Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: First night using VDJ8 in public

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Last night I decided to give v8 a try in public (latest beta build 1878 on Mac.) Being what I know from testing and feedback in this forum, it was nerve wracking, but overall it went well. (I had a backup laptop running v7 nearby and had a CD cued up in the club's CD player, in the event v8 decided to crash or the laptop overheated. - Temps were ok, however I have the SkinFPS set to 16, which seems to work well for me.) - I don't know how many times (50+) that I put my hand gently on the top of the keyboard to check for heat. (50% realistic worry, 50% paranoia.)

Anyway, first the sound quality that comes from v8 is unparalleled. Being a v7 user for a few years and a Traktor user before that, v8's audio is awesome. Everything sounded fuller and much warmer. (My controller last night was a Denon DJ-MC3000.)

Here's some oddities that I found. Not sure if these are settings or bugs. Going to list them all out and request feedback:

In V7, when you press SYNC to match the pitch on the other deck, other than syncing the pitch, the onscreen slider also moves to the appropriate position. In v8, the slider does not move. The downside effect of this is when you move the pitch slider on the controller (even if you hit it with your hand a slight bit), the pitch reverts back to the original value, meaning that the song will either speed up or drag immediately.

In v7, when you click into the search bar after doing a search, the bar clears, the search resets. In v8, clicking into the search bar simply highlights the text and allows you to over-type, however the search doesn't revert. (This is like Serato, however it's an annoyance.)

In v7, when there's a cue point set within a track, pressing play will always start the song from the first cue point. In v8, pressing play will start the song from the front. I found that I needed to press the button on the controller for the first cue point. (Something to get used to.)

The last thing that I ran into a bunch last night, is on some songs, VDJ8 detected the start of the song too far into the track. On some songs, I had to use the jog dials to 'rewind' the song back a few seconds to get to the start of the track. (Sometimes it'd work great, sometimes not.)

Lastly, in the default 4 skin deck running at 1600x900, the headphone text has a typo. It's missing the final 'E'. (Spelled HEADPHON.)

If there's any setting tweaks to adjust anything in the above, please let me know.

Getting there!

Posted Sun 13 Jul 14 @ 11:50 am
One more thing to add. Using the default V8 4 deck skin, the +/- icons next to the folders do not appear, so there is no visual to show if there are sub-folders or not.
(This may occur under different skins as well, I just haven't tested.)

Posted Sun 13 Jul 14 @ 12:07 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
dcomo wrote :

In V7, when you press SYNC to match the pitch on the other deck, other than syncing the pitch, the onscreen slider also moves to the appropriate position. In v8, the slider does not move. The downside effect of this is when you move the pitch slider on the controller (even if you hit it with your hand a slight bit), the pitch reverts back to the original value, meaning that the song will either speed up or drag immediately.

In v7, when you click into the search bar after doing a search, the bar clears, the search resets. In v8, clicking into the search bar simply highlights the text and allows you to over-type, however the search doesn't revert. (This is like Serato, however it's an annoyance.)

For the first check the option: controllerTakeoverModePitch

The 2nd was a request of many users. Don't know if there is an option to turn this behaviour off or back to what it was like in v7.
However, there is an action you could use: clear_search

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 8:22 am
I will need to play with this more as it's set to 'Pickup' which is what I would expect it to be. I think there may be a bug here.
(However, I want to do more investigation first.)

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 8:46 am
There are different features for the pickup:

- if you use pickup it's working like in version 7
- instant does exactely what it is designed for. If you move the slider a bit the Software will catch exactely the value from the slider and jump to that position (not useful for sync)
- gradual is my personal favorit because you can use sync and also have instant access to the fader position.

Greets, Heiko

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 9:07 am
That's what I thought, however even thought it was set to 'Pickup' it felt like it was set to instant. I'll test more tonight with the exact gear I used over the weekend and report back.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 9:24 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Indeed there is an issue in the Mac version and the Pitch. Has been reported already.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 1:39 pm
Ah ha! That's likely exactly what I was hitting into the other night.

It's far from heinous, however more of an annoyance.

Thanks for the info.

Posted Mon 14 Jul 14 @ 1:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)