Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Sound crack every now and then on playback - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi Guys,

I have a tascam usb 100 soundcard/interface as my master soundcard and use a jb systems dj-kontrol 2 as a controller. I have vdj8 set up as two soundcards, one as master(Tascam) and jb as the headphone. Everything works fine on vdj8 apart from the odd millisecond break in my radio shows and gigs.

Laptop is a Samsung notebook 3530ec, I5 processor with 6gb ram, running all my music off an external hard drive through a usb 3 hub and hard drive. My latency is auto 512.

I run windows 8.1, have all tiles shut down, virus chk shut down, windows update shut down, windows uac shut down, windows error report shut down and i run the vdj optimizer before the start. When tracks are playing the cpu level just flickers on 1 bar and when loading it goes to just below half and back to flicker on 1 bar so its defo not cpu shortage. I have the track load up setting as low to.

I have my power setting for max performance, basically i have followed your performance guides and Tuneup utilities has turned off visual features and wallpaper etc to maximise use.

I wonder whether it is the sound card or latency. Can anyone give me a pointer as to what it could be as i love vdj8 but about once or twice every radio show i get a clip on sound. I do use a tiny software recorder for recording and recording levels called butt, but it has about 0.1% on resource so it cant be that.

Thanks loads if you can help.

Posted Thu 25 Sep 14 @ 2:43 pm
turn off wifi, if this doesn't fix it..run latencymon

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 7:54 am
Thanks loads for your reply Dasouth. I already had my wifi off and latency mon says your system appears to be suitable for handling real time audio and other tasks.

I run my audio interface through a mixer and use my controller as the headphones output. I use shark 007 audio codec pack for windows 8. Its really bizzare, everything is flying and you just get one or no dropouts. Shall i change my latency to something like 600? I don't do scratching but i do beat mix and use effects.

Thanks again for your reply.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:02 am
Tascam usb 100 sound card runs off plain usb codec drivers, no designated driver for the hardware.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:06 am
600 does sound very high, you could try it to see if the pop goes away, it will affect your mixing ability imo
did you try latencymon while playing hte music untill you heard a drop-out?

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:07 am
I didnt do that but it only happens every now and then. I would be waiting a long time for a drop out. what is the best performnce/safe latency setting you think i should set? Then ill set it to your recommendation and report back.

Really appreciate your help.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:18 am
Mine is set to automatic (256)
ultralatency = yes
but I use a maya44 usb with timecodevinyls
I also use the asiodriver
I'm guessing you have the latest drivers for your soundcard

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:21 am
There are no drivers for the tascam usb 100. It just uses stock built in usb codec drivers. The asio driver wont work in my setup. My latency was set to 512 auto. I presume lowering that wont help? My system certainly seems to have the power and right latency graph on latency mon.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:38 am
have you considered trying asio4all?
Lowering should only make the problem worse if it is indeed a latency issue
lowering means less time between input & output so same amount of work in less time

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:48 am
Hi,

I have tried asio for all i can get sound but the way my sound card is configured for recording i cant get any recording levels through. Its a nightmare to experiment with so i thought id stick to what i know.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 8:55 am
you would need to configure butt to use the asio4all also for that to work

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 11:10 am
Hi,

Butt doesn't give me the option to choose asio for all, still only default device or usb codec are the only options.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 11:20 am
i just installed asio4all & used it on my internal soundcard in vdj
installed butt, selected my internal soundcard & it get's input lvl so..

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 11:31 am
Managed to get asio4all working, only by chance. I have settings in vdj as master soundcard asio4all channel usb codec 1&2 (Thats my tascam us 100 interface)
Headphones , soundcard is asio4all channel is jb systems dj kontrol 1 & 2 (My controller). Butt is picking everything up for recording.

SHall i give this a go and report back? Must say asio4all version is a beta 2.11, will that be ok? Thanks so much for your patience on this.

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 12:20 pm
yes pls, keep this settings to test & you're welcome

Posted Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 3:10 pm
Hey, did the asio4all fix your problem or are you still testing?
Das

Posted Tue 30 Sep 14 @ 5:52 am
Still testing da south but so far so good!!

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 11:26 am
Keep it that way :D

Posted Wed 01 Oct 14 @ 1:24 pm
Just done a show and it has done it again! Asio4all drivers all set up everything set up like previous posts....So frustrating!!!! It seems a lot better when loading stuff up but i reckon its when im flicking through tracks to play on the pre player on the right hand side , it happened as i was flicking through the tracks.
I did have ultra latency on as yes, going to turn that to no now.

Ant other suggestions? My laptop is a Samsung 3530ec note book. Do you know of any problems with this model and virtual dj?

Thanks if you can help.

Posted Thu 02 Oct 14 @ 1:31 pm
I do have my ethernet cable plugged in to the computer when i play but i dont use the internet, do you think i should unplug this to before doing a show?

Posted Thu 02 Oct 14 @ 1:32 pm
54%