Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: When will the low hanging fruit issues be fixed?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
There's a number of low hanging fruit issues such as the expand/collapse indicators not appearing, BPM text alignment, clearing of the search box when typing (like V7), etc. issues which a number of us have raised in the last several months which are not getting fixed.

These should be SUPER easy wins and would make a great number of us really happy. Can I request someone give these types of issues a little time and correct?

Yes, getting the timecode working correctly is a big issue, however most of us use controllers and don't rely on timecode. (I'm not diminishing the fact that those changes are important, however the small stuff usually makes the biggest impact.) - I don't need to buy my wife flowers every day, however I do need to say goodbye every morning.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 10:19 am
dcomo wrote :
BPM text alignment

That's down to the particular skin you're using. Some authors will align left, some center and some right. There will be different choices of font, size, colour etc.

If there's an issue in a certain skin, you need to contact the author of that skin - or even adjust the settings yourself via the XML.

dcomo wrote :
clearing of the search box when typing

That's a feature change rather than an issue/bug.

Clearing is now done via the x in the search box. People didn't like the fact that it cleared, and requested the change on the forum.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 10:42 am
I didn't know the alignment was done via the skin since I think all the skins have it the same way. If that is the case, then I am going to edit that myself! (Having everything align left, except for the BPM is quite annoying.)

The clearing of the search box should then be a toggle option.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 8:48 pm
Ah, hang on - you're referring to the BPM column in the browser rather than the deck display?

If that's the case, there's no way to change it.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 6:21 am
Yeah, there are heading fields left aligned when the data below is right aligned. I have reported this since 2008 and it's not fixed yet.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 7:17 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
All these little fixes will come all at once, it's not like they (the coders) say 'I know exactly where X issue is I'll fix just that,' They have to study the code so they'll wait until they've several issues on one theme (region of code) to fix and do them all at once.

Right now it's TC, it's all fresh in the coders memory so they'll keep attacking it, till it's right. I hate breaking off from a job, upon returning there's always a period of "So what the hell was I doing before I stopped?"

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 7:33 am
Yeah, I'm not worried about the deck display... Sorry for not being clearer.

They are sorting the game way that a typical spreadsheet program sorts, which is text on the left and numbers on the right. However, that doesn't necessarily work for us. We should be able to force alignment left within the browser of all of the columns.

And again, it should be a toggle since I know that many people like the way it is now. (Should have three options- Standard, Forced Left, Forced Right.)

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 7:40 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Personally it doesn't bother me, Bpm is the first field and the width is so narrow you can't really tell what alignment it has, I keep all the space I can for the comments.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 7:57 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is there a place in the world where the numbers are left aligned ?? I think only Arabs have them like that.
I really dont see a bug here.
It was like that with version 7 too.. so we dont consider this a bug. Its rather a request, so please use the Wishes Forums for such things.

I am not closing this, as i may have not understood the reported issue.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 3:01 pm
My issue is where numerical columns justify to the right, the titles at the top are set to left.

It's not a bug as such but I asked for it to be corrected in V7 several times and it's the same in V8.

Just looks sloppy and untidy.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 3:07 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
ahh you mean that the headers should follow the data alignment .. well yes, it makes sense, but i have the feeling that it wont look good either, if the headers dont have the same position... not sure...anyways.ok this remains here as a minor bug. Will report and let the Team to decide.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 3:12 pm
Thank you!

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 3:24 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's exactly the same in windows explorer for example though, the header text ("Size") is left aligned because it is text, but the actual size which is a number is right aligned within the column so it lines up and makes reading it easier.
The same is default even in spreadsheets, so it's just the standard way of showing data in tables I think.

The search text not being removed on click is indeed intentional so it is possible to edit your search.
The text is selected upon selecting the search box, so no extra key presses are required to remove the previous search if you don't need it anyway.
Since the text is already selected then, it is also easy enough to just press delete or backspace to clear it, or as said, click the x button instead of the text area.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 6:04 pm
Adion,

Thank you for the reply to my post. I am so used to using V7 that it's comfortable. I am using V8 almost exclusively now (of as build 1923 since this build fixed the remainder of my major issues), however I find some things in V8 (that worked differently in V7 to be minor nuances.)

What I would always recommend is give users the choice in behavior if possible. (It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have options for V8 to act more like V7 in some aspects.)

In regards to the column alignment, yes, you are correct... If you look at any spreadsheet program (Excel, Numbers, etc.), the numbers will automatically align to the right. However, those programs have something that VDJ 8 doesn't have, which is the ability to change it. (I always align my text left aligned in columns. It's the way that _most_ of the world works.)

Posted Tue 09 Sep 14 @ 10:59 pm
dcomo wrote :
give users the choice

the ability to change it.

Amen to that. +1 from me.

One little line in the config....

Posted Wed 10 Sep 14 @ 4:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)