Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Screen Tearing / VideoForceFullScreen

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djmrmcPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have been testing out video in V8 (getting ready to move on from 7) and noticed last night that no matter what video I play I get horizontal screen tearing and the video doesn't look that smooth. Tested in 1855 but also same problem in 1872.

Never had an issue in V7 at all. All videos play perfectly and there is no screen tearing whatsoever.

Win7 64bit SP1
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
Mobility Radeon HD4500

Also running the latest drivers available for the above video card too.

What I have noticed is that if I change the setting (VideoForceFullScreen from 0 to 1 the problem goes away and there is no screen tearing. Videos look great. However if I try to minimise VDJ to open another program or just check the taskbar for example the screen flashes and eventually goes back to VDJ. I can't open anything else or minimise VDJ. The screen will just flash.

If I set VideoForceFullScreen back to 0 I can minimise VDJ and it doesn't flicker however the screen tearing returns.

Isn't the correct setting VideoForceFullScreen 0?

Any ideas on how to fix the screen tearing. As I said earlier none of these issues existed in V7, same setup.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 5:22 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Yes, the correct and recommended setting for VideoForceFullScreen is 0.
This option is kind of a debug option and should just be set to 1, if you have any problems (like you do).

Can't say any more, maybe the Devs will jump in to gather more informations that will help find a final fix for this problem.

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 5:27 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Your laptop has dual video card (e.g IntelHD and Radeon) ?
What do you get in the VideoDriver setting ?
Are you using the VGA or the HDMI connection ?

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 6:33 am
djdad wrote :
Your laptop has dual video card (e.g IntelHD and Radeon) ?
What do you get in the VideoDriver setting ?
Are you using the VGA or the HDMI connection ?

1. No Intel Graphics. Just a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 series. Single Card. 512MB

2. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 series, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 series

3. HDMI output at 720p to a LG LED LCD for testing.

As stated works flawlessly on V7 same setup when using HDMI

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 6:49 am
have you updated the drivers on the card? I had a issue like this on the gateway.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 11:53 am
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :
have you updated the drivers on the card? I had a issue like this on the gateway.

I am running the most up to date driver available for this hardware. Catalyst 13.9. There is no newer driver available.

Problem still exists.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:56 pm
If everything works well in 7, then his card seems to be OK. The tearing goes away, when he changes a setting in 8, but that causes other issues. What screen flashes, your monitor, or the second screen out? Are you dead in the water, and have to close?

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 1:23 pm
Been doing a lot of testing with smoothness and 2nd monitor.

When videoForceFullScreen is set to 1, VDJ uses the hardware full screen mode. When videoForceFullScreen is set to 0, it uses a window. I could only test this on an i7 laptop with an Intel 4000 HD GPU so that may not be ideal. Can't test 2nd monitor right now on i7 tower since I am short a monitor. Note that videoForceFullScreen set to 1 uses the same display mechanism at VDJ7 does for a 2nd monitor. ( hardware full screen )

I have the software tools that will pick up any kind of tearing, stutter, or jitter. You can't detect this easily with just video running.

For this round of testing, I played videos, camera and slideshow at same time. Also ran something that detects smoothness easily. Video FPS set to 60.

With videoForceFullScreen set to 1, everything was very smooth for the most part. The constant skin drawing has an impact when pushing it like this. Minimize the skin or don't push quite as hard and perfect smooth. Just a slight jitter in the worse case but mostly very smooth.

With videoForceFullScreen set to 0, it is quite easy to cause stutter on this i7 and GPU when going to 2nd screen. On the laptop screen, everything was fine with videoForceFullScreen set to 0.

With all the above testing, CPU was always under 8 percent with the average slightly higher when videoForceFullscreen to set to 0.

I also tested some scenarios outside of VDJ. When going to a window under ideal conditions, I could pretty much achieve smoothness without pushing it hard. Even then was seeing a pulse (stutter) but not too bad. In this independent testing, pushing it in windowed full screen was not good, just like it was no good in VDJ in windowed mode.

If you read thru the threads here about videoForceFullScreen you see the recommendation is to set it to 0. Clearly in my case and I would assume most cases it should be set to 1 unless there are problems with VDJ8. VDJ7 always had the concept of videoForceFullscreen set to 1 when going to 2nd monitor as far as I know.

So why are you recommending videoForceFullScreen should be set to 0 or are you stilling recommending that?

When videoForceFullScreen is set to 0, it can be easier to overlay windows etc, but for most systems it will do no good as far as smoothness goes. Trying to get absolute smoothness in a window has always been either very difficult or impossible on some systems.

On slower computers you are likely to see an increase in CPU when setting videoForceFullScreen to 0 and this increase can make everything worse in addition to other problems. Apparently, you are recommending a slower mechanism for display output.

By the way, are you trying to do vertical sync on the skin drawing ? It may be that D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE is fine there and may reduce the impact of the constant skin drawing.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 14 @ 6:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)