Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Local BPM - what exactly?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Since 2003 mentioned this, I am assuming it adjusts for non EDM style beats and adjusts the CBG accordingly for loops.

Does that mean we need to rescan?

Second, how can we use the instrumentals (samples) to stay in step w/ the wavering track?

Thanks!

Posted Tue 14 Oct 14 @ 11:26 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
This is actually for the tracks that you have set an additional Beatgrid anchor in the BPM Editor. So lets say you have a track that starts at 100BPM but from one point the track becomes 150BPM.
With the previous behavior, if you were triggering a 4 beat loop in the second part, it would actually trigger a 6 beat loop, as the beat of the track had different size in that part.
Build 2003 implements this, so it will still correctly trigger the loop based on the local BPM (the value that the track has at that point , based on your adjustments you have done in the BPM Editor)
However, there is currently a bug , which makes the above not working well, and it will be fixed in next build.

Posted Tue 14 Oct 14 @ 11:38 am
ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
I see many people mess up with the the term "local bpm".
I think "Actual" or "Live BPM" describes it better...
It's only the BPMs that are currently "playing", because as DJ Dad already mentioned there are songs that have variable BPMs.

Posted Tue 14 Oct 14 @ 2:24 pm
Chreece wrote :
I think "Actual" or "Live BPM" describes it better...

No, it doesn't sound as if it is actual or live, from what djdad has just said.

As was previously the case, it's still directly linked to the beat grid - so it's not live (from the waveform).

It will only display a change in tempo if you have "taught" that change to the beat grid by adding new anchors where it changes.

Very time consuming to have to do that for every fluctuating track manually.

It's a shame. The beat grid would benefit from being smarter, so if there is a change in tempo, VDJ detects it and adds a new anchor automatically.

Posted Tue 14 Oct 14 @ 2:57 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
That would be super cool and useful.

Posted Tue 14 Oct 14 @ 5:02 pm
I've just spent about half an hour adding additional beat grid anchors to a track and trying out this new "local BPM" thing....

It works. The tempo displayed on the deck now "jumps" to a new BPM when it reaches a point where the beat grid changes. Sampled loops follow the changes.

The down side is that it takes forever to manually go through and add the damn anchors and, unless you've been meticulous, the loops don't sync that well.

In most cases, drum loops are short - maybe one or two bars, so unless you are placing anchors and adjusting the CBG at that same interval, the beats between your anchors shift around.

Don't get me wrong. It's better than the fixed grid of VDJ 7. It would just be nice if it didn't involve so much manual intervention.

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 9:16 am
"Variable" tempo is different than "Unsteady" tempo.

A track has variable tempo when different parts of the song feature different, but steady tempo. (E.g.: Deep Purple - Child In Time)

On the other hand a track has unsteady tempo when the tempo does not stay steady among different parts of the song but has small fluctuations. That's very common between tracks recorded/produced with a human drummer instead of a drum machine.

Fixing "unsteady" tracks can be a real pain. However adjusting "variable" tracks is not that difficult. In most case you would need 2 or 3 markers .

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 9:51 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Fixing "unsteady" tracks can be a real pain.

In VDJ, with the current method - yes.

It doesn't have to be though. Look at what's being analysed already in VDJ 8.

It's detecting the tempo and the key. It's adding automix markers and remix points. The next step would be to give the tempo analysis some intelligence.

The tempo is basically the distance between waveform peaks and/or between beat grid markers. If the analysis checked the distance between markers, then it could add a new anchor each time the distance changed. Ideally the sensitivity would be adjustable, so you could have a smaller or greater number of markers per bar.

Perhaps best not to have it as the default BPM scanning mode, but to have it as an option so it would work when pressing the 'Variable BPM' button.

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 10:16 am
I've been noticing that the sampler kick drums get wacked out on some tracks. I try to re-start the sample, but it does not begin on the "one" count. It will begin on the "two" or "three.

It is not correctable. And sounds horrible.

Please force the samplers to start on the "one" beat. And also allow for a pitch bend (+,-). Sometimes there is a slight delay. We need a way to tweak the sync better.

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 10:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)