Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: HID Mode - CDJ 2000 - DJM 900 NXS - VDJ Bugs & Suggestions.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, first of all I would like to congratulate the Atomix Team, VDJ 8 is really an improvement over the last versions of the program, I can see it's more stable and profesional, it actually sounds better and the graphical interface is becoming sharp and clear, love it so far.

I'm a Dj that plays in festivals and clubs mostly, I still use Traktor and Resolume for my "big visual shows", but I also use rekordbox and usbs in smaller gigs, it's convenient, fast, easy and it just works. I come from a EDM background and I use Pioneer gear most of the time. I've been looking for a program to substitute the need of using resolume and add dmx support. (BTW, thanks SBDJ).

Serato is nice but it doesn't have all the features that VDJ has and I hate to carry and connect a dongle that is not really necessary, specially when most of the pro-grade dj mixers and cdjs have an internal soundcard. Mixvibes still has a loooong way to go and i don't event want to talk about it. And lastly, Traktor, with the "we'll never make the jump to video and add external plugins 'cause we are too cool" policy. haha. That being said, I was really surprised by VDJ, I really am, I haven't used it since V.5 came out, it's awesome and it has all the features I was looking for in a program.

My setup is usually a DJM900nxs mixer as my soundcard, 2 cdj2000 on HID mode and a 13" macbook i5, 8 ram.

After a really long night testing the demo version, here are my first impressions and recommendations:

- Deck assignment screen (Assign CDJ to deck 1, 2, 3 or 4 in VDJ). I know the eject button switches the player if it's not assigned correctly, but still, this is very useful when preparing a dj rig in short periods of time, or controlling 4 decks only using 2 cdjs.

- Loop Out adjust feature: Many of the EDM DJs use this as an effect, it's a native CDJ feature and I think it should be there, for whatever reason.

- 4-Beat Loop button: It activates a loop in VDJ, but any loop, not a 4 beat loop. The "loop cutter' function is also not working. (which it's very useful when doing short mixes). I know the "Call Cue/Loop" buttons change the loops, but this could be used to actually activate different cues in the song.

- Tag Track / Remove button: This actually activates the Tag Editor, it should be used to send the selected track in the browser to the Sidelist in VDJ. I don't know if the CDJS protocol would permit it, but i would love to see the Sidelist of VDJ using the "TAG LIST" button in the CDJ.

- Vinyl Speed Adjust knobs: Actually moving FX knobs rather than their original function.

- Pitch Bend: Out of the box, VDJ has a extremely high sensitivity for cdjs. I've configured the "jogSensitivityBend" parameter to 0.060000, I get a similar result to the native cdj pitch bend sensitivity, but not quite the same. My recommendation is to make it a default setting using the native sensitivity of the cdjs. Also it would be nice to deactivate the key lock of the pitch bend, It's a nice feature VDJ implemented, but I think it should be optional.

- Track Search: The left search button does not go to the beginning of the track, it only goes back a couple of seconds. Using the left "track search" button is the CDJ's way of deleting the first cue. I think it would be better if the track search buttons actually work for loading new tracks, previous or next inside the browser, just like a normal CDJ.

- Needle Search: This works perfect but it misses the Needle Lock protection, preventing a needle search while the track is playing. While i was trying the demo I found out that when I'm browsing for a track or making a loop the Needle Search get's in the way, very dangerous in a live situation.

- Controller detected dialogue: It's still appearing every time I connect a CDJ, locking all the functions of the UI until I press the OK /Accept button. Maybe It's a demo version limitation?.

- Reverse switch: It works but it has the Slip Mode feature activated by default.

- Syphon output: This should be a native feature of VDJ not an FX. It's very useful if the club/festival you are playing already has a VJ, or if you want to map the video output to a weird screen setup (round screens, etc). I've been using TCPSyphon to send Syphon over a network, it's reeeeally useful and it works like a charm, maybe the VDJ team could make this a native feature, it would be an industry's first (take that serato!).

- Audio config: I hate to compare but, Serato and Traktor have this feature implemented. It happens when you disconnect your audio interface and plug it back in, the audio will resume playing. You have no idea how many times people unplugged the usb cable out of my mixer or computer, it just happens. VDJ needs the "apply" button in the settings window to get everything working again.

- Video Out: The force full screen on a external display is not working properly for me. It may be a bug.

- VDJ start up bug: I launch VDJ with the CDJs already connected to my laptop and somehow VDJ freezes until I disconnect the usb connection between my laptop and the cdjs. This happens sometimes, not always.

- Remaining Time: The time info displaying the remaining time of each tracks has a 00:00:0 format (below the virtual dj logo for deck b). I think it would look nicer if the format is 00:00:00, that way the numbers would not move like it does at the moment.

- Master & Limiter: I hear distortion while playing 2 tracks in internal mode, maybe a little bit of headroom wouldn't hurt in the master channel. This could be avoided by pulling down the volume in the master volume knob, but it gets back to it's default position every time VDJ closes.

