Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ 8 4 Deck UI - Move Loop Option

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In the VDJ 8 4 Deck UI, there does not appear to be a knob to move the loop backwards or forwards while a loop is active. This is in contrast to the 2 Deck UI that provides a 360-knob labeled 'MOVE LOOP'. First, does this knob exist in the 4 Deck UI and perhaps I missed it? Second, since the 4 Deck UI does have the ability to assign custom actions, is there a 360-knob that can be used? (Currently, there appears to be 2 buttons and one 180-knob)

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 12:42 pm
Use the custom knob

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 1:48 pm
Appreciate the response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the custom-knob available in the UI would either let you move the loop forward OR backward, not both. So for example, you could assign the following action 'loop_move +10ms', but then you'd have no way to move the loop backward unless you had another knob, which there is not. One alternative might be to write a macro to detect if the knob is turned counterclockwise vs. clockwise then take the appropriate action, but not sure if there is a 'verb' in the documentation that lets you detect which way the knob is turned. To be clear, the 2-Deck UI does have this ability, so is there a way to activate this in the 4-Deck mode?

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 2:21 pm
If the 2 deck skin has it, then clearly it can be coded and assigned to a knob.

The action is "loop move". In the 2 deck skin the knob is defined as knob_infinite, but that's not defined in the 4 deck skin so would have to be added.

Could be done with a bit of copy/pasting.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 2:56 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
You can also change the mode of the jogwheel. So use a custom button, assign it as ..
wheel_mode 'jog,loop_move' +1
which will toggle the behavior of the jogwheel from to jog to loop move, and use the jogwheel to move the loop.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 4:35 pm
@djdad - Thanks for this. I modified your string to: wheel_mode 'loop_move'. This way, when you activate the button it lights up letting you know that 'loop_move' is currently active. When you disable it, the wheel_move returns to normal. If we use the +1 option to choose between jog and loop_move the button doesn't light up. This means you might get into a scenario where you don't know which state the jogwheel is in, which could lead to inadvertent scratches in the song if you wanted to use the wheel for a loop_move. Thanks for leading me to the right answer.

Thanks to everyone else on this thread for their reply as well.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 5:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)