Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Slicer not working when pitch quality == 0

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Win 1949

The slicer when pitch quality == 0 doesn't work for me, I'm not sure if this is a bug or my craptop or just the way it is.
I only discovered this as a symptom, and it took a virus scan, system restore and then a good nose about the settings.xml, to spot that pitch quality wasn't at it's usual 2.

I don't need pitch q == 0 so it isn't a problem.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 10:31 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I cant find a reason why Slicer wouldnt work with pitch quality 0 (pure scratch). Reported.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 8:28 pm
Thanks for the reply.
I was entertaining the idea it was my low spec causing it.
But if it is reportable (and evident on better machines than mine), loop roll effect can also sound bad with pitch quality 0 (for the first few rolls) Oddly more evident on deck 1 than any of the others.
This really could be my crappy laptop.

Again not usually an issue for me, just something I notice by accident.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 9:49 pm
I have an i7 both Mac and PC and the loop roll effect sounds like trash on either machine. I really wish it was gone but that's not my call, either way I don't think it's your machine I believe it's the effect, it's horrible!!

As for the slicer, I even really know how to use it so I don't but I'll change some settings and see if I get the same results.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 7:07 am
That's the nature of the bug, (I'd imagine that you use pitch quality 0 for TC) on pitch quality 1 or 2 they sound fine.
The slicer is well worth a play, and loop roll as an effect is really good/better than V7 as it is much more flexible (A thing to try is a 3/4 loop roll but 1/2 the track bpm, then you get loop roll 1 1/2, which works great with syncopated styles ( like breakbeat & drum and bass) it breaks the 4/4 monotony.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 10:37 am
Got any links for any Slicer tutorials??

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 11:31 am
Not really
Think of the slicer as a on the fly automatic 8 channel sampler for short samples.
When you turn it on you have 8 very short samples on 8 buttons when it gets beyond the 8th sample it rerecords the next 8 samples
Turn the effect on turn the step size to 1 turn the length to 1 and click and hold one of the gui buttons numbered 1-8,
length controls the sample length, step size dictates how quickly it resamples, lock stops it resampling.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 12:57 pm
I found this and that's sick!!

If ours is anything like that I'm all over it!!!

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 1:42 pm
Yeah it does that, your pioneer SP1 (or what ever it is) will be well suited to that.

Although you not realising we've had this (since V8 day 1) shows how bad atomix self promotion actually is.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 2:18 pm
Haha, I knew we had just didn't know what it did, lol!!

And yeah it is mapped on my DDJ SP1. I'm gonna try it out tonight.

Thanks for helping to open my eye!!

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 2:49 pm
I do like the mute sample part, that must be some how 'on-the-flyable'

And yes it is!

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 3:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)