Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Quantize Hot Cues - By Design??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys,

I know this has been raised before in the bug forum but is it a bug that the Hot Cue quantize function seems a little ''Off''? My beat grids are set perfectly, my hot cues are set perfectly on beat and when I hit the hot cue it is very precise where you have to hit it to drop right, to early and the hot cue starts behind where it should.... I always thought the idea of quantize was so you could be a little off but it would still drop exactly where wanted.

Regards John

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 7:10 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Smart Cue is possible enabled. Turn it off. Available in the Large HotCue panel and in the Deck Options round button.

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 8:36 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I think he's using smart cue but the margin for error is quiet small,
Logically with smart cue on (quantized 1.000) you should get 1/2 a beat either way and it still fire the cue sync'd (although if on the late side it will cut off the first beat)

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 9:19 am
locodog wrote :
Logically with smart cue on (quantized 1.000) you should get 1/2 a beat either way and it still fire the cue sync'd (although if on the late side it will cut off the first beat)

Hi DJDad,

Locodog is correct - there is virtually no margin available.... Surely this can't be by design is it? I am finding it is cutting the first beat off more than not to the point it makes the quantize function un-useable. I only use quantize as it enables me to be more creative with effects etc. but because there is hardly any margin for error I see no point, I may as well just hit play and then press sync (this way enables me to keep phase in-line), this is not how I have used quantize in the past on other software's. Is this how VDJ plan to keep it or do you know if it may be tweaked?

Regards John

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 10:29 am
What do you have smart cue quantized to? (in options,)
Also you can just add '& sync' to your hotcue scripts

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 12:25 pm
Hi Loco,

Smart cue quantized to one beat, never used scripts so not sure about that.... I have noticed though it is out by about half a beat.... really strange.....

Posted Thu 19 Jun 14 @ 12:46 pm
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
johntankard wrote :
locodog wrote :

this is not how I have used quantize in the past on other software's. Is this how VDJ plan to keep it or do you know if it may be tweaked?

Regards John

If you happen to use the smartcue on v7, there's a huge difference. Smartcue on v8 is not that smart at all.

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 12:17 pm
Set quantize to 4 and you have lots of room for error (2 beats prior)

Posted Fri 20 Jun 14 @ 2:45 pm
Ok,

Thanks for the reply but 4 wont cut it as it takes you back too far, especially if wanting to quantize a 1 beat hotcue..... Its hard to explain but I've been using mixvibes cross for last couple of weeks and they have it perfect. Quantize, hotloops etc all work as you would expect with GREAT accuracy, there is a downside cross doesn't play well with a core 2 duo laptop with a large library whereas VDJ8 does with ease. I just hope Atomix are planning to really work on the quantize function in the future after the bugs are sorted....

Posted Wed 25 Jun 14 @ 1:57 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am having those same issues where, the cue point whe hit are not playing on beat & on time!

Posted Wed 25 Jun 14 @ 7:26 pm
We might as well change the name from smartcue to hit-and-miss-cue.

Posted Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 1:25 am
I know guys - glad there are others who agree.... Lets hope Atomix now regard this as a bug and fix it.... Its really the only thing I'm unhappy with now, apart from that and a few minor things a great piece of software. As said before if Atomix want to see a great Quantize function look at Mixvibes Cross. - Want to keep on using VDJ8 so please take Quantize seriously.

Kind Regards John

Posted Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 8:55 am
jenhenPRO InfinityMember since 2004
can someone tell me how to turn quantize on? This is something I've been looking for it sounds really promising especially since I have 8 cue points per song

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 10:37 pm
b1870
"-Synchronized play/cue now snaps to nearest beat instead of always going before the requested position"

On hotcue with smart cue on yes it's improved but not really on smartplay using play_stutter.

Posted Sun 06 Jul 14 @ 5:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)