody else here had any issues running VDJ8 with the VMS4.1 controller, particularly when playing videos? It's a problem I've had an and off ever since the launch of version 8. I can be happily mixing away, all of a sudden, the sound disappears completely. Everything still responds - I have MIDI control, even the VU lights on screen are still bouncing away, but there is no sound getting to my controller. Sometimes loading a track onto the other deck will bring back audio, sometimes restarting the playing track will kick it into life, but more often than not, VDJ needs restarting to get things working again. I haven't been able to pinpoint anything in particular that causes the audio dropout - sometimes it happens the moment I play a sample, sometimes when I load a track, or sometimes mid-playback when I wasn't touching anything.

I've tried re-installing VDJ, I've tried re-installing the ASIO drivers. I've tried various latency and performance settings, I've even tried different USB cables and USB ports, all to no avail. However, one thing that I have tried that seems to work so far (touch wood) is setting the VMS4.1 up in the audio config to use WASAPI drivers instead of ASIO. Been messing about for over an hour now loading, cueing, scratching, playing samples and generally putting it through its paces, and no audio trouble so far. Are there any known issues with American Audio's ASIO drivers and version 8?

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 2:56 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Windows 8.1 ? USB 3.0 ?
Computer Specs ?

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:40 pm
It's a Lenovo quad core i7, with 8GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT650M graphics, running under Windows 8. It has USB 2 & 3 ports, currently running the VMS4.1 on the USB2 port, although had the same problem with USB3. So yeah, not top of the range, but not cheap supermarket rubbish either.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:47 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
When the drop happens, do you get any pop-up message at the systray (i.e. New device detected VMS4.1 ..or similar) ?

Have you ever run LatencyMon to see if your computer is well optimized ?

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:51 pm
Nope, never seen any messages like that, and it seems unlikely to be a mechanical problem with the USB connection, as the controller is still responsive, all the lights still work, as do buttons and faders. Ran the latency monitor thingy a few months back, all was ticking along fine.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 3:55 pm
Still, if it runs reliably under the WASAPI drivers, I can live with that. Was curious to know if anybody else had the same problem, or whether it's just something weird going on with my particular configuration. C'est la vie.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 4:11 pm
a friend of mine is currently having issues with vms 4.1 on windows 8.1, sound channels keep popping up all over the place, deck 1 & 2 which should be on channels 2 &3 of the vms even though allocated correctly, assign to channel 3 for deck 1 and deck 2 does not even assign to a channel on the vms, i think it's the asio drivers could be the problem, had issues with a 19mxr on win8 that after numerous attempts of loading the asio drivers they did not register in vdj, personally i use both vms4.1 & 19mxr with no issues but i'm on mac

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 4:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)