Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Song playing but not on any deck

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I had a song start playing on its own, no decks were playing, prelisten was not visible and keyboard shortcuts are disabled. I had been using automix for about 40 min. just before that. I was using my CDJ-400 to control the automix deck (deck 3). The song that was playing (Don't Stop The Party - Pitbull) had not been in the list, nor was it slected or even in the current browser view. I don't know how I can help troubleshoot if this happens again. I am using the external mixer configuration with an Audio 6.Only decks 1, 2, and 3 are set up as outputs. The song was coming out of the deck 3 output. At the time automix was inactive and a different track was loaded (Bounce Generation - TJR). I had to wait for the incorrect song to finish before I had control with my CDJ and could play the proper song. The only thing I could think that would have affected this was that I hit the source select button on the CDJ (USB/CD) and then put it back on USB (PC).

Edit: I was incorrect about it being in the browser view. It was at the top of the search. Now I wonder if Prelisten was active some how. Is it possible to activate it while it's not visible?

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 6:36 am
YES, this happened to me. Drag a song to either player and it just starts playing. No decks are moving... the song just plays.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 8:23 am
This was a little different. I had ejected the track that was playing from automix. All of the decks were empty. The song started playing. Then, I loaded the song I wanted to play into deck 3. I could not play it until the unintentional song was finished.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 1:48 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Yes the prelisten player can be activated, even if its not visible. If keyboard was disabled, then probably the prelisten started from your controller. Can you check the mapping file and see if any related action is assigned by mistake ?

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 1:52 pm
With that setup I am using timecoded CDJ1000's with an audio 6, a CDj400 with default mapping, and an Orbit with default mapping (exempt for the cross fader entries were changed to video crossfader. I will check their default mapping when I get home. I am guessing there is no option to disable the prelisten.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 3:43 pm
This is happening to me as well with the new build 2003.828. As soon as I move down the Up or Down from the Hercules Console and it comes on a different track that song starts to play in the prelisten but I cannot see it. The same happens when I put my mouse on top of a new track it starts to play as well.
To stop it I have to click on it.

This is very disturbing. How to stop it?

Why do we have surprises with every new build?

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 4:02 pm
I did not see any prelisten commands in the mapping for the Numark Orbit or the Pioneer CDJ-400. My keyboard is still set to ignore. I am using the 4 deck swap skin. I am using the 2003.828 build.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 6:10 pm
***HUGE DEAL... load a track, it automatically starts and I have no idea where it is playing or how to stop it. Load another track and it does the same thing.

Prelisten is turned off.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 6:26 pm
djmagicmoments wrote :
Prelisten is turned off.

It's not possible to turn it off.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 6:34 pm
You can try to add Preview to the Audio Setup and assign e.g. your built -in sound card for that, or even a ghost Channel output.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 7:16 pm
I am trying to think how the Prelisten Player could be activated.
As far as i know there are only 2 options..
1. Press that green play button on the Info window of the Browser.
2. Use the prelisten action (assigned to any controller or keyboard button)
and came up with another 3rd, kinda rare case, that could of course happen. Which skin do you use ? Reason asking is because, there could be a buggy skin , with a prelisten action assigned to a button, that could be triggered by mistake.. so we will have to check too.

If anyone can come up with steps to reproduce that of course, it would be helpful.

Posted Thu 16 Oct 14 @ 7:34 pm
I have mapped my headphone to my internal now so that I could hear the editor, I assume the prelisten will go there as well. I'll try to recreate it later tonight. I wonder if anyone else was using automix, what skin they were using, build, etc. I believe I was scrolling through a content unlimited search at the time. The song that it played was at the top of the list.

Unfortunatly I was caught off gaurd when it happened so I don't remember the order of things I was doing.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 9:14 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
There is an issue in the current build that if you use the listen function in an editor window (then close that editor without stopping the listen) it will activate prelisten in the browser.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 11:12 am
Prelistenstop on change or somthing along those line if set to yes fixes the issue for me ...... Will look what the exact setting is when I get home later

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 11:27 am
Scott, that is possibly what I ran into. I know I was trying out the POI editor some time around then. I just can't remember if it was before or after my issue. I do know that stopping the prelisten on browser change is set to no on mine.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 12:44 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Changing it to yes should help to alleviate this for now.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 1:04 pm
DjDad, I am using the default 4 deck skin. I think it might have something to do with the sample editor. As that was what I was doing, creating loops, when things started to play only by selecting a track.

After I closed Vdj and started it up again it was playing normally till I went to edit the samples again and the prelisten kicks in by it's own.

Please have this checked and fixed asap. From the comments I see I am not the only one having the *issue*.

Is there a way to downgrade back to the previous working build, so the one before the last update, as I did not had the issue with that one.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 6:28 pm
@El Sabroson

prelistenStopOnChange set to YES

should help you out with the issue

Posted Fri 17 Oct 14 @ 7:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)