Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Loop in VDJ 8 vs. Loop in VDJ 7 - Question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In VDJ 8, when you activate a loop in the middle of a song, stop the song, then replay the song, and reach that point in the track, the loop will resume. In VDJ 7, if you were to perform the same steps, the loop does not resume. I can see how this might be a feature for some and even be considered as 'working as intended'. That said, is there a way to disable this behavior without having to manually loop out before you stop the song. The use case here is for pulling up a track AKA replaying a song after looping.

Reproduction Steps:
1. Press 'Play' button
2. Activate loop (e.g. 8 beat loop) somewhere in the middle of the song
3. Press 'Cue' button
4. Press 'Play' button again on same track. Notice that when it gets to the highlighted loop portion from Step 2, it continues to loop over this portion until the loop is deactivated. Is there any way to turn off this behavior without deactivating the loop. This is in contrast to VDJ 7, where this behavior did not exist or that very least could be toggled on/off.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 1:21 pm
play_mode : set the mode for play/stop/cue buttons: 'play_mode "numark"', or 'play_mode "pioneer"'.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 2:38 pm
Thanks for the response. Tried your suggestion by adding a keyboard shortcut for both the numark and pioneer modes, then activated them, but can't say I noticed anything different with regards to the actual looping situation...

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 3:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The setting LoopAutomove may then provide the behavior you seek for. Set it to No.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 4:33 pm
Thanks. Actually, I already reviewed the advanced options for loop related parameters and 'loopAutoMove' is already set to 'no'. When it is set to 'yes' and you have a loop active in a track, if you seek backward/forward into the track the loop will remain active and loop at that new point in the song. When it is set to 'no' this behavior won't occur if you seek FORWARD into the track --- seeking FORWARD will effectively perform a loop out. This would be perfect, except the same behavior doesn't apply when you seek backwards or hit the cue button. Instead, in these cases, once you reach the point in the song where you last looped, it then continues to loop at that point until you explicitly loop out.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 4:49 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I had to read your original post again, to realize that what you ask is not a behavior that can be turned off. And personally, i find the current behavior very logical. Why would someone want to automatically turn off a loop if he has activated ?

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 5:05 pm
As mentioned in my original post as well, I could see the logic behind this. However, since this behavior existed in VDJ 7, I was just curious whether there was some way to activate it in VDJ 8. Since you confirmed there is not, I can stop my mad search... :)

To your question about why someone might want to do that, consider the scenario where a DJ is in the middle of a song, has a loop going, and then 'pulls up the track' (pardon the slang) to have it start again from the beginning. In VDJ 7, pulling the track up would result in that loop effectively 'looping out'. In VDJ 8, when the track finally catches up to the point that it was originally looping at before you pulled it up, it resumes looping at that point --- not something the DJ intended. That said, this is easily solved by just remembering to loop out after you pull the track up. I was just wondering whether VDJ 8 had an option for it...Thanks for the reply.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 6:18 pm
This seems like it might be related to the new method of "track reloading" in VDJ 8.

Apparently now a track is not reloaded on a deck when you drag and drop the same track again - unless you either unload it first or load another track.

Posted Mon 13 Oct 14 @ 9:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)