Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Help with USB conflict

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Guys needing some help with an issue that's cropped up. Running VDJ 8 with an Xone K2 usb controller on Windows 8.1.

I'm a mobile DJ and sound engineer to solo artists and bands. I was hoping to slim down on my rig so tonight I tried to use my Motu Ultralite Mk3 usb audio interface in conjunction with VDJ8 and K2 controller. From VDJ8 is was using the K2 sound card and hard wired sound output into the Ultralite Mk3. This would allow me to have multipul in/outputs for the sound techy stuff and still have reasonable DJ capabilities too.

The problem I have is VDJ8 freezes up any time the Motu Ultralite is plugged into my laptop. I have tried all different ways of opening the applications in different orders but as soon as the Ultralite is turned on VDJ freezes up, turn it off, problem solved.

Is there a way for VDJ8 to ignore all other usb devices connected to my laptop apart from my K2 to resolve this? It's either a usb device conflict or a sound card one, either way I don't need VDJ to recognise the device.

p.s. all drivers are up to date and loving VDJ 8

Craig.

Posted Fri 07 Nov 14 @ 3:02 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If the Ultralite Mk3 is detected as MIDI (you see the device in the Controllers tab) and this creates any issues, then you can set this device to "Ignore" from the Mappings drop down menu

Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 @ 4:45 am
Thanks for the reply.

Problem I have is that it crashes the instant it's turned on, I'm not getting a chance to do anything in VDJ. Is it possible to script some? a way of completely ignoring the Ultralite, all midi signals and sound card too.

I'm thinking of ditching the Ultralite if we can't sort, it's been a bad buy from the start, my only worry is that I might have a similar problem with a new digital mixer.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 @ 11:16 am
Hi I have just got the same problem - been running Motu Ultralite Mk3 with no issues on VDJ 7 and more recently VDJ8 - all fine until today when VDJ did its usual update routine - since that update VDJ8 freezes (ie becomes a non-responding program) if the motu is powered up - switch off and restart VDJ and all is well - as the initial post nothing I have tried helps and as I can't access the setup options I cant see what VDJ is doing that may cause the lock up - even reinstalled VDJ8 from scratch but same problem. I assume that something in todays update has caused the issue but what?

Regards

DJDoc

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 8:18 am
Just checked, following my last post, and it has had the same effect on another PC which was fine with the same configuration 2 days ago ie the upgrade build 2179.954 stops VDJ working with the Motu attached to the PC where it was happy before - tried downloading VDJ8 again hoping that it might still be the previous build but too late it has been updated on the site also so it seems I am stuck unless someone has an answer - I assume the explanation is somewhere in whatever was altered in the update to VDJ8 in this last build?

Regards

DJDoc

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 11:06 am
You're not stuck. Just reinstall the previous beta.

If your machine is "mission critical" then it's best not to use betas. Unsubscribe from beta updates and just use release versions.

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 1:34 pm
Thanx for the reply - not aware that I was getting the Beta Versions or how to stop them - the version I have on now is just downloaded fresh from the Atomix site as a new install as part of my working out where the problem lay - ie the download I assumed anyone would get if downloading VDJ8 for the first time - probably being dumb how would I get back to the older release I was using before the problems?
Out of interest I dug out my old PC I was using months back running build 1897.765 which has been out of use but is kept as emergency backup in case of just such problems and this works fine with the Motu hybrid which sort of proves that its not a co-incidental hardware conflict.

DJDoc

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 9:40 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 10:04 pm
Thank you - will have a look - off on a conference with my day job for a few days so will be the weekend before I can try this and report if it fixes the issue.

DJD

Posted Tue 24 Mar 15 @ 4:41 am
Hi again,
tried downloading the previous build as suggested but the link says " no longer valid " for any build number that I try so stumped again. Of course I am guessing at the previous build I had installed but anything I try which seem logical build numbers get the same no longer valid response. The current build number is 2179.954 and I am looking to go back at least one update to see if this corrects my locking up problems.

DJDoc

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 1:12 pm

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 1:30 pm
DjDoc you've got more patience than me, my motu is now in digital mixer heaven after it decided to fly out my studio window.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 15 @ 5:33 pm
Wondered if you had managed to find a way around this Bigchap88 - oddly reverting to a previous version of VDJ has not done the trick so it is rather puzzling as the motu still works on the other PCs fine and with any other music and DJ software. I don't actually use it for gigs but it is plumbed into my home sound system /PC and controlled remotely via an iPad app meaning we can have Karaoke etc at house parties without a lot of kit knocking about.

I have created a support ticket in the hope that someone at Atomix can sort out this conflict but as it only seems to be a problem with this piece of hardware I guess it won't be worth their time.

DjDoc

Posted Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 12:47 am
Try different ways to start up VDJ and motu - motu then vdj, vdj then motu, vdj (motu on) then plug in usb of motu, and the same not connected to a wifi network. What your trying to do is get both of them being on and connected without an immediate crash. If it gives you enough time with one of these variations before crashing, go to settings, under controllers select the motu then under the right hand drop down box select ignore and save.

There seems to be some conflict with the vdj trying to connect the motu as a controller.

Forgot to say, when trying all this have all the osc settings in the cuemix fx software off, i.e. stop cuemix actively looking for a route of connection to your ipad.

Hope this helps. If not, second hand sell price for the motu is quite good, and have a look at Behringers XR12 as a replacement.

Posted Tue 31 Mar 15 @ 12:52 pm
Well got it working at last - having found that rolling back the build did not work I installed VDJ7 and this also didn't work with the motu connected and powered up - a clean install of the older build of VDJ8 on a virtually identical office PC worked fine with the motu - this suggested that uninstalling the latest build of VDJ8 had not actually uninstalled all components added in the last update ie there would appear to be a shared DLL or shared third party component added and used by VDJ but not removed on a full uninstall and it would be this upsetting the motu/vdj software combination. I used a windows system restore point which seems to have removed this residual component and this along with the previous build of VDJ is, as before, now fine with the motu attached. I have disabled VDJ updates and guess I will have to live without updates when using this hardware which is a shame having paid for a lifetime licence.
I will put this info on the ticket I have raised on the forum as it is possible that the component is not vital for VDJ or maybe even motu would like to know it upsets what is a current piece of hardware they are selling world wide.

DJDoc

Posted Thu 02 Apr 15 @ 3:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)