Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Can't deactivate under some circumstances - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Don - i can't get rid of the EV GUI. Everytime i open VDJ it pops up on its own.

EV is not active anywhere and i can't close it. Can you not add an option where if its active the 'X' minimizes the GUI, itf its inactive it closes the GUI completely?
After all as soon as the effect is active the GUI will pop up again.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 5:05 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Don - i can't get rid of the EV GUI. Everytime i open VDJ it pops up on its own.

EV is not active anywhere and i can't close it. Can you not add an option where if its active the 'X' minimizes the GUI, itf its inactive it closes the GUI completely?
After all as soon as the effect is active the GUI will pop up again.

If it is selected as an effect anywhere it remains visible or minimized.

shut down rule: If it is not selected as an effect anywhere and not active and the [+/-] is at plus it will close down completely.

The problem here is there is no way to bring up the gui for a master. No [+/-] for a master. Suppose I shut it down and it's inactive say on master, how do you bring it back up? or bring it up in the first place on a master ?

I could bring it up on activation but it's get confusing one way or the other. When you hit the X button now, it tells VDJ it's ok to shut down and EV minimizes itself. Does the minimize bother you ? Nothing really shuts down until VDJ thinks it ready. I can pretend it's gone by hiding it, but then how do it bring it back up....

I knew this was going to be tough to explain. No other effect I know of allows a gui on the master without script.

I am open for suggestions... Hiding makes it more confusing.

I can give you a couple options to play around with and you could do what you want. I am thinking you would not like it but we could try it.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 6:30 pm
Ah ok - will try tomorrow.

Makes sense now though.

People can still bring up the GUI by using the cog in the drop down menu. That's the same for all effects on master.
Unless there is a custom button, keyboard shortcut or custom skin coded to
deck master show_effct_gui (slot in mastermixer)

or

deck master show_effect_gui 'video' (slot in videomixer)

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 6:39 pm
Yeah I get that... I did not think that minimize was a bad alternative though. Confusing a little maybe but anyway is going to be confusing.

The cog button brings up the GUI yes ( I did not know :) and it also tells VDJ not to shut it down as well even when not active and not selected as an effect. So 3 things come into play about shutdown.

1) Is it active ?

2) Is it selected as an effect ? If this is true, then it's loaded and just a matter of the GUI up or down.

3) Is the gui state [+/-] at [+] ? If it is at [-] VDJ will not shut it down.

When you hit the X button in EV it sets the GUI state to [+] telling VDJ it's ok to shutdown if not active and not selected anywhere.

Posted Sat 28 Jun 14 @ 6:42 pm
The awkward work around for the problem does not do exactly what I need it to do.

Read above for a description of the problem if you need to. I just don't have the wind to explain it again.

I need to do: SendCommand ("effect_select 'EssentialVisuals' "); and just need to do this temporarily. This allows me to control the VDJ state of EV when it is not selected as the current effect. Then I restore the effect that was there in the first place.

That works and gives me control. The problem is, the effect that is currently in the slot becomes inactive if it was active. Don't know why that happens. I almost never use script and whenever I do, it seems I have to hunt my way thru to find the proper syntax for it.

So how can I do this properly. Or can I ? I am on hold with new updates for EV until I can figure out a proper work around or it gets fixed in VDJ.

Posted Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 11:05 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
There is effect_select and effect_select_multi, where multi allows multiple effects to be active, and the first one disables the previous effect.
I missed why you have to mess with the selected effect though. If you already have an instance running then it is already either selected, gui displayed or active.

Also, in the current version you shouldn't get different instances when the effect is selected on the video tab or the master tab (or in 3 slots on the decks)

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 3:22 am
Adion wrote :
There is effect_select and effect_select_multi, where multi allows multiple effects to be active, and the first one disables the previous effect.

I will try it. When you select_effect with a different effect and the previous effect was active, is it supposed to deactivate the previous effect? It does not do that if you use the drop down arrow.

Adion wrote :
I missed why you have to mess with the selected effect though. If you already have an instance running then it is already either selected, gui displayed or active.

8 posts down. SendCommand stops working if not the selected effect, if active, and GUI is at [+]

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/190707/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/Can_t_deactivate_under_some_circumstances.html?page=1

Adion wrote :
Also, in the current version you shouldn't get different instances when the effect is selected on the video tab or the master tab (or in 3 slots on the decks)

Ok good

Posted Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 10:18 am
Well I sort of got it to work with effect_select_multi. Not really but with some odd ball selects and then multi it seems to be doing what I need.

Ok, after trying a lot of syntax to determine if an effect is active or not. What is the syntax to determine if an effect is active? I don't need the active deck since multiple effects can be active on one deck. Every thing I tried returned E_FAIL.

Any idea when this might be fixed for real? In the amount of time I have spent on trying to work around it, it probably could have been fixed.

Repeating this question:

When you select_effect with a different effect and the previous effect was active, is it supposed to deactivate the previous effect? It does not do that if you use the drop down arrow.

Posted Wed 02 Jul 14 @ 12:54 pm
Thanks for fixing this guys. Fixed from 1872 and up.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 1:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)