- Hide Cues - Effects - Loops panels: A button to hide those panels on the side would make a nice feature. (default skin).

- Make a shorter version of the decks: To get more space for the browser and video monitors. I really like the default skin, it just lacks a bit of space here and there.

- Ability to hide the mixer and crossfader when using an external mixer.

I hope this helps for future versions of VDJ, I'm really looking forward to buy the infinity license.
Keep it up guys, great work!

Posted Mon 25 Aug 14 @ 2:52 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'll address a few of those for you:

djoscart2000 wrote :
Loop Out adjust feature: Many of the EDM DJs use this as an effect, it's a native CDJ feature and I think it should be there, for whatever reason.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Are you talking about adjust the loop out marker in realtime? If so you can already do that and map it to a slider, button, or even the jogwheel.

djoscart2000 wrote :
4-Beat Loop button: It activates a loop in VDJ, but any loop, not a 4 beat loop

You can either edit the skin to change the XML, or even easier just assign a custom button, HID/MIDI button (for example the 4 beat loop button) or keyboard shortcut to perform this function:

loop 4 will activate a 4 beat loop if no loop is active, will switch to a 4 beat loop if a loop is active, or if a 4 beat loop is active then it will turn the loop off
loop ? loop off : loop 4 will activate a 4 beat loop if no loop is active or if a loop is active then it will turn the loop off

djoscart2000 wrote :
Vinyl Speed Adjust knobs: Actually moving FX knobs rather than their original function.

djoscart2000 wrote :
Track Search: The left search button does not go to the beginning of the track, it only goes back a couple of seconds. Using the left "track search" button is the CDJ's way of deleting the first cue. I think it would be better if the track search buttons actually work for loading new tracks, previous or next inside the browser, just like a normal CDJ.

djoscart2000 wrote :
Reverse switch: It works but it has the Slip Mode feature activated by default

You can easily DIY remap these :)

djoscart2000 wrote :
Needle Search: This works perfect but it misses the Needle Lock protection, preventing a needle search while the track is playing. While i was trying the demo I found out that when I'm browsing for a track or making a loop the Needle Search get's in the way, very dangerous in a live situation.

Change the mapping on the needle search from this:

param_greater 0% ? song_pos

to this:

play ? nothing : param_greater 0% ? song_pos

Posted Tue 26 Aug 14 @ 12:09 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
We still consider if changing the default mapping for the LoopIn & LoopOut buttons on the CDJs (and other Pioneer units as well) is a good thought or not.
If we do that, then the Loop Out will not exit the Loop if a Loop is active, which kinda "conflicts" with the default description of the action.

The "security" for the song progress bar is also another issue that we are still considering. Having this security of course prevents from accidental movement of the track, but on the other hand, users will wonder why this is not working (if the track is playing).

Both the above issues are under discussion, so we would like your input too.

The Vinyl Speed adjust knobs (FX knobs) will be modified soon.

Mapping files for the CDJs are not yet reviewed (we have made only minor changes for version 8), so feel free to comment.

Posted Tue 26 Aug 14 @ 12:21 pm
Thanks for your reply SBDJ, just implemented the needle search mapping and it worked great. As for the other mappings i'll have to learn a bit more about the language used, i'm still getting used to it. The 'loop out' adjust feature actually adjusts the loop out marker using the jogwheel just like you mentioned. If it's possible, I would like to talk to you in private about a couple of ideas I have for some plugins.

Djdad, thanks for your reply too, I'm so happy about the Atomix team customer support. Here's my opinion about the mapping of the CDJs:

As I mentioned earlier, I tried almost every Dj program there is, and my first concern was that the CDJs actually work in HID mode like it does with a CD/USB/SD inserted. Not everyone is a nerd like me that spends time finding out how to remap the CDJs to get all the features working normally, lol. The 'loop out adjust' feature imo is a must for cdjs, I use it a lot to start or end a dj set, the crowd goes nuts, i love it. If i need to exit the active loop I'll just use the 'reloop/exit' button right next to the 'out' button. Maybe adding a loopout_adjust mapping that behaves just like a pioneer cdj is the solution?

The needle search security is a good thing to get implemented, if you're worried about users not realizing that there is a security lock while a track is playing, simply add the default message on the CDJ screen that is always displayed while using cd/usbs/sds, it reads "NEEDLE LOCK". I'll be happy to give you my input on any upcoming cdj/djm mapping related stuff if you need me to.

Thanks and sorry for my broken english :)

Posted Tue 26 Aug 14 @ 12:56 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You could probably even change that command to:

play ? show_text 'NEEDLE LOCK' 1000 : param_greater 0% ? song_pos

I haven't tested it though!

Posted Tue 26 Aug 14 @ 1:34 pm
Just tried it, doesn't work.

Posted Tue 26 Aug 14 @ 1:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